CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 700 will be upgraded to 750 and expect ABS!
The NC already has for this year and abs will be standard.
NC750X ABS | NC750X | NC750X | Adventure | Moto | Honda Italia

I expect the CTX will be crossed over for the 2015 model and abs will standard. It makes perfect sence cause the CTX lags a year behind the NC. Overall it sucks for me and is also good. I haven't got the 700 yet and I will have to wait even longer for the next year model~

Specs:
Parallel-twin, 8 valve SOHC, liquid Cooled
Displacement 745CC Bore & stroke 77X80mm
Compression Ratio 10.7:1
Maximum Power 40.3 KW (55HP)/6,250r/min
Maximum torque 68Nm at 4,750 rev/min 95/1EC
3.7l Oil Capacity

P.S. The DCT will still be an option for both ctx's.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
It makes sense it will not be in the USA as the model numbers point out this is based not on the CTX but the NC700X or NC700S which was out before the CTX and is a good seller in Europe. so maybe next year.

Granted every bit of power they can add to the CTX will help it but the amounts I see gained like 4.4 lb of torque is not enough to be very useful in my thinking. The bike would really benefit from maybe 15-20hp and another 600-1000 rpm to make the gears have a wider range. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
In EU they have different licensing system. It's below 500cc or above 500cc.
So, not to undermine sales of Honda 500cc by license holders who can ride above that threshold, Honda widen the gap between ingene sizes, so, people who doesn't want bigger engine stay with 500cc, but people who decisively want larger displacement, jump to 750cc.
Because before, the difference was too small for "smaller bike crowd" to decide between 500 and 670, but now it's all sorted out for them. Each line has its own buyers now.
Having said that, I'm not sure we will ever see CTX750 in US, but who knows, maybe at some point in time, it will make its way here. Would be nice.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I would love to see the 750cc come to the states but I think this is probably a pipe dream. The new 2015 Vultus is a good indication. The European release is a 750cc. The US model is a 670cc. This may be do to the new emission and fuel requirements manufacturers are having to cope with. Just like cagers, certain models are having to run downsized engines to meet these requirements in order to allow more performance oriented models to stay at or near their power ratings. US requirements are more stringent than European standards.

I'm not sure this is true and I'm still trying to prove this but one of the writers evaluating the new NC750 stated it required premium fuel. That would never go over here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Premium Fuel 750 ?

Using premium fuel shouldn't be a deal breaker. Most euro bikes imported to the USA use premium. Heck all of my bikes require premium right now. Many large American cruisers need premium too. Don't get me wrong, I plan to buy a CTX regardless of fuel requirements (but I would PREFER regular fuel).

Pathfinder

·
Registered
40 Posts
Honda Wins Anyway!

Giving it more thought, I believe Honda is just taking the cheap way out here. Each new engine design has to be approved by EPA and safety folks. It costs Honda money and time to get this done in the USA. They think folks buying THESE bikes HERE don't care about power. I have ridden the 700 and like it but would prefer just a little more power, maybe even make it an 800 or 850. But don't add extra weight as the package handles great like it is. If they have to add weight just leave it alone! I may buy a 700 soon anyway so Honda will have won the fight even with me.

Pathfinder

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
We also have to remember that bikes sold here in the US have to meet CARB requirements as well, not just EPA requirements. This is a totally deferent and expensive process added to the mix. I remember when Dodge was designing the new Hemi and GM was designing the new 4.7 V8. Both cost the companies over a billion to design and certify before production could start.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nowhere can I find a HONDA statement published that says there will be a CTX 700 DCT ABS model produced in 2015. I don't recall seeing HONDA commiting to a manual 2015 CTX either. Is there going to be one?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Beware of waiting...
Just like waiting for the newest, fastest computer hardware. If you continue to wait for the newest, greatest thing, you will be forever waiting for the newest greatest thing... There will always be a newer, greater thing just on the horizon, waiting to replace whatever is available now. If you never decide that the current thing is "good enough" then you'll never have anything.

Unfortunately the Honda websites of other countries are of no use to us here, if they were then I want my Honda Super Cub 110! http://www.honda.mx/motos/supercub110/

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The US has the most stringent safety and environmental requirements in the world. Plus we as Americans are rather finicky as to what we buy when it comes to hard sell items. That's why what works in other foreign markets doesn't necessarily make it to the US.

The only advantage the 750cc parallel twin engine has over the 680cc engine is 4hp and 4 pounds of torque. Since it doesn't have to meet the more stringent EPA requirements and doesn't have to use Ethanol, the 750cc is cost effective to sell for the European and Asian markets. Not so in the US. The only reason to justify the expense of meeting US standards would be to standardize the production line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts