1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
975 Posts
Not true; the "E" does have meaning but only to dealers. It means that it's a 2014 model, but that extra letter designation is not really intended for the consumer and on the dealers shipping documents, the "E" should be listed all the models; not just some of them. In other words, if a dealer is listing one model with the "E" designation and not another, then they are confused and/or misrepresenting Honda models to you, even if the misrepresentation is unintentional.

In the case of the naked CTX700, that are advertised to us as either the CTX700N or CTX700ND, the dealers should have them listed as either CTX700NE (for the manual shift/regular brakes) and CTX700NDE (for the DSG and ABS brakes).

Here is another point: If you see a black one, it could be either a CTX700N or a CTX700ND, because the manual tranny and standard brakes can be fitted with either color, however, if you see a red one, then it is a manual with standard brakes and cannot be a dual clutch and ABS, because the dual clutch and ABS comes only in black.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thank you Greg, in essence they are the same bike.
I ran into this "E" phenomenon when I was shopping different dealers in May. A dealer in Athens, TN told me they were getting in a black CTX700NE via email. They were the first dealer in my area to get a CTX of any style. I assumed without asking that she had made a typo and meant CTX700ND and that it would be a DSG/ABS model. The fact that it was black sort of added evidence to my assumption. When I went by the dealership to check out the bike (I wanted a fairing model, but wanted to check out the N model, since it was the first one out to see if it was really going to be the bike for me), it was a standard model. Later, I checked in with another dealer, and that's when I learned about the letter "E". I actually saw it for myself on their shipping list. All the CTXs had the letter "E" as the last letter. I asked the salesman what the letter E was all about. He said that it meant that it was a '14 model, which all CTX are at this point.

But in the case of the linked website, I would call and ask to be sure, because they included one model without the E and one with the E, which doesn't add up. In this case, it could be a typo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts