CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a nightmare looking over this forum and the internet in general. I could use some advice for a tall guy.

I am 6'3 and most of the time I ride my naked ctx700 (2015) around town. That's fine and I have no issues.

Last year I took a ride from south Georgia to Orlando FL. It had me on I-10 for some time and I experienced so much buffering from bigger trucks that I added a few hours on my trip home and took back roads.
I have been reading all over this forum and several windscreens have been mentioned (PUIG, National, Madstad, and MRA). I just need to find out if there are any other tall riders that have used these aftermarket windscreens and enjoyed them.
The PUIG Touring II seems to be a popular choice here but most of the riders mention they are between 5'5 to 5'10 and there was a mention of possible burn damage from windscreen light refraction.
I looked at the Madstad, and I liked that I could get it in a "22 or "24 windscreen, but I am looking at about $300.00 for that as compared to the PUIG at $150.00. It's hard to justify that cost when I only make the ride once a year.
I understand there are so many posts on windscreens but I wanted to do one more for the tall riders. Maybe even if its shorter than I like it would be better than nothing?
Any advice would be nice. I was hoping to stick closer to the $150.00, but I might just have to pay if I want proper protection at my height.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sort of. I either need to shell out 300.00 for the taller windscreen or settle for the shorter windscreens. I just need to find out if anyone close to my height has used one of the shorter ones with ok results or if it would be a waste of money. The lack of a windscreen is pretty rough at interstate speeds, so maybe a short one would help. That's the info I am looking and hoping for.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I’m only 5’-10” and I have a GIVI with an add-on at top that’s adjustable. I think it’s about as good as possible for these bikes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After more research, it looks like even a short windscreen is worth it for a tall guy. Now I just have to choose one...
Thank you for the input Phil. I am going to go with a shorter one and see how it does on the ride. If I remember, I'll come back and update this post with results.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm 6'1 and shelled out the dough for the tall madstad 24". I commute on the freeway every day so it was worth it to me. No buffeting at all. Just my 2¢. Take a look at the picture in my showcase if you want to see what it looks like on the naked bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't choose one of the shorter screens - I tried a couple of different ones on my 700n and it moved the wind from chest level to head level. Wind howl and head buffeting was unbearable, even with adjusting it every which way, and I ended up taking it off. This was a couple of months ago and I'm so used to the wind on this bike now that even 90+ feels fine.

You might get better results with one of the taller Madstads, but don't waste your time on the shorter ones.

Just my $0.02

6'1" here too

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX 700 DTS ABS
22 Posts
I also agree that a taller windshield would be the better option. I purchased a Ermax touring 17 inch windshield which is a French brand and found it to be a little too short and still creating some buffeting. I ended up buying an MRAX-Creen Tour spoiler blade from Revzilla that attaches to the top of the existing windshield with clamps and has many adjustment features. It totally fixed the buffeting problem.

I am 6'2''.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a puig on my ctx700n. It looks perfect, but doesn't offer much protection.
I'm 5'10" but am long from the waist up. Back in the day I was fan of the windjammer fairings.
If you find what works, I might get one too.
Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have the Madstad 22 inch on a N model. At the time I bought it I did not know I could get it even taller. The screen is adjustable and I have found that the height of the windshield is not the issue. The more I adjust it out and the taller the more buffeting I get. As I slowly duck behind the shield I get the same buffeting so I don’t think the height is the problem but the wideth of the shield or the wind coming up from below that is creating the problem. I like the Madsatd N model.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sort of. I either need to shell out 300.00 for the taller windscreen or settle for the shorter windscreens. I just need to find out if anyone close to my height has used one of the shorter ones with ok results or if it would be a waste of money. The lack of a windscreen is pretty rough at interstate speeds, so maybe a short one would help. That's the info I am looking and hoping for.
Owned aKawasaki 500 nija with the small screen standard , buffeting on this was alot less than on the CTX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys.
I have the model with fairings and am 6'2 and tried taking the screen off to see what it's like. Only did this yesterday and had a short ride after. The airflow seems much smoother and felt good on a hot day to get more wind on the chest. I ride for enjoyment rather than commuting and so far no long trips so stay away from the long straight boring roads.
Might change my mind when it gets cold again.

Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts