CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, new member here, my Kawasaki Versys 650 was murdered by a Pontiac G6 a week or so ago and I immediately snapped up a 2014 CTX700n minty clean with low 11,200km / 7000 mi for $4200 Canadian (~$3200 USD). My short legs and 49 year old body are thanking me already.

I am planning my winter upgrades which include either soft or hard bags, maybe a tail bag or a dry bag, and a touring windscreen.

I understand my first step should be to install inner supports, OEM# 08L72-MJF-A00 or Shad H0CT74CI but I can't find either in Canada and the few US sites I found the Shad won't ship up here. My local Honda dealer is run by baboons they can't even find 08L72-MJF-A00 in their system let alone order it for me...

I could do the 25" shelf bracket trick I have seen on here, but really don't want the bags/strap pressing and rubbing on the plastic painted trim.

Are there any alternatives, or has anyone come up with a solution?

Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hi Jim; welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike. two questions: one, where do you hail from? and did you get the faired or the naked version of the bike? I'm assuming you don't have a DCT since you did buy it north of the border. I just put mine in the shed for the winter.

I got the OEM rear carrier (already had the mini sissy bar with inserts) and added the Shad Sh46 top box at the back. I also got a pair of SH36 hard bags. Keep an eye out on Kijiji or other used item sites. Someone was selling a complete kit including the 3P mounting system, pair of hard bags and a set of inner bags as well. Got the whole thing for about $350, then sold off the mounting system which paid for my set designed for the CTX.

Phil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, the bike is Naked Manual with ABS, I ordered the inner support since it is the first step for any kind of luggage.

I am in southern Ontario, I am hoping to get one more ride in but it looks like it is probably time to winterize..

I plan to have some luggage mounted before spring, my last bike had a tank bag, Givi top box and soft panniers. It was great for quick runs to the store. I sure do miss having somewhere to keep a flat tire kit and 12 V pump.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
once you get the inner supports, you have options. If you search various threads, you can go the OEM route, or some manufacturers have dedicated rear carriers that are designed for the bike.

I had my last ride and got bike into shed yesterday. now everything is white and covered in snow here in Ottawa. There are forum members near St. Jacob, and in Niagra area too.

I keep my Shad 46 litre top box on all the time: it holds a lot of stuff. I'm sure you will get an interesting combination of storage space.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just curious. How do you know that yours has ABS? My understanding is that the non-DCT bikes were also provisioned without ABS to keep the cost down and that it wasn't an option. My son bought a 2014 CTX700n and I thought it was supposed to have it but then read that none of them have it. Would love to be proven wrong!

·
Registered
722 Posts
The ABS ring is in yellow:

If you see this, you have ABS. I'm pretty sure all Canadian models have ABS by law.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup. Mine has ABS. It is marked on the front fender, it has an ABS light on the dash, it has the ABS rings and an ABS fuse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts