CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the original flasher box locked? I’m looking to swap it out the OEM turn signal lights (front & back) into LED’s which require an updated flasher box. Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
The turn signal flasher is located under the rear left side plastic cover. Be sure to get an LED compatible flasher. Some of the flashers that just say electronic won't work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced all the lights looks awesome works great except the relay on my headlight runs super hot. Did you guys insulate your relay? I’m worried it will melt wires/plastic. Is anyone running an LED headlight without a relay wired in? The relay I’m using for my H4 is from superbrightleds. Maybe there’s a more compact unit that doesn’t run as hot? Or maybe I don’t really need a relay for the front headlight? I read without a relay they end up burning brighter for awhile but then go bad. Thanks

·
Registered
895 Posts
Replaced all the lights looks awesome works great except the relay on my headlight runs super hot. Did you guys insulate your relay? I’m worried it will melt wires/plastic. Is anyone running an LED headlight without a relay wired in? The relay I’m using for my H4 is from superbrightleds. Maybe there’s a more compact unit that doesn’t run as hot? Or maybe I don’t really need a relay for the front headlight? I read without a relay they end up burning brighter for awhile but then go bad. Thanks
Insulating it will only increase the relay's temperature... I would tuck it out of the way of any wires while still placing it in a location that gets adequate airflow to help regulate the temperature. As for getting too hot, I highly doubt it will get hot enough to melt wires. If so, superbrightleds has a serious design issue... Even the crappiest wire insulation is above boiling. Splash some water on it from a spray bottle and see if it sizzles... that will be your indicator it is getting too hot.

You could also thermal epoxy on some heat sinks to the relay to increase the cooling on it if you are that concerned. Thermal - Heat Sinks | Fans, Thermal Management | DigiKey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts