CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer said the Honda Rep was just at his shop and he expects the CTX700D to be in by Mid-June instead of Mid-July. Might be in in time for my summer trip. Whoo Hoo!

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I just talked to my dealer this morning and he said that they would ship the beginning of July. Seems there is a bit of discrepancy from the top. I did reserve a 700D though.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Lots of discrepancies, I've found, from talking to different dealers and even different salespeople at the same dealership. I called one dealership in Athens (just southwest of Knoxville) yesterday. They have a CTX700D on display, but they close @ 2PM eastern time on Saturdays, and it was too late for me to get there to sit and fit before they closed.

I then called a big dealership in Murfreesboro (just southeast of Nashville) to see if they had one to sit on. He said he had no idea when they were coming in but wished that they had one.

I then called the largest Honda dealership in the world (their words; not mine) in Chattanooga. That salesman told me they expect to start getting CTX700Ns and CTX700s in August or September. I told him about the small mom and pops just up the interstate with one on their sales floor. He was perplexed as to why other dealerships had them and then went on this long spill as to the reasons I need to wait till the end of summer to buy one from him.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
My dealer said as a Powerhouse dealer he would be the one in the area to get them first. I did tell him about Maxim Honda in Allen, TX and other places in the US. He was perplexed.

·
Registered
975 Posts
This is a guess on my part, so it's pure speculation, but I have a feeling that these high-volume dealers get in a truckload at a time, and maybe, they sort of build orders until a trailer load is full. Maybe they get a discount doing it this way from Honda, or just maybe it's easier logistically. This probably works very well for them, and they usually have many more models and quantities on hand than smaller dealers, but in situations like this one, where a new model has just come out, they miss out on the first shipments, because they've already built a trailer load.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was amazed that when we went to the dealer to buy, not look, we knew more about the bike than they did. We even had to tell the salesman where to look on the Honda site to find the D model. If I did not want it so bad, I would have walked, but I wanted it more than I was amazed at his lack of knowledge. I don't know if this is a Honda issue or a dealer issue. I keep hearing the "we don't have any brochures on that" and "Honda does not tell us anything". Anyway, I believe the bike sells itself regardless of dealership input. Eventually when they become more popular, the dealer will have to step up, because as we have read here, we do have choices in where we go. We'll go where we get the best service.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Some dealers just let the bikes do the talking but it makes their sales people look clueless. They know ATVs & UTVs but even though they ride they don't really know their stuff. The kid they have here is the only sales person unless you count the manager. The manager knows more but is usually busy.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Made a visit the Honda dealership in Fremont, CA. where I have a deposit on a CTX700D model. They advised that they expect two bikes to arrive next week: one CTX700N and one CTX700X. They expect the CTX700D models to arrive in August.

I ride a 12 Honda VFR1200FD with DCT and I am a "happy camper" for sure, but on long rides the sport riding position is very taxing on my 86 year old frame. Looking forward to long rides down the road of life on a Honda CTX700D.

Thank you Honda,

:)Gene

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Made a visit the Honda dealership in Fremont, CA. where I have a deposit on a CTX700D model. They advised that they expect two bikes to arrive next week: one CTX700N and one CTX700X. They expect the CTX700D models to arrive in August.

I ride a 12 Honda VFR1200FD with DCT and I am a "happy camper" for sure, but on long rides the sport riding position is very taxing on my 86 year old frame. Looking forward to long rides down the road of life on a Honda CTX700D.

Thank you Honda,

:)Gene
I traded my 04 VFR in on the CTX 6/13. No regrets. I had lowered it and put on Helibars and it was still "taxing". I am planning a 200 mile ride Sunday with some local riders (most on sport bikes). You will like how easy it is to move around the garage and parking it.

wow, 86, I am 64 with arthritis and back surgery so you give me hope.

Reactions: VFRrider

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
The sales rep is wrong. My owners manual states the ctx700ND is the DCT machine and I think ABS is standard with the DCT

and that the ctx700N (naked basic model) can also be the ctx700NA (naked with abs).

On the page 22 is shows the instrument panel which shows the drive mode setting of the DCT and also shows the ABS idiot light so that I why I think the two are together on that model, ctx700ND

Reactions: VFRrider

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well its July 9th - Put in a down payment on a CTX700 D in mid June and still waiting. I called the dealer today to make sure my accessories were also ordered. ( Saddlebags and mounts along with the taller windscreen and backrest)

My dealer has been saying that he cant get any specifics on a price for the taller windscreen. Anyone else our there adding accessories or heard anything?

·
Registered
37 Posts
My dealer is saying the same thing about the taller screen. At one point they told him they weren't going to offer one, but later he told me that was only true of the N. I've been given a July 26th delivery date and he tells me that is still holding true. He assures me he will have all the accessories on hand when the bike gets here.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spoke with the Parts Manager at my dealer about the tall wind screen when I ordered the bike. He said Honda has not released it for sale yet. He said as soon as Honda releases it for sale, he will receive a bulletin stating it is ready for ordering by the customer. At that time (according to him) he will put the order in for me. I don't put a lot of faith in that but we will see. I have been down this road with other first year bikes in the past (Goldwing 1800). Eventually, the manufacturers accessories catches up with the bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My dealer told me the same story - Not available for order yet so he cant get me a price. Soon as it is - Its on order...

Would love to see a July 26th delivery date but my dealer here in Michigan isn't saying anything. Still hearing Mid July but that is all he will say...

Would appreciate anyone that actually takes delivery on CTX700D to put in a post and let us all know....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my CTX700ND last friday (07/05) and have rode it 180 miles since then. I have had a lot of fun on it and it was easy for my (as an owner of a Piaggio BV500) to get used to it. The only thing that is hard for me are high gusty winds (common sometimes in Idaho). If there is an after market windscreen for it I might invest in one). Otherwise I am having so much fun. It is such a great bike. We are going to try and make the 170 mile trip to Yellowstone this coming weekend.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Cherimouse, I am now at 1237miles and 2 days short of owning 1 month. Today was 103 when I left the house for the hills which was only 93. Yellowstone has to be a great ride and those miles will be easy for you on that bike. The wide bars should make handling in wind better. Just hang on and go. Post a picture or two of your trip (with bike in it of course).

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheri, it has taken me many years to learn this, but and old crusty biker I was talking to told me this: in heavy winds, if you try sticking your leg out from the side the wind is blowing, it helps stop the pushing you are experiencing. I don't understand the science behind it, or why it works, but I tried it this past summer in very heavy winds crossing Kansas and it helped. I have used it on several bikes now and it does seem to help in very heavy wind pushing. Hope this helps you too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cheri, it has taken me many years to learn this, but and old crusty biker I was talking to told me this: in heavy winds, if you try sticking your leg out from the side the wind is blowing, it helps stop the pushing you are experiencing. I don't understand the science behind it, or why it works, but I tried it this past summer in very heavy winds crossing Kansas and it helped. I have used it on several bikes now and it does seem to help in very heavy wind pushing. Hope this helps you too.
I only point my knee into the wind, not my whole leg. The idea is that, like the sail on a boat, you're creating drag on that side from your forward motion, which will want to pull the bike to that side. The result is that it offsets the push to the opposite side you're getting from the wind.

The other thing, is to keep the rest of your body loose (even that knee you're sticking out). If you tense up your neck, shoulders and arms, then the drag on your body is going to be transmitted to the bike. By keeping everything loose, you're able to isolate the additional movement from the motorcycle, which helps it track straighter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts