CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's out of these two. Like the riding position of the ctx but can't get past the tank storage of the nc700.

Any other owners have the same decision problems?

Tossing up. Please help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For me, it's a seat height issue, with a 30" inseam, the nc is just too tall for me.

Reactions: Jetmech1

·
Registered
309 Posts
Same here and I have a 32 inch inseam. I can get my feet flat on the ground, but barely. Didn't feel secure, so I chose the CTX. I love the storage space and the center stand of the NC700 but slight too tall for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you? Do not think 700S is available in the US.
Australia

Have a choice nc700s or ctx700d black fairing auto or ctx red fairing manual.

Like the sounds of the black fairing dct. Haven't seen any when researching. Seeing it Monday and test riding nc700sa at same shop can't test ride the ctx.

·
Registered
300 Posts
As a returning rider, 5'10" 30" inseam, I also looked at both. For me, the lower seat position coupled with the low center of gravity sealed the deal for the CTX700, and that is what I bought (CTX700ndct).

·
Registered
191 Posts
storage is something to consider for sure. Like the others I think the CTX is easier to handle and maneuver. You can always add bags or a trunk for needed storage. Im 5'10 and I felt much better on the CTX over the NC700

·
Registered
289 Posts
For me, the NC700 was too tall and too heavy. Hubby said I looked terrified on the test ride. I've been riding cruiser style bikes for all 17 of my riding years so the CTX just felt right when I sat on it.

When we go on long trips we end up stopping every 150 miles (my Boulevard won't go much further without fuel). So I'm not terribly concerned about the small fuel tank.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I sat on both in the show room. They had a used nc700x, that had a lowering kit on it (shorter links brought it down an inch), it also had hard side bags, a 12v socket, and an aftermarket windscreen. The price was right, and it only had 1250miles on it.

In the end I chose the ctx700nd for the lower seat height...because my wife expressed interest in riding with me. Personally, I think it's good to have her interested. happy wife, happy life they say :)

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
I looked at both and liked the NC as well as the CTX. I am 6'0" tall so the NC would have been no problem for me at all. I also really liked the tank storage of the NC but I like the looks of the CTX a bit better. I also find the CTX very comfortable for me and like the feet out front.

A big decision for me was that my wife felt better on the CTX since it is much lower for her to get up on. She also thought it was a bit more comfortable for her as well. But it was a very close decision for me since they are both great bikes. It is too bad the CTX couldn't have found a way for the tank storage like they did on the NC, but of course it would've probably raised the seat height up.

I do wonder why the NC gets better mileage than the CTX since it is the same engine and transmission. They seem to get about 5-10 mpg better it seems when I look on fuelly.com .

·
Registered
892 Posts
I purchased both the NC700X and the CTX700. I am only 5'8" and I like the seating position of the NC. If you ever road dirt, you are used to one foot stops. I can barely touch with two feet but it just isn't a problem. Also, the seat is not as comfy as the CTX. My wife rides the CTX and it is a great bike! Comfortable, quick, low seat height and stylish. Both bikes have advantages and disadvantages. Tough decision, but it comes down to which style you like. Good luck!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Has anyone heard or read when the newly-re engineered, NC750X will be arriving in the U.S. and the NC750S/NC750X in Canada?

Supposedly, mpg is, if anything, a little better. The seat is also supposed to be improved as compared to the 670. Honda has also added a gear indicator for the manual shift. The small pulse that starts somewhere around 45 mph in the 670 is also supposedly somewhat diminished and gearing is a little taller making 1st gear more usable.

As for an mpg difference of the CTX versus the NC series, it is possible that the NC creates slightly less drag than either the faired or unfaired CTX or both, but I highly doubt there is much of a "real" mpg difference, since the frames are the same except for the rear portion. I'd say that it's just that there are more mpg-conscious fuelly members reporting on fuelly and that there is no real difference. I have achieved over 80 mpg on my CTX700 (faired version) manual shift back when I had the stock shorty screen on it in the middle of last summer. I was running pure gasoline and averaging only about 60 mph, and those were on trips that were almost 100% highway miles. But still, it's hard to imagine that I could have done better on an NC than 80 mpg even in ideal conditions.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I originally looked at the NC, but the reality of my age (66) and not being able to kick my leg up and over as easily as when I was 20 years younger made me do a rethink. Loved that storage on the NC but I'm going to be a lot more comfortable on the CTX. To make up for the storage I'll just add a top case.

Jack

·
Registered
892 Posts
At 62, lifting my leg up and over the bike might be my only real excercise. Except for those 8 oz curls I do.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Has anyone heard or read when the newly-re engineered, NC750X will be arriving in the U.S. and the NC750S/NC750X in Canada?

Supposedly, mpg is, if anything, a little better. The seat is also supposed to be improved as compared to the 670. Honda has also added a gear indicator for the manual shift. The small pulse that starts somewhere around 45 mph in the 670 is also supposedly somewhat diminished and gearing is a little taller making 1st gear more usable.

As for an mpg difference of the CTX versus the NC series, it is possible that the NC creates slightly less drag than either the faired or unfaired CTX or both, but I highly doubt there is much of a "real" mpg difference, since the frames are the same except for the rear portion. I'd say that it's just that there are more mpg-conscious fuelly members reporting on fuelly and that there is no real difference. I have achieved over 80 mpg on my CTX700 (faired version) manual shift back when I had the stock shorty screen on it in the middle of last summer. I was running pure gasoline and averaging only about 60 mph, and those were on trips that were almost 100% highway miles. But still, it's hard to imagine that I could have done better on an NC than 80 mpg even in ideal conditions.
Unfortunately its not coming any time soon if ever. According to Honda press releases this will only be marketed overseas. The US version will still remain the 670cc. One of my mechanic friends said he heard it had something to do with the Ethanol issue and CARB. No way of confirming this as of yet.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I really like the looks of the nc700 "S" model you guys got versus the "X" model we have here in the states. Ours has that funky looking beak thing sticking out the front under the headlight, yours looks similar to our naked ctx, only with the storage in the fake gas tank. Can't go wrong with either, depends on if you mind the added height or not, and how much importance the helmet storage is to you. I'd quess you'd still add bags if storage was an issue though, cause only being able to hold a helmet isn't a whole lot. So that's not really a selling point either.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am surprised at how small the CTX7 gas tank is.

Since they robbed the storage area on the CTX7, i would like to have seen a little bit larger gas tank.

4.5 gal would have been nice.

For the faired CTX7, seems to me they could have provided some storage in that fairing.

I mean they have Faux speakers, those could have been small storage compartments.

I would like to see what the gas tank looks like removed from the bike, and how it fits in the frame.

Same for the fairing, i would like to see inside and what space is available behind the curtain, or under the fairing

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts

Since they robbed the storage area on the CTX7, i would like to have seen a little bit larger gas tank.

For the faired CTX7, seems to me they could have provided some storage in that fairing.

I mean they have Faux speakers, those could have been small storage compartments.

I would like to see what the gas tank looks like removed from the bike, and how it fits in the frame.

Same for the fairing, i would like to see inside and what space is available behind the curtain, or under the fairing
Plenty of pics on the forum. Just have to do a little searching around. Try searching for rebel13's "Sally".

·
Registered
585 Posts
hence no storage

They want you to buy $$$$ saddle bags ...hence no storage

1 - 20 of 30 Posts