CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because the CTX is essentially the NC700 with a different body, I have compared all four Honda models (2014 Honda CTX700T, 2014 CTX700N, 2013 NC700XA and NC700SXA).

The 2013 NC700XA and the 2013 NC700SA come with liquid-cooled, parallel-twin engines with displacement at 670 cc. Bore & Stroke of both models is the same (73 mm x 80 mm), as well as compression ratio (10.7: 1). Both NC700s feature chain-driven SOHC with 4 valves per cylinder and PGM-FI electronic fuel injection. Final drive comes from O-ring sealed chains. Front suspension in the XA comes from 41 mm telescopic fork at 153.3 mm (6 in.) travel, compared to the SA at 120 mm (4.7 in.) travel. Tires are the same (120/70ZR – 17 radial front, 160/60ZR – 17 radial rear) as well are brakes (320 mm wave discs with triple-piston caliper on the front, 240 mm wave disc with single-piston calipers on the back). Both models feature Combined Braking System with ABS. The XA sits at 830 mm (32.7 in.) and the SA at 790 mm (31.1 in.) and the wheelbase of the XA is barely larger at 1,540 mm (60.6 in.) vs. the SA’s 1,525 mm (60 in.). The NC700XA is heavier, with a curb weight of 218 kg (480 lb) compared to 215 kg (473 lb).

Both the 2014 CTX700T and the 2014 CTX700N also come equipped with liquid-cooled parallel-twin engines with a displacement of 670 cc and a fuel capacity of 12 litres. Bore & Stroke the same as NC700 models. Both the T and N operate SOHC at four valves per cylinder. Front suspension is also the same (41 mm front fork, 107 mm (4.2 in.) travel). Rear suspension is at 109 mm (4.3 in.) travel in both models, although the T comes with Pro-Link single shock and the N features a Pro-Link rear suspension system. Tires are the same (Front: 120/70-17, Rear: 160/60-17) as well are brakes (single 320 mm discs with twin-piston calipers in the front, single 240 mm discs with single-piston calipers in the rear). Seat Height is matched (719 mm/28.3 in.) as well as wheelbase (1,529 mm/60. 2 in.).

So where are the differences really noticeable?

·
Registered
126 Posts
So where are the differences really noticeable?
The main difference is the seating position. NC700X sits higher up, your knees are bent (rearward foot controls) and your torso leans slightly forward.

CTX700 - just the opposite: low seat height, forward foot controls (legs stretched out to the front) and more or less upright seating position.

Also larger fuel tank on the NC700.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the NC700x manual and my riding buddy bought the CTXN auto. I test rode both bikes one after the other and also put some miles on my friends CTX after he purchased it. I was all ready to purchase the CTX but then test rode the NC 2 more times and ended up buying it. First of all, I'd been riding a Concours 14 for 5 years and wanted something different. Something more fun to ride short distances.

The CTX is so much fun to ride and is as light as a feather. The front brake feels strong for just one disc. Back brake was non existent to me. It did feel better on the Auto version my friend owns. Feet forward was awesome and was easy to get used to. It also put my spine in a good position and the ride felt softer than my NC. Because it was the naked version the wind pressure was strong above 60. Friend is going to buy an aftermarket short windshield for this. The CTX feels better in the corners to me than my NC. Having no storage space on the CTX with out adding a top box or side bags was a real negative for me. The bike looks perfect to me as is and I didn't want to ruin it with anything attached to it. This is just me.

NC has a seating position like my Concours so I instantly felt comfortable on it. I am 6'1" 33 inseam so no problem on this bike reaching the ground flat footed. It feels light like a 250. I don't feel it is as fun to ride in the curves as the CTX but it's close for me. The wind protection on the NC is perfect for me with windshield on higher setting. On slower winding roads or on the interstate the wind is no problem on this bike for my height.

I really like both bikes but had to pick one that fit me best. The NC has the riding position I prefer. The storage is already enough for me stock. Has a little bit larger fuel tank. Wind protection stock is perfect for me riding at any speed. There are already many accessories for the bike that I thought might be useful. (center stand, light bar, taller windshield for cold weather, upper and lower wind deflectors for colder riding).

I only wish I could have a second bike because it would be the CTX. Hope this helps anyone trying to decide on either of these bikes.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Ditto with what Pete wrote! Since we have both an NC700X and CTX700D in the family now, I can only attest that both bikes turn me on. But, like AnE, I had to choose one, and felt the NC700X "Frunk" is worth the cost alone. Just kidding! I like the styling of the NC but really did enjoy riding the CTX the other day. Hey, best of both worlds for me when Magster isn't around. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
The CTX had the potential to be something a lot cooler than it is. The feet-forward seating position is ridiculous, there's no storage like on the NC700, the fairing looks awkward and for a bike that's made to travel, it needs bigger hardbags. Otherwise the CTX just looks like the NC700s nerdy cousin.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I guess it's a always going to come down to personal choice Holy. I have ridden thousands of miles on everything from Adventure bikes to Big Cruisers. I like the foot position of the CTX! Unless a rider is very challenged inseam wise (in which case they should look for a smaller bike), I felt it put my legs in a very comfortable position. In fact, we plan on doing another Ironbutt on the NCX and the CTX soon.
I've read some people have said the bags are too small, but an Ortlieb bag across the passenger seat will remedy the luggage problem for solo travel. I'm sure there will be some after market choices for luggage for those that want them the longer the bike has been out.
Nerdy cousin? LOL, come on Holy, I love the NCX style, but the CTX has a unique style all it's own. We have already had several people chase us down to ask what the bike is, because they liked the way it looked.
It's all subjective.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I gotta defend the it one more time. I would be nice if people just quit knocking the CTX line of bikes and take it for what it is, not what they want it to be. There are lots of motorcycle models and brands for sale by may nice companies.

Any current bike for sale has it's plus and minus's . It they did not, we would all be riding the same, " loved all features bike" . They don't exist.

People should not buy a bike they think has too many minus's and quit trying to point out all the negative "in their head" and wasting space on a forum devoted to the uses who own the CTX bike who already know the plus and minus's but still own one.

·
Registered
975 Posts
People should not buy a bike they think has too many minus's and quit trying to point out all the negative "in their head" and wasting space on a forum devoted to the uses who own the CTX bike who already know the plus and minus's but still own one.
I respectfully disagree. I think this type of discussion is a very important function of a forum. That is, to nick pick our rides even if we love them, and even if we don't yet own one and it's only in our heads, and I think it is good to discuss with those who have not yet purchased all the pros and cons, so that they'll know what the current owners know and what they like and dislike compared to other rides they've owned and others on the market.

In fact, with regards to the ModernVespa forum, we had a small group of BV350 owners. We all loved the scooter, because it's the most fun to ride, and the best scooter made in that size category bar none, but we started a thread "what you don't like about the BV350". We had lots of fun with that thread; each of us creating his or her perfect scooter, and it helped the non owners who were considering it make an informed decision. There were often times, on that thread, non owners make assumptions in their heads about a perceived drawback of the scooter based on what they owners had stated. This was a good thing, because then the current owners could better explain this perceived drawback and put it all in perspective.

But also, when I come across a negative thread, I believe it is equally important to defend the ride as Bill has been doing. It's also important to point out there is no perfect bike. But pointing out weaknesses of the CTX helps people decide on which weaknesses they are willing to live with compared with other choices and make better choices in line with what they expect out of a ride. Sometimes I've noticed that a perceived weakness is brought up, but then after further discussion through input from more experienced members, we realize that it is not truly a weakness, because what seems like an advantage with another bike, may not be a fact. I think this type of discussion is good, because a lot of less experienced riders learn more about different topics and how things work.

For instance, if I had not brought up chain maintenance and valve clearance check @ 8K, and more experienced owners had not explained the weaknesses of other systems that many rookies may not have realized, some of us newbies would have continued to believe that the CTX was inferior in these two areas. When one considers that there are a few more folks joining in and reading these post each few days, I think it is extremely helpful to discuss these topics and to tell the whole story. This way more people end up with what they expect, and I think that is a vital function of a forum; at least it is for me.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I am sure things will continue as normal regardless of my rants and that's ok by me. I just think someone stating something I find untrue should get an argument tossed back at them so their mind can think about it. I can handle counter points too. Your comments make some sense.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I just think someone stating something I find untrue should get an argument tossed back at them so their mind can think about it.
Absolutely! That's what I'm saying. Those who really know should be correcting those who think they know but don't really understand enough to understand why they don't know and that's why the forums are so important to the novices... [look--now I'm writing like Yogi Berra].

At any rate, what I've found is that on some forums like Modern Vespa, after a while, as the most senior, knowledgeable, and experienced members get weary of these same claims and inquiries, they start getting pissy towards some of these less experienced members and actually start claiming that there is some kind of ill intent from these less experienced folks, when in fact, often some of us less experienced folks are just throwing things out there trying to figure things out.

Just today I read the first post where this has already happened. It seems as though OldTom has decided that someone was being an impostor, claiming to be a beginner to get a rise in the group. I don't think we should assuming that folks are trying to sabotage the forum so quickly. It turns the newbies away very quickly, and they'll go elsewhere to learn.

Another way to say it is that I think it is okay to be totally wrong as long as we all respect each other and folks are making honest mistakes. Over at MV, lots of people were getting blasted and banned just for stating misguided opinions based on their limited knowledge.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
gregsft, don't rule out what OldTom is saying completely. There are riders so loyal to what they like that I would not put that past them to log onto forums to get their kicks messing with people. And their are sarcastic postings (guilty) just as a way to argue.

Anyway happy riding to all because in the end, riding is more fun than typing on a forum. I see many members here are also members of other Honda Forums. I still belong to the VFR and Hawk forums.

·
Registered
898 Posts
It's a **** of a bike! It will prove itself no matter what others may think. I don't see any negatives in this motor or frame unless you are looking for all out speed or a serious carver. Not made for that! If someone wants to know more, this is the place to ask for sure. Tom is right to have his say, as we all are and that is what make Forums work. You can't have a thin skin if you want to learn. Old Riders aren't too old to learn either. So give back what you get, if you know what I',m saying.

·
Registered
975 Posts
gregsft, don't rule out what OldTom is saying completely. There are riders so loyal to what they like that I would not put that past them to log onto forums to get their kicks messing with people. And their are sarcastic postings (guilty) just as a way to argue.
I'm not stating that no one does this, but when a person comes to the forum and asks a dumb question and doesn't word it quite right (we've all been there before), there is no way that it is okay just to assume these folks are being disingenuous and start accusing them of being dishonest and broadcasting that to all the members in the middle of a thread, especially if this is one of their firsts posts and there is no way they've been here long enough to show a trend of manipulation. And even if there does start to be a trend that makes them suspiciously disingenuous, it seems to me the best way to handle that situation is to send them a PM and ask them personally what they are doing and to investigate them a little further one on one; not to publicly call them liars in front of everyone with no evidence.

I can state that this happens, because it's happened to me. I was accused of being a really bad person when I was only trying to learn and simply made some bad choices about how I posted my dilemma, and I saw it happen to others. We came back and tried to defend ourselves, but it did no good. I wander how many just go away; when they make one of their first posts and someone comes back and calls them a liar in only a slightly nicer way.

The fact that we keep seeing more and more new people coming on here and asking the same things that we get tired of answering does not mean there are more conspirators coming on here to give us a hard time. Maybe the best thing is to create a sticky and then refer them to it when they by pass it instead of having to recreate the same responses over and over. But I think it is no excuse for treating people rudely.

·
Registered
842 Posts
My lower back

The CTX had the potential to be something a lot cooler than it is. The feet-forward seating position is ridiculous, there's no storage like on the NC700, the fairing looks awkward and for a bike that's made to travel, it needs bigger hardbags. Otherwise the CTX just looks like the NC700s nerdy cousin.
Well, its really more than looking cool, innit? At 68, the CTX allows me to still enjoy motorcycling. With a degenerative L5-S1 vertebrae pair, the knees-forward position just cannot be tolerated. I really don't care if some 20 year old thinks I am a nerd. I am still riding. I rode with a pack of Harley's two weeks ago, and many of them were so kind with their remarks about how cool the bike looks. I was mid pack most of the trip, and they were amazed as to how this bike not only kept up, but easily pulled away from the big Hogs at red lights. I love my CTX.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Well, its really more than looking cool, innit? At 68, the CTX allows me to still enjoy motorcycling. With a degenerative L5-S1 vertebrae pair, the knees-forward position just cannot be tolerated. I really don't care if some 20 year old thinks I am a nerd. I am still riding. I rode with a pack of Harley's two weeks ago, and many of them were so kind with their remarks about how cool the bike looks. I was mid pack most of the trip, and they were amazed as to how this bike not only kept up, but easily pulled away from the big Hogs at red lights. I love my CTX.
I also was out last weekend with a pack of Harleys too. Headed up in the mountains to get out of the heat. On the twisty roads I felt I was in slow motion as they were taking the turns at speeds the CTX easily could go faster and never drag. I just relaxed and went with the flow. Only the Harley XR1200X in the group was up to taking the twisties at a fun pace. I got very few questions or comments.

·
Registered
115 Posts
a lot of folks coming to this forum are looking to buy, and given how shallow and absurd most bike reviews are, especially for new-ish riders, i think it's good that we critically and honestly discuss the ACTUAL negatives, AND reinforce the positives. complaining about the looks ('nerdiness' et al) is a waste of time, because anyone can find a pic of the bike and come to their own conclusion. what a potential buyer CAN'T infer is the performance for their skill level, and to determine what the bike can ACTUALLY provide for them -- and i think our experience can help there where crappy mag reviews cannot.

i'm a fit, 39 year old dude. i can and do ride a much sportier shifty bike for fun, but the ctx appeals to me first as a comfortable touring ride and second as a reliable commuter. do i care that the fairing is dog-fugly and invokes the specter of the gruesome dn-01? not in the slightest, plus there are folks who actually LOVE the look, so why would i harp on it? what i want to know from others is the answers to REAL questions, so i can determine if it fits the role i plan to purchase it for. if your goal is to get parking lot props alongside a decent ride, h-d and ducati have HUGE forums and a whole range of offerings to accessorize your image with.

my biggest and most pricey mistake was trying to find ONE bike to do EVERYTHING i wanted from this hobby. i could have saved at LEAST $10K if i'd been a wiser person, and understood what i wanted from the hobby. :-(

(i am not against riding for image. i love how my zook looks and how i look sliding it into the pub for bike night. i am as guilty as any shallow squid or pirate when it comes to image indulging. i would burn this forum to the ground for a ducati diavel dark edition. thank god the universe lets me own more than one bike for more than one different thing!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
love it

just bought the ctx700t 2 days ago. Now 2,500 kilometers later. I LOVE IT. I am 5 foot 6. female, freedom 55. This is my 8th bike and my favorite by far. Each bike i rode was brand new and each had at least 25,000 kilometers or more. VFR 1200, st 1300, vtx 1300, stateline 1300, suzuki 800, etc. This bike is light, windshield excellant, seat amazing, also enough power to just cruze 130 kilometers. You want fun riding this is your bike. You want power try the 170 hp vfr 1200 lol.

·
Registered
975 Posts
just bought the ctx700t 2 days ago. Now 2,500 kilometers later. I LOVE IT. I am 5 foot 6. female, freedom 55. This is my 8th bike and my favorite by far. Each bike i rode was brand new and each had at least 25,000 kilometers or more. VFR 1200, st 1300, vtx 1300, stateline 1300, suzuki 800, etc. This bike is light, windshield excellant, seat amazing, also enough power to just cruze 130 kilometers. You want fun riding this is your bike. You want power try the 170 hp vfr 1200 lol.

You keep posting kilometers. Can you let us in on what country you are hailing from? I'm not familiar with the city or community you've put in for your location.

·
Registered
4 Posts
a lot of folks coming to this forum are looking to buy...
Bingo!
This is my first post, and first time here. I ride an FJR1300 and my wife currently rides an '07 GS500F, but we're looking to step her up so she can more comfortably ride cross country.

Our two top candidates are the CTX and NC 700 bikes and when I Googled comparisons, I ended up here.

What I've read in this thread is exactly the kind of real-world, down-to-earth, no nonsense pros and cons I was wanting, and even though we're both in love with the looks and ultra-light feel of the CTX, based on what I'm reading here, I'm leaning toward the NC700x for her.

Thanks to all who shared real-world experience, both pros AND cons. It's really helped.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The CTX700 is the MOST modern cruiser manufactured to date. I owned a VTX1800C and it was one of the HEAVIEST cruisers ever, a real monster at 800+ pounds wet, 900 pounds with the batwing fairing, hard jumbo saddlebags, and extra chrome. TORTURE for me to commute on :mad: .

The CTX is the same riding position I love in a cruiser, but slim and sleek. At 500 pounds, I laugh every time a newbie or sport bike guy sits on it and proclaims "this is kinda heavy". HAH! you have no idea!!!

I looked closely at the NC700X, and rode several variations of dual sport bikes (owned a KLR650). I prefer feet forward because it is more relaxing to me. My KLR650 had a pronounced crash bar kit, that had extra forward footpegs I used all the time. I am going to add additional forward pegs to my CTX so I can RECLINE EVEN MORE!

If I could purchase a SECOND bike right now to have in my garage, I would likely purchase an NC700X because I love the DCT, and also for the ability to return to fire roads like I rode on my KLR650. I also like the VFR1200F with DCT though, and could get one of those low miles used for same price as NC700X, so it would be a tough choice.

I don't like to ride with my feet under me because I always feel like I am getting ready to POUNCE on somebody or jump somewhere. On a dual sport that does give you the advantage of standing up, which I have enjoyed for distance on occasion. But I prefer to recline. The skinny seat on the NC700X would remain skinny, even with an aftermarket Corbin. I like my CTX700 with Corbin seat- very wide compared to all adventure bikes

1 - 20 of 50 Posts