CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and read lots of postings but didn't find a definitive answer. My CTX is the six speed and with me and my gear weighing 210-220 pounds, can the CTX handle a 75-80 mph cross country run? I have bigger touring bikes, but thought it might be fun to ride a smaller bike.

·
Super Moderator
3,108 Posts
I did a search and read lots of postings but didn't find a definitive answer. My CTX is the six speed and with me and my gear weighing 210-220 pounds, can the CTX handle a 75-80 mph cross country run? I have bigger touring bikes, but thought it might be fun to ride a smaller bike.
My total load is 40lbs more to begin with and my CTX trike is hauling a two wheel rear axle arrangement on top, and I have no trouble running my age (75+). Although I don't take any long trips (the longest being 150+), I wouldn't hesitate in adding another zero to that, especially with my Russell Daylong seat in place!
:)

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
The answer is a definite 'YES'. In the spring of 2017 I took a 44 day, 9400 mile cross country jaunt on my 2014 6 speed. At the time, I weighed in at 215. Add another 20 pounds or so for my protective gear, another 30 pounds for my camping kit and soft side cooler, and appx 30 pounds for clothing, medical kit, tool kit and souvenirs carried in my hard bags and you're at around 300 pounds. My highest mileage days were the three days it took me to get home from Mount Rushmore in South Dakota back to North Carolina. I covered 1800 miles and averaged a little over 600 miles a day. Virtually all of this was interstate riding and I generally rode about 10 mph over the limit, i.e. appx 80 mph the whole way. i was able to travel as fast as I felt comfortable riding. The main issues I had, all minor, were as follows:

1. Due to the realitive light weight of the CTX, crosswinds were wicked bad crossing southern New Mexico and the South Dakota prairie.
2. This trip convinced me that my next bike will have cruise control. Several days I took ibuprofen solely for my right wrist.
3. This trip convinced me my next bike will NOT have a chain drive. Every morning, rain or shine, I was on my knees inspecting the chain, applying chain wax, and wishing I had shaft drive.

I posted some pics below so you'll get an idea of the load I carried (and the sites I saw). Don't sweat the CTX's capabilities. It's not the perfect touring machine, but it's certainly capable. Put on fresh rubber, fresh oil, and a decent windscreen, load up and go!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
The answer is a definite 'YES'. In the spring of 2017 I took a 44 day, 9400 mile cross country jaunt on my 2014 6 speed. At the time, I weighed in at 215. Add another 20 pounds or so for my protective gear, another 30 pounds for my camping kit and soft side cooler, and appx 30 pounds for clothing, medical kit, tool kit and souvenirs carried in my hard bags and you're at around 300 pounds. My highest mileage days were the three days it took me to get home from Mount Rushmore in South Dakota back to North Carolina. I covered 1800 miles and averaged a little over 600 miles a day. Virtually all of this was interstate riding and I generally rode about 10 mph over the limit, i.e. appx 80 mph the whole way. i was able to travel as fast as I felt comfortable riding. The main issues I had, all minor, were as follows:

1. Due to the realitive light weight of the CTX, crosswinds were wicked bad crossing southern New Mexico and the South Dakota prairie.
2. This trip convinced me that my next bike will have cruise control. Several days I took ibuprofen solely for my right wrist.
3. This trip convinced me my next bike will NOT have a chain drive. Every morning, rain or shine, I was on my knees inspecting the chain, applying chain wax, and wishing I had shaft drive.

I posted some pics below so you'll get an idea of the load I carried (and the sites I saw). Don't sweat the CTX's capabilities. It's not the perfect touring machine, but it's certainly capable. Put on fresh rubber, fresh oil, and a decent windscreen, load up and go!
I've exact same bike color etc. Lovely pix. Wondering what is the windscreen you have.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I've exact same bike color etc. Lovely pix. Wondering what is the windscreen you have.
ABK, the wind screen is a Cee Bailey 23 inch with vent. Great screen, but they're no longer made. The 'wing' on top is made by MRA and is called an X-Creen.

·
Premium Member
Yamaha Roadstar,BMW S1000RR, Honda CTX 700
55 Posts
Reasonably priced drive chain?

>:)Let me know when you are ready to trade in your old chain.

Thanks for the photos and info.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
@Keco sorry to hear about your wrist pain spoiling your trip a bit. Have you ever considered one of these?

https://usa.kaoko.com/

https://usa.kaoko.com/throttle-stabilizers#/specFilters=17!#-!1113&manFilters=17

https://usa.kaoko.com/how-it-works

-Sloppy
Hi Sloppy, thanks for the reference. i did actually consider several mechanical throttle locks, including the Kaoko. In the end I decided that, for me, they were an imperfect solution to the problem. I think I've been spoiled by today's electronic wiz-bangery. Perhaps I judged them too harshly and if i had the opportunity to use one prior to purchase, my decision would be different. In any event, none of the items I mentioned above ruined the trip, they were simply "sub-optimal" experiences that have become targets for improvement if/when I purchase my next bike. :nerd:

Reactions: kujawskir

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
While I haven't gone as far as Keco I do one or two 1200 mile trips each summer. It handles the distance and speeds just fine. I also have a six speed manual. A simple cramp buster helps with the wrist discomfort.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hi Sloppy, thanks for the reference. i did actually consider several mechanical throttle locks, including the Kaoko. In the end I decided that, for me, they were an imperfect solution to the problem. I think I've been spoiled by today's electronic wiz-bangery. Perhaps I judged them too harshly and if i had the opportunity to use one prior to purchase, my decision would be different. In any event, none of the items I mentioned above ruined the trip, they were simply "sub-optimal" experiences that have become targets for improvement if/when I purchase my next bike. :nerd:
I get it, and agree, I will try to get cruise on my next bike. It's not yet a show stopper, but becoming common enough that once I find several bikes ticking off the show stopper boxes I'll be able to toss out the half that don't have cruise, adjustable shocks, and a few other nice things.

Throttle lock: So, with the Kaoko the dealer gave me for half price to avoid taking it off the show bike (2014 CTX700 in late 2016), I took my wife 2-UP over mountains, tight corners, and it locks fairly nice and slides up or down without unlocking for hills or speed limit changes. I lock it at 75 hoping my insurance savings app won't see me top 80. A slight hill and I notice the road tone changed pitch, glance down and see it crept up to 84 and climbing. I'm working on noticing sooner without freezing my eyes on the digits.
Point is, there's enough torque in this bike to move itself +400 lbs of people acceptably from 60-ish to 90-ish without shifting or straining. If needed, drop a gear or two for a quicker response.

Power to carry a 210 lb person plus gear? Mine carries a 190 lb person, plus a 220 lb person (I won't tell you which is the pillion and which is me in the front.) with tools and a little gear quite nicely. A slow pickup truck doing 25 on a 30 MPH road took a 15 MPH corner at about 10 in front of me, in no hurry to waste gas on the steep grade to the next switch-back. At the passing zone he saw us coming and gunned it. The zone was short but there was no traffic and I didn't know what this could do and there was plenty of space to stop if it didn't work, so I dropped a gear and cranked it just to find out. We were quickly past him at about 48 and I could still hear his engine straining. I eased off and held at about 38 in the 30, then before he caught up we took the next 20 MPH switch-back at a leisurely 25 or so, leaving him well behind. A few more sharp curves, then about 3/4 mile after the road straightened out we were at 49 in a 45 zone as he was approaching fast. I pulled into a parking lot so he'd have enough room to safely pass. As the winner no longer had a purpose, we stayed at 40 MPH in the 45 zone behind him for about 5 minutes, then found a good place to take a longer break.

Anyone here can tell you this bike will not win a lot of motorcycle races, but it's confident enough to keep you out of trouble, or get you into it.

Comfort: For me alone, fine. My wife will not take a long trip with this bike. Three to five hours and she's shot for a week. Now she finally gave up and won't go out at all. These shocks are designed and tuned for one rider, and the back seat is more for show than comfort. Some would fix these things, it may be better to step up to a larger bike.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
748 Posts
In the not too distant past, no one knew you needed 1800 cc's and 800 pounds under you before taking off on a cross country trip so a 400cc Yamaha XS with no windshield and a canvas bag strapped to the tank seemed normal.
Wasn't the "Captain America" chopper in Easy Rider a 350 or something? They weren't racing or proving best of anything, just trying to sneak an early retirement fund home across a "free" melting pot society. Whatever it was, was easily enough to go cross-country.

Argument totally nullified, since those were bigger engines than liter bikes. Even without modern improvements they do not support an answer to the thread question.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Both of the choppers in Easy rider were built from old police Harleys that had 74 cubic inch panhead engines (1200 cc)

Reactions: kujawskir

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
howdy, i have also gone on many trips with my cb450 and cx500s . some were longer than 4,000 miles. just use the right gear and gears and go. the only things i distinctly remember were the 1,000 milers in sub-freezing temperatures. my scoot is on the lift now 'cause of sub'freezing weather though. heh-heh
ken

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Dude,
You missed this so i will re post it here.
I left this when a new member was wondering if his CTX could get him to his girlfriends once she went away to college.
Here's what i left!

In 1986 my wife and i took a trip from Houston, TX to Tampa, FL on my 1982 Honda GL500I Silverwing Interstate. A 500cc, 38hp V-Twin, Loaded with a trunk and saddlebags. Almost 2500 miles round trip in 8 days, there and back.

We used to travel across this country on many, MANY bikes much smaller and much less technologically sophisticated than today's bikes. The middle weight touring bikes were the choice of most long haul bikers and commuters. Thousands and Thousands of CX500's, Yamaha Virago's and Honda whatever's were outfitted with fairings and windshields and racks, or nothing at all, and crisscrossed this country.
Your CTX700 is light years ahead of what we were GLAD to ride.
You bike would be a "Luxury Tourer" compared to our bikes of the 70's and 80's.
My wife and I tour on our CTX700 all the time. She is as tiny as ever, but I'm almost TWICE as big as I was back in the day.
We ride that CTX700 everywhere. Once a month we ride up to Dallas to see the grand kids. That's almost 550 miles round trip.

You get on that bike and Ride!
Anywhere you want to go!
It will take you and deliver you and at 60 plus mpg it won't break your wallet, either.
Now don't overthink this.
Just go.
There's a girl at the end of your trip

This is still good advice, and i hope there is something good at the end of your trip, also.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tour? You bet! The link below is a travelogue of a 3,200 mile trip on my CTX from WI to CO in the summer of 18. TL-DR - 990 miles of Great Plains each way, three 500+ mile days, elevations from 800 - 14,115 feet, flawless bike performance, and I still love it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IKNvw8gGOEAtkhG9JkLC5uwXiyebQ1eUcMn8IJRV12c/edit?usp=sharing

Don't hesitate to pack up and go!

Deets: I'm 5'8", 165 lbs plus gear (Kevlar jacket is HEAVY). I travel pretty light and the factory bags are small, and I wasn't camping (that trip). My rain suit lives in a "game pouch" in the back of my jacket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a BWM R75/6 that I bought in 1977. My first trip was with my wife was from Albuquerque to Cincinnatti (1200 miles) on a bike with almost the same horsepower as the CTX. We had a lot of luggage too including camping gear. We did fine. My CTX with the mods I made would be just as comfortable or more for a long trip if I wanted to. I had a friend in the '70s who toured on a Yamaha 350 (RD 350) that he put a fairing on and used soft luggage. He went all over the US on that bike. You just don't need a big bike to tour.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I should have made it clear. I will be riding probably half or more on the interstate just to burn miles. I'm more concerned about running this engine with me and my gear at 75-85 mph day in day out. I'm old Airhead rider with a lot of miles on my worn out body, but previously cross country runs were on backroads. Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts