CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new CTX series—with bikes like the CTX700—are a perfect example of Honda innovating and moving forward when everyone else is standing still. These superior machines offer the technology and features that modern riders want and need, and do it all at a price nobody can match. Add that to Honda’s reputation for quality and durability, and the CTX700 is a machine you can count on for thousands of fun, trouble-free miles.

LCD Instrument Panel
Full digital LCD instrumentation includes digital speedometer, digital bar-type tachometer, clock, low-fuel gauge, and two tripmeters. The instruments are light, compact, and easy to read, too. The DCT/ABS version adds a gear position indicator.

Full-Coverage Fairing
With its new full-coverage fairing and windscreen, the CTX700 really adds to your comfort on long trips. The fairing upper and lower components are unique to this model, and are integrated with rest of the bike.

41mm Fork
With 4.2 inches of travel, the CTX700 soaks up the bumps and jolts in rough pavement, but also provides excellent handling and superior feedback through the handlebar.

Cast Aluminum 17-inch Wheels
The 17-inch wheels give you a wide choice of premium tires to choose from, and really help the CTX700 handle like a pro on the street. The cast wheels are light and strong too.

Front and Rear Disc Brakes with Available ABS
Single front- and rear disc brakes give the CTX700 great stopping power. The ABS option incorporates anti-lock brakes for the best possible stopping power, especially under challenging conditions.

Electronic Fuel Injection
Honda’s Electronic Fuel Injection means easy startups on cold mornings and flawless running even at high elevations.

Reduced Vibration
You don't need to rattle and shake when riding a motorcycle. The CTX700's engine counterbalancer and rubber-mounted footpegs let you enjoy the ride on your commute or on a weekend getaway.

670cc Parallel-Twin Engine
With its cylinders tipped 62 degrees forward for better weight distribution, the CTX700’s engine is a big step forward in modern powerplant design. The two-cylinder format produces tons of low- and mid-range torque, and the 270-degree-phase crank and uniaxial primary balancer make it smooth, too.

Relaxed Rider Position
The CTX700 was designed for a comfortable, confidence-inspiring ride. The rider triangle was designed to provide a relaxed riding position for most riders, so you won't feel cramped up after just a few miles down the road.

Low Seat Height
With a seat height of just 28.3 inches, the new CTX700 is confidence-inspiring and comfortable. Combine that with the forward-set controls, and it's easy to flat-foot it at stoplights or in parking lots.

Diamond-Shape Steel Frame
Light, strong, and with just the right amount of stiffness, the CTX700’s rigid and compact chassis is the foundation for precise handling.

Optional Automatic Transmission
Shift with the push of a handlebar-mounted button, or select the CTX700’s automatic mode and the bike will shift itself. Honda’s Dual-Clutch Automatic Transmission (DCT) has been a huge hit on our other models, and once you ride a CTX700 with DCT, you’ll see why.

Low Center of Gravity
The CTX700's low center of gravity makes for a more confidence inspiring, all-around riding experience.

Pro-Link Rear Suspension
Offering 4.3 inches of rear-wheel travel and teamed with a Honda Multi-Action System rear shock, the CTX700 eats up rough pavement while giving you a smoother ride.

·
Registered
124 Posts
very nice!! Hondanation

My ride report;

Fuel injection
I have to say that the throttle transition and smoothness is perfect for me.

No jerkiness or flat spots or surging like so many other new bikes do.

it works flawlessly and makes a Great engine even better

Brakes
They stop really well, more than enough stopping power for me, I dont have ABS

Handling
Handling of the bike is excellent, very good handling, the weight being so low and center massed it feels like a much smaller & lighter bike than what it is.

Suspension
comfortable suspension, nice ride very smooth

·
Registered
124 Posts
I failed to mention that the CTX700 & NC700 both bikes ONLY One throttle body that is shared between the two cylinders.

That's right One throttle body feeds both cylinders on the 700 series bikes,
THANK YOU HONDA

Other twin cylinder bikes such as the CB500 has two cylinders and two throttle bodies, having two throttle bodies means more Maintenance EXPENSE to have them sync'd

The guys over at the CB500 forum site are all crying because they have to pay $400.00 for their first 600 mile service.

That SUX,

I have to admit though the CB500 is a very nice bike,

I am sure it is a great bike too, i would love to have one in white to keep my NC company, while im not riding

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
That remains to be seen. Right now, some models have become scarce and dealerships are having a hard time locating them or cannot order them.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
I can't see Honda not producing the 2015 CTX myself. I was at the dealer yesterday getting chain lube and they had 2 on the floor but they sell them very quickly. I think my bike, CTX700DCT, went up $500 when I looked at the tag. The last few times I was there they didn't have any CTX's there.

When I bought mine it was the only one on the floor and there was a lady saying that if I didn't buy mine that she was going to buy it. It seems this model is pretty popular from what I read. I did speak to a salesman I have spoken to many times and he said that Honda never keeps them informed or tells them about the new bikes. I did say that the NC is a 750 in Europe and asked if he heard anything about the CTX or NC getting the 750 but he didn't even know about it being a 750 in Europe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well i agree with most of what you have said HondaNation except I cant agree that it "eats up rough pavement while giving you a smoother ride". This is the one area where I think the bike needs to be a lot better. Rough road and bumps give spine jarring jolts. I am seriously thinking of puting some heavy duty gas shocks on to fix this.
Does anyone else agree with me on this?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well i agree with most of what you have said HondaNation except I cant agree that it "eats up rough pavement while giving you a smoother ride". This is the one area where I think the bike needs to be a lot better. Rough road and bumps give spine jarring jolts. I am seriously thinking of puting some heavy duty gas shocks on to fix this.
Yes, absolutely. The roads in Rhode Island are terribly maintained. I'M not a heavy guy (175lbs) but I tightened the rear suspension just about all the way down and it's better. But I would also be interested in a better shock back there....

·
Registered
897 Posts
Yes. The suspension is one of this bike's chief weaknesses.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Suspension is there area where the bike shows its low price point the most. They definitel could spend an extra $20 or so at the manufacturing level to significantly improve this but some bean counter is telling them not to.

For what they can do for $20 at their level would cost us hundreds not to mention any labor costs if we don't do it ourselves. Anyway I have reached out to a friend who is the US distributor of a European shock company to see if they have anything yet for the CTX. If they do, I can likely organize a group buy if there are enough people interested. I have no idea of what the pricing would be for something as simple as this bike could be but the shocks are top quality.

I can give you an idea of the cost on my BMW to have it done but that was a much more complex system that was electronically adjustable and install was a PITA to say the least. If we could get something in the $400-450 range I would be in. I know everyone has a different budget. I learned a long time ago that good suspenders don't come cheap but the difference they can make are remarkable. While my BMW was good from the factory, it became amazing after the swap. It was custom made to my weight, riding style, load, etc. I got more comfort, better ride and improved handling at the limits.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Custom shocks designed for a specific weight and riding style are relatively easy to do but will limit the capabilities since the CTX is used as a general purpose bike with multiple uses. Its designed to satisfy all but not do anything really well. That's why there are so many complaints about its suspension. Its a very basic system with minimal adjustment. Unfortunately, this is a $400-500.00 shock.

Adding a better, well refined adjustable shock would be an excellent improvement to make to the CTX. It takes considerable time and investment to design a shock that does everything well giving the rider enough adjustment to tweak the system for personal preferences. Unfortunately these advanced systems really cost. Minimum $800+. More like $1200.00

The real trick would be to find an existing shock on another Honda model that meets the requirements and can be bought off the shelf at a relatively moderate price.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have done a lot of parts bin swapping in the past and it requires a lot of trial and error. In the past I was able to use GSXR shocks on other Suzukis with good luck as an example. There used to be a great shock builder, Jay Jobes, AKA-Sasquatch, who too my stock Vstrom shock, gutted, it rebuilt it and transformed the bike. After that it matched the quality of much more expensive shocks on other's Vstroms.

Anyway I am looking into it as an option. Hopefully my friend will hear back from Germany soon. Its worth a shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts