CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done much riding on an interstate with one of these bikes? I've watched videos and read reviews of the CTX700 DCT and I see people riding on highways, but to me there is a significant difference between riding on a highway at speeds in the 50 - 60 mph and an interstate where speeds are 70+ mph.

I currently ride a Harley Sportster in Kansas City, primarily for commuting. Much of my riding is urban and I tire of shifting, but I also have stretches on an interstate where speeds are 70+ mph. Honda has this in the "Touring" class, so I assume that there are no issues at higher speeds, but I'd like to get some real-world feedback.

Thanks!

·
Banned
463 Posts
Hey Sportster,
Although I have not done a lot of Interstate riding on the CTX yet I just put my impression of the Cee Bailey windshield I received today.
If you look at the thread "windscreens, fairing" you'll see some writeups on experiences with the stock Honda, both short and tall windshields.

I had Cee Bailey windshields in the past on a V-Strom and a BMW 1200RT and was very pleased with the performance, that's why I opted for the CTX version.

I assume you have the faired CTX version.
If so, the Cee Bailey is an option and a great improvement over stock.
I never owned a Sportster but have ridden one. I don't thinhk there is any comparison between it and the CTX setup. If you don't have a windscreen on your Sporster I would think it's brutal riding very far at 70+ mph.
This is my opinion anyway, check out the other thread I mentioned.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine handles OK on the highway at 70+ with the stock low windshield. Even though the bike can handle it, I find the wind very uncomfortable for me. The bike does not get pushed around too much by the trucks. It accelerates better than most of the other vehicles on the road. My biggest worry on the major highways and interstates is the little bitty mirrors. I'd prefer a better view when I'm changing lanes. I spend way too much time looking over my shoulders.

I'll have my new Cee Bailey windshield today. That should make me more comfortable, but it will probably impact performance. It might make the bike wobble a bit around the trucks and it might impact acceleration. I'll post my results in the windshield thread.

·
Registered
975 Posts
My biggest worry on the major highways and interstates is the little bitty mirrors. I'd prefer a better view when I'm changing lanes. I spend way too much time looking over my shoulders.
Really. This is my first bike, so I have nothing for comparison, however, I've got the right mirror where I can see just about everything behind me except for blind spots coming up in the left and right lanes. Sort of like a rear view mirror in a cage. I've got the left mirror adjusted to catch that blind spot in the left lane. That leaves a small blind spot in the right lane. My highway speed is in the lower 30% of the traffic, so I more often have to worry about the traffic in the left lane. I have to look around my right shoulder, and/or lean forward to see the right lane completely before moving right. But this is sort of infrequent. Other than that, my mirrors have it covered completely. They are easier to adjust than the ones on my scooter. They stay in place better, and I can view more area behind me. I have not issue whatsoever with the mirrors.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I ride mine on the highway, but I'm rarely above 70 mph for very long. But I would say it rides smooth at 70 and above. The only issue I have is the wind. I don't have a tall windshield yet, so at those speeds, it's tough, but the bike can definitely handle it. Still waiting on Madstad to finalize their windshield for the DCT faring model.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ride the freeways out here in PHX every day. I have the CDT, with a Puig Universal Sport windscreen on it. Plenty of power at 70+, no buffeting. Been riding for years. I find this to be a superb all around bike. Have taken it up to AZ's High Country many times, up steep Interstate or State highways, and down.
Enjoy.

Ride Often, Ride Safe,
f

·
Registered
301 Posts
My wife rode from Sacramento to San Diego on I-5 @ 75+ All Day no issues with the bike. After 5-6 hrs the butt gets tired. We regularly ride long rides either 2up on my Goldwing or both solo. The stock seat is decent but could be better. The bike doesn't care it just wants to go go go.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Wife rode from Tampa to Lansing in two days all interstate. Great gas mileage and 70mph to 80mph most of the way. We took more time coming back and the mileage was about the same.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the naked model with the MadStad 16" windshield. I ride 70 to 85mph on the freeway with no problems. The bike moves along just fine. The naked model needs a windshield.

Reactions: ctxers and Jetmech1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the quick replies. It helps to read the thoughts from actual owners, versus the write-ups from magazines.

Quick background on me. I owned a Zuma 125 up to 2011, but I wanted something that could go on the interstate for 5 to 10 miles, versus always taking the access roads that run parallel to the interstate during my commute. I opted for a Harley Sportster. It's a great bike for that short stretch of interstate, but I miss the twist and go of a scooter for the rest the ride. I've was thinking of a Silver Wing or a Majesty, but a CTX (pearl white) caught my eye yesterday at a local Honda dealer. Based on you replies, it sounds like it can handle the interstate just fine.

I'll keep watching the forum. Maybe I'll get one in early 2014.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Thanks for all of the quick replies. It helps to read the thoughts from actual owners, versus the write-ups from magazines.

Quick background on me. I owned a Zuma 125 up to 2011, but I wanted something that could go on the interstate for 5 to 10 miles, versus always taking the access roads that run parallel to the interstate during my commute. I opted for a Harley Sportster. It's a great bike for that short stretch of interstate, but I miss the twist and go of a scooter for the rest the ride. I've was thinking of a Silver Wing or a Majesty, but a CTX (pearl white) caught my eye yesterday at a local Honda dealer. Based on you replies, it sounds like it can handle the interstate just fine.

I'll keep watching the forum. Maybe I'll get one in early 2014.

you never mentioned how new your sportster is (2007 on had fuel injection) or if it was an 883 or 1200 engine (883 can be made into a 1200 easily), mid controls or forward controls. I would like to ask that you take a test ride on any model CTX that you can and compare what you like or dislike after doing so. Since you said you HATE shifting, the CTX offers you a way out. They are two very different bikes for the rest of the experience, style, 2 pipes vs 1 pipe, valve adjustments or none, chain adjustments or non, Honda lighter, Honda better gas mileage, air cooled vs water cooled, gas tank vs plastic covered tank, gages and so on. Available accessories. And last but not least, image. yes that is part of the motorcycle experience.

Since you own a motorcyle now, you are starting with some knowledge that is above your scooter knowledge days. Good luck with finding your best ride.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Heaviest bike I had was the Burg 650, and yes it would get pushed around by stiff cross winds, 18 wheelers and even some big SUVs/minivans. The CTX700 weighs about 100lbs LESS but handles this issue better which would give you more confidence. Of course most late model (exclude top end tourers) have crap windshields.

·
Banned
463 Posts
In my experience the weight of the bike contributes little to how a bike reacts to cross winds. More so on the aerodynamics.
Having a big top trunk probably causes the greatest adverse effect. This I experienced with the Goldwing and Victory.
I don't think wind and trucks will have a serious effect on the CTX.
Big, tall windshields on cruisers in which you have to look thru, because of the upright, flat profile, also are affected by crosswinds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I concur that its a fine Freeway ride. Just purchased this bike for my wife, and I rode it home, about 90 miles on I-80. Average speed was 70-75 MPH. It road fine. I am a sport adventure bike rider, and prefer that seated style to the cruiser style. I was impressed with the overall performance of the bike, however, I do like the Sport Mode better than the standard D. (DTC ABS Model). Automatic is perfect for the beginner.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Some on this forum have complained that the CTX700 and CTX700N are not responsive at 75+ mph, but that doesn't mean one can't cruise at 70-80. It only means it's not going to keep accelerating like it does at 60. I think some on here have owned bikes that are really fast by comparison and are used to doing some high-speed maneuvers and passes, however, there are some on this forum, like myself who don't normally even test speeds above 75, so we can't personally comprehend this weakness of the bike at over-the-speed-limit speeds.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Yeah, the CTX isn't like the R1200RT I had. If you ever got close to redline going thru the gears you'd be going over 120.
THe bike is more than adequate for normal riding, even at freeway speeds in CA and AZ.
The latest Motorcycle magazine has a write up on the CTX. The writers, some ex-racers, put down the lack of response on the DCT version, although that is all they rode.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ride the freeway everyday on my CTX with DCT. It can handle the 70 to 80 MPH with out any issues. My naked model does need a windshield though. It was 35 degrees this morning. Now I did not handle that very well, but the CTX performed great. LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you never mentioned how new your sportster is (2007 on had fuel injection) or if it was an 883 or 1200 engine (883 can be made into a 1200 easily), mid controls or forward controls.
Hi - It is a 2012 48, so it has a fuel-injected 1200 engine with forward controls. It does the interstate speeds when needed, but the in-town traffic isn't enjoyable. I miss the twist and go. Maybe I'll get a scooter again. I guess I have all winter to think about it.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Hi - It is a 2012 48, so it has a fuel-injected 1200 engine with forward controls. It does the interstate speeds when needed, but the in-town traffic isn't enjoyable. I miss the twist and go. Maybe I'll get a scooter again. I guess I have all winter to think about it.

The 48 will hold it's value pretty well. get a low mileage scooter used, try it for awhile and see . then sell and/or keep but get what you wish. I often have had two bikes. Geico insurance makes the 2nd one really cheap to ad maybe your insurance company does to.

·
Registered
975 Posts
... My naked model does need a windshield though. It was 35 degrees this morning. Now I did not handle that very well, but the CTX performed great. LOL
Funny!

Although we've experienced cooler temps here in TN so far this season, the coldest temp that I've had the privilege to ride in to work is around 45; a couple of times. My spouse volunteers with me often at work, and she won't ride, so I'm not so much a daily rider anymore; only when I'm solo.

The first time in the 45-degree temp. it was in fog, which is not usually a problem; I just slow down and crack the face shield and just deal with the noise, but on this particular occasion, it was the wet kind of fog (only the second time I've encountered this phenomenon). As soon as I got up to speed on the 4 lane, everything fogged up, inside and out, including my glasses. The only thing I could see was the white line and luckily I was able to get over on the shoulder before disaster. I had to remove my glasses and raise the face shield nearly all the way to see. I've got a new Shoe Quest helmet, which is the most expensive helmet I've ever owned, and the worst for fogging up, but in this case it wouldn't have mattered, and even though this helmet is an X-small, it has become too loose over time, and is now the worst-fitting helmet I've had, which makes it much louder than it would be otherwise but still quieter than my other two.

After raising the shield, I had to deal with the cold on my face @ 45 degrees. I nearly turned back around to get the cage but decided to dredge on (not alot of traffic; just have to watch out for the road). After that, I rode through a small town with about 7 traffic lights; turned northwest on a rural 2-lane highway. The temp must have gone up a couple of degrees, because now my face wasn't so cold; everything was cool. That is, until the dew started falling out of the fog and hitting my eye balls, which were now unprotected. I stopped once more to give my eyes a rest. They weren't really hurting, but it was causing me to blink too often. After the short break, I rode in without incident, but all of this makes me want to pause before commuting in the fog, but that means I would miss out on a lot of riding, because it is often foggy at 6:30 a.m.

The second time @ 45 was perfect with my winter suit and winter gloves (First Gear Thermo One-Piece Suit non armored @ $170 & Tour Master Polo-Tex 2.0 Gloves at or about $60). If my scooter is any indication of how this winter will go, around 35 degrees will be my limit before pain starts to set in on my finger tips for a 40 minute commute with the gloves I've got, even with liners.

With respect to the scooter, since the riding suit does such a good job of stopping rain and wind, a tall winter screen offered no more comfort from the cold than the small stock screen, because, really, other than the hands and fingers, I've never had an issue with the cold wearing the suit with a layer or two underneath it and that screen didn't help a bit with respect to my finger tips. The screen, however, did help with the fatigue for all seasons due to how it quietened things down on the highway with respect to the scooter. The Givi tall screen that I had on the scooter, however, was not perfect. It caused a whistling noise in my helmet; caused a slight push on the rear of my head; and required trimming, which was no fun. At least with respect to the CTX, there are a couple of different windshield options and size options. This wasn't the case with respect to the Givi screen. Another negative of a tall screen, at least from my experience so far, is that in the rain, the water won't roll off the face shield, because the wind is not hitting my face shield. Turning my head wouldn't help either. Since I wear glasses, I can just raise the shield, and it is still not too loud, because the windshield keeps the noise down even with the face shield up, but then the rain beads on my glasses.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts