CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not on a device where I can paste links, but if anyone is interested in the possibility of a future CTX or CTXN with larger displacement and is considering waiting a while before making another choice if a larger displacement choice will be forthcoming that is styled and laid out like the CTX, he or she might want to Google search CTX1300. There was a leaked list from Honda in Japan, and many moto journalist around the world agree that the U.S. may soon see a CTX1300 that will be available with dual clutch auto transmission. The list also includes, among other models, CB650s to add to the current, new, CB500 series of bikes.

Of course this list could have been purposely leaked to gauge reaction, or an old list that was nixed, but it definitely makes sense with respect to the CTX where Honda has promised more to come.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CEETEEX. I don't read Japanese, but it looks like the bottom section would be USA or N. America, because all of those make sense here. The article I read stated that the Japanese type marked over the list states "future models" or something to that effect.

Of course a third possibility is that this is a hoax.

·
Registered
13 Posts
CTX1300?? Oh, yeah! I'm getting goosebumps...... :D

Reactions: EarsFlappn

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not if they put a v-twin in it. I'd rather have the mileage of the parallel twin. 1300cc parallel twin should be high 50s low 60s for mpg if it ran anything like the 700.

On 2nd thought, one of the best motors Honda ever made was the 1100cc v-twins from the Shadows from the mid 90's and later (I know, I had one). Take that same engine and put fuel injection on it and you would have THE bulletproof motor. I used to run around with a guy who ran a big Honda dealership and he told me that was the one motor that he had never seen apart in his (or any other) shop. No valve adjustments on that motor either.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Honda did say there was to be "a family" of CTX models, so a 1300 could well be a possibility. If as claimed, this engine is half of the car engine, then why not just add the remaining cylinders? A triple would be 1000cc and the four 1340cc. My CBX is known as 1000, but is actually 1047cc, so the factory "round down" as well as up. If the frame was minimised and run over the top, (same as the CBX) the bike would not be too wide, nor a lot heavier. This would then be a mile cruncher, and to H*** with fuel economy! They would of course need to find room for a much bigger tank.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
talked to my dealer today.
He said, "Honda was coming out with 3 new street bikes next month". I asked him what they were and he said he had no clue. so... here we go again....

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The article I read assumed that Honda would use one of two near-1300 engines already in production. Below is what one journalist had to say on the topic:

Leaked Document Allegedly Reveals New Honda VFR800F, CTX1300, CBR650F, CB650F and CB250F » Motorcycle.com News

The CTX1300 is a logical extension of Honda’s Comfort Technology eXperience philosophy introduced in 2013 with 700cc models. Honda already confirmed it would introduce more models with the CTX brand in various engine displacements and configurations. Honda’s 1312cc V-Twin engine currently used in the Fury and Sabre is an obvious choice to power another CTX model. Another intriguing but far less-likely possibility is a variation of the 1261cc V-4 used in the ST1300. Either way, expect Honda to offer the CTX130 with its second-generation Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) and anti-lock brakes.

I'm not sure I would agree with this analysis. Certainly it would be cheaper for Honda to use one of its existing power plants, but it doesn't seem to follow what I would consider the CTX plan, which would be to expand the automotive-style, low center of gravity, engine characteristics of the 670 cc set up to a larger displacement and to include the dual clutch option; although ABS may end up being standard at this higher price point.

I don't know anything about the two engines referenced above, but I assume they would not fit in only a slightly-larger-framed machine that was laid out like the current CTX. Am I wrong?

Of course Honda has never stated that the CTX line would all have similar styling and characteristics, so who knows. I'm only speculating, but speculating is kind of fun!

·
Registered
100 Posts
The article I read assumed that Honda would use one of two near-1300 engines already in production. Below is what one journalist had to say on the topic:

Leaked Document Allegedly Reveals New Honda VFR800F, CTX1300, CBR650F, CB650F and CB250F » Motorcycle.com News

The CTX1300 is a logical extension of Honda’s Comfort Technology eXperience philosophy introduced in 2013 with 700cc models. Honda already confirmed it would introduce more models with the CTX brand in various engine displacements and configurations. Honda’s 1312cc V-Twin engine currently used in the Fury and Sabre is an obvious choice to power another CTX model. Another intriguing but far less-likely possibility is a variation of the 1261cc V-4 used in the ST1300. Either way, expect Honda to offer the CTX130 with its second-generation Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) and anti-lock brakes.

I'm not sure I would agree with this analysis. Certainly it would be cheaper for Honda to use one of its existing power plants, but it doesn't seem to follow what I would consider the CTX plan, which would be to expand the automotive-style, low center of gravity, engine characteristics of the 670 cc set up to a larger displacement and to include the dual clutch option; although ABS may end up being standard at this higher price point.

I don't know anything about the two engines referenced above, but I assume they would not fit in only a slightly-larger-framed machine that was laid out like the current CTX. Am I wrong?

Of course Honda has never stated that the CTX line would all have similar styling and characteristics, so who knows. I'm only speculating, but speculating is kind of fun!
I agree. Why would they even call it a CTX if they were using a v-twin engine?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts