CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Others have complained that they don't like the sound of the CTX. I'm not worried so much about what kind of sound it makes, only the level of sound that it makes, so this question is for current owners or those who have test ridden.

Can you hear the engine on the highway over the wind noise for the purpose of knowing what gear you're in, since it doesn't have a gear indicator on the manual version?

I don't want a loud motorcycle, but I want one that I can at least hear. This is a complaint on the CB500 models, because it is so quiet, but I've not read anything regarding the CTX.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can you hear the engine on the highway over the wind noise for the purpose of knowing what gear you're in, since it doesn't have a gear indicator on the manual version?
Even though it has no gear indicator, it has a tachometer. Just by looking at it and the speedo you should get a good idea of what gear you're in and if you're in too high or too low of a gear. I think this is more useful than the sound. Also, it's very easy to add a gear indicator if you really wanted it.

This is a complaint on the CB500 models, because it is so quiet, but I've not read anything regarding the CTX.
Wow... the CB500 is much higher revving, so I'd expect the CTX engine to be even quieter. Alas, it's also a matter of the exhaust that they used. You can make any engine loud by installing a different exhaust.

With that said, I'm also looking to see what kind of replies you get here from the actual owners.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wear a full-face helmet and can hear the engine noise over the wind, all the way up to 75mph. It's not intrusive though; more of a low-pitched whirring sound. Like Pete suggested, I pay more attention to the tach, speedometer and feel of the engine to determine what gear I'm in, than the noise. Well, I take that back. I did that for the first few days. Now, I don't even have to think about it, and upshift and downshift, without even thinking about it. This transmission, even in its manual form, is smooth.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
For the CTX, I kind of like the low tone running around town. The motor is kind of noisy at a stop sign and smooths and quiets once underway.

Out on the hiway at 70 there is too much wind noise to care what it sounds like. It is not noisy enough to alert cars of you existence in most case as they have their windows up and who knows what else in their hands. I do think loud pipes saves lives but also cause hearing loss to the owner.

I have pretty much kept my all my bikes with stock exhausts. I don't care to spend 300-700 for that kind of change in sound. Now if it gained 10 horsepower I might think about it. 2 to 4 not worth it.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
The sound insulation in modern cars & trucks are gonna make the argument for loud pipes for safety reasons a moot point. Even now with my '03 Corolla I don't hear Harleys until they are next to me or right in front of me. This is without music playing as well.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sound insulation in modern cars & trucks are gonna make the argument for loud pipes for safety reasons a moot point. Even now with my '03 Corolla I don't hear Harleys until they are next to me or right in front of me. This is without music playing as well.
Of course this debate always shows up on every forum, but I agree with Kfrill for the most part. I usually hear loud MCs when I'm behind them on the road or when I'm out doing yard work; neither of which has ever saved a rider's life, however, there have been a few instances where the first time I noticed a bike around me is when it was in my mirror blind spot. So I guess it's possible that loud pipes could save lives in a few circumstances, but it is also true that if all bikes and other vehicles suddenly were designed to be louder in the name of saving lives, our environment would just be louder and then the bike pipes would have to be made even louder. Soon we would all be deaf due to the competition out there for everyone to be heard in the name of saving lives.

We could try a new strategy of keeping everything quieter, and then we could start hearing everything that we need to hear around us and maybe we would have higher quality lives as a bonus.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We could try a new strategy of keeping everything quieter, and then we could start hearing everything that we need to hear around us and maybe we would have higher quality lives as a bonus.
I like the way you think.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Kfill is definitely correct! Cars are like a sound proof cage these days.
Just think how many times a Fire Truck or Ambulance has come up behind you, and you didn't hear it until it was very close. (Well, it has happened to me a few times)
I am one of those riders that does like a little deep tone to my bikes, but not annoyingly loud. Just personal preference.
I don't believe loud pipes save lives though. Constantly scanning and being aware of where you are in the lane, and what others are doing around you will help save your life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased my ctx a few days ago and opened it up on the freeway last night and you definitely couldn't hear the engine BUT the rpm's are easy to follow.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just purchased my ctx a few days ago and opened it up on the freeway last night and you definitely couldn't hear the engine BUT the rpm's are easy to follow.
Maybe part of the issue with the CB500R and F is that the dashboard is hard to see, and therefore one can't see or hear their RPM. Those folks are really calling for a gear indicator over on their forum.

I saw a Youtube video and one can see for his or herself that the yellow display is hard to see in many circumstances. I've not seen the same complaint with the CTX series or NC series.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think the one occasion when loud pipes help is when filtering ... don't know if you call it that in America, when traffic is slow moving or stopped and a motorcycle overtakes in its own lane created in the gap between two conventional lanes.

With traffic slow moving or stopped there is a good chance drivers will hear a loud motorcycle exhaust.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what I read on another forum, there is currently a bill in the CA (USA) General Assembly that would outlaw lane splitting there also, and I assume, filtering as well; but from what I read, the bill may not have enough support to pass.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Many old Harley riders I talk to that have 40+ years of riding don't necessarily like loud pipes but they don't like quiet pipes either. Many feel that because of the sound proofing of cars, and the fact most riders are killed by cars, it might help once in awhile. I doubt if a study has ever been done. Maybe for the annoyance fact, it does not promote motorcycles in a favorable light.

That said, I have had Harleys (all stock pipes) and many other makes (all stock pipes) and almost all of them were louder than the CTX at freeway speed.

Do I want my CTX louder.... you bet I do, but not on the exhaust sound, but on the horn sound... pretty feeble horn if I don't mind saying.

Reactions: fjones and Kfrill

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, I've always had after-market horns on all my bikes. Air horns take up too much room on a bike, but Bosch has a great range of Electro-pneumatic horns plus the Super-Tone range. I have used two of each and run them through not one, but two 30amp relays. One pair I have (Bellino from memory) face forward and are similar in appearance and location to the standard horns on my 82 CBX. The other two with the short trumpet, I have pointing down towards the roadway. Net result wakes the dead. As for the sound of the CTX, it's not a single and it's not any of the different configurations of V-twin, so fooling around with any after-market exhust system will only make a louder purr. You might think it's going better, but chances are performance, economy and reliability will all suffer. Honda has used the 270 degree crank in order to give the CTX a distinctive sound, but it will still be muted in keeping with tomorrow's legal requirements. Anyway, the police just love it when a loud bike goes by. They just got to pull you over for a chat. Loud pipes are also a hinderance if you leave some place later than you shouldda. Forget the idea they are a life-saver. Paying attention to your riding is a life-saver. Remember, an "accident" happens when two inattentive road users arrive at the the same place at the same time.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
old Tom, somewhere down the road I will explore a different horn. I know there will be better ones that will bolt right on where the original one is mounted.

You are right that exhaust changes don't always give more power and attract the authorities. I bet this motor wants a little back pressure in the exhaust. The oxygen sensor will adjust the computer for some changes and fuel mixtures will fit the change but I doubt it will be able to adjust to all changes people could/might make.

Reactions: fjones

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
I prefer a bike with no noise. I think all bikes are too loud, but with stock exhaust most of the noise come from the mechanical workings of the engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts