CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having just ordered/purchased a Helite Turtle 2 air bag, I visited their Facebook page. Interestingly enough, it appears, as far as I can tell from the photos, that one recent airbag deployment was from a CTX700 rider wearing a Helite airbag:

https://www.facebook.com/HeliteMotoUSA/posts/1021896224667984

Blue skies,
PilotBiker

P.S. NOTE: I am not associated with Helite Moto in anyway except as a customer.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Looking forward to your review/impressions @PilotBiker

·
Registered
828 Posts
Having just ordered/purchased a Helite Turtle 2 air bag, I visited their Facebook page. Interestingly enough, it appears, as far as I can tell from the photos, that one recent airbag deployment was from a CTX700 rider wearing a Helite airbag:

https://www.facebook.com/HeliteMotoUSA/posts/1021896224667984

Blue skies,
PilotBiker

P.S. NOTE: I am not associated with Helite Moto in anyway except as a customer.
I have a Hitair mesh jacket. Love the added assurance.
https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/480721-post2.html

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Airbag Systems: Mechanically vs. Electrically Activated

I've been very happy with my "Hit-air" brand jacket.
It provides me a greater sense of security; not that I ever hope to need it. Five bills
Looks good Gordon! :)

It was a toss-up between Hit-Air and Helite airbag systems for me, both of which are mechanically activated. No batteries charge or activation lights to monitor...falls into the KISS philosophy IMHO. Helite price point was higher but they probably did a better job with their marketing or maybe the demo girls on the videos were just a tad prettier, ha! Lol. ;) However, one cannot go wrong with either system as they so closely comparable in terms of the technology used and the protection both provides. Lastly, most motorcyclist are worried about accidental activation with these systems where one forgets to unhook from the teether. From what I have read from both the manufacturers and current owners, it is not a common occurrence since it takes a about 30 or so lbs of force to activate and one will get an initial tug if one forgets to unhook before dismounting (Gordon, you can validate this if you wish). In any case, in the unlikely event it does get inadvertently activated, reloading is a simple process of installing a new CO2 canister.

Initially, I was drawn towards the AlpineStars and Dainese sensor/electrically activated airbags. Both were pretty impressive but after much analysis, I decided to go mechanical vs. electrical. Just FYI, once any of these two airbag systems are activated, both require a return to the manufacturer or dealer for a complete check and reload of new canister...at a cost of a few hundred bucks.

Blue skies,
PilotBiker

·
Registered
828 Posts
Looks good Gordon! :)

. From what I have read from both the manufacturers and current owners, it is not a common occurrence since it takes a about 30 or so lbs of force to activate and one will get an initial tug if one forgets to unhook before dismounting (Gordon, you can validate this if you wish).
PilotBiker

You've offered a great overview of the systems. As for tug on the tether; I've tugged a couple of times, but the slightest tug makes you retract. Unlatching is similar to having to undo a seat belt; so you are already trained to go through the motion.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I never knew these existed, but they look like a great idea. Do they cut down on airflow significantly?

Yes they do some, but it really depends on the amount of air flow coming your way. I have upper and lower fairings so air flow is limited. I still ride comfortably in 75 degree weather and try to open up my vents in higher temperatures. I recommend the mesh jacket and then you can layer as you get closer to winter.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Can anyone who has experience with airbag vests help me with a question? If I get a vest, I'd like to wear it over an armored jacket. It looks like wearing it under a racket is not an option for vests that operate by a tether attached to the bike. I normally get an xl jacket, but an XL vest may not fit well over an armored jacket. Do you wear your vest over a jacket, and if so, did you have to go up a size for the vest? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I'm wearing the vest as the top layer. I ordered one of the below a few days ago. In shopping, I noticed that XL (over 90 kilos) is most often the largest size. The two most common types are zippered in the front and 2 or 3 straps. I chose the latter inasmuch as I weigh in at 118 kilos. The straps are long enough that it should work on someone a lot larger than me.

Here's the link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33003605635.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.24294c4dACoimy

I opted for Aliexpress over an almost identical unit from Amazon since Ali was just under half as expensive. Still a bargain even if they hit me with a tariff when it comes in.
:eek:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have to say that I really like converting my pounds to kilos. Makes me feel much thinner. I think your'e right about some vests having lots of room for varying weight. Some have only 2 sizes: s-l and XL-3xl. I won't have to be so precise if I choose one of those, and it might be adjustable enough to use with or without a jacket.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I have to say that I really like converting my pounds to kilos. Makes me feel much thinner. I think your'e right about some vests having lots of room for varying weight. Some have only 2 sizes: s-l and XL-3xl. I won't have to be so precise if I choose one of those, and it might be adjustable enough to use with or without a jacket.
My though exactly. I want to actually feel how it fits so I can better judge what size to get my wife ( Small vs. Medium).

I intend to get her one as well even without the promise that she'll actually get on the trike and use it. Methinks that the wine I'll have to pour into her to get her warm and fuzzy enough to get on the trike with me will end up costing more than the vest. Maybe even cost more than the Day-Long seat I'm doing for her with the same purpose in mind.
:eek:
Later on, if you see me selling that vest, you'll know that she is too busy with her AA meetings and won't ride with me.
:(

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Helite Turtle 2 Sizing Fit

Can anyone who has experience with airbag vests help me with a question? If I get a vest, I'd like to wear it over an armored jacket. It looks like wearing it under a racket is not an option for vests that operate by a tether attached to the bike. I normally get an xl jacket, but an XL vest may not fit well over an armored jacket. Do you wear your vest over a jacket, and if so, did you have to go up a size for the vest? Thanks!
Hi Donquixote, I just got 2 Helite Turtle 2 airbag vests (Size = L), one black & another in orange, which fits nicely OVER my armored Olympia Hudson jacket (Size = L). I am 5'11" weighing @ 185 lbs with 40-inch chest, 33-inch waist. I have the Helite vest adjusted to its most tightest setting but it has a lot of room for adjustment for somebody bigger. Hope this helps you with sizing.

Blue skies,
Ricardo 'PilotBiker'

P.S. Am still waiting for my CTX700 to come in from TX, so been riding the Harley in the meantime. ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi Donquixote, I just got 2 Helite Turtle 2 airbag vests (Size = L), one black & another in orange, which fits nicely OVER my armored Olympia Hudson jacket (Size = L). I am 5'11" weighing @ 185 lbs with 40-inch chest, 33-inch waist. I have the Helite vest adjusted to its most tightest setting but it has a lot of room for adjustment for somebody bigger. Hope this helps you with sizing.

Blue skies,
Ricardo 'PilotBiker'

P.S. Am still waiting for my CTX700 to come in from TX, so been riding the Harley in the meantime. ;-)
Thanks for the info and photos! That looks exactly like what I have in mind. Glad to know there's a lot of room for adjusting the size.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't see any Turtle 2 in orange, only the Turtle 1. Where did you get the Orange?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thanks Ricardo. They really need to fix their site. I looked all over it and could not find the orange...

That said, I decided to go HiViz. Thanks again for the heads up on these.

·
Registered
234 Posts
having just ordered/purchased a helite turtle 2 air bag, i visited their facebook page. Interestingly enough, it appears, as far as i can tell from the photos, that one recent airbag deployment was from a ctx700 rider wearing a helite airbag:

https://www.facebook.com/helitemotousa/posts/1021896224667984

blue skies,
pilotbiker

p.s. Note: I am not associated with helite moto in anyway except as a customer.
thanks...good to consider....didn't know they had such a thing

1 - 20 of 24 Posts