CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have pretty new (less than 2 months) with about 900 miles CTX DCT. After the 600 mile service the bike had 2 instances where it stalled out. The first one was a little below 10 miles an hour. The second one happened at around 35. The second occurrence the bike slipped out of gear entirely before it stalled.

I am a relatively new rider and am loving the bike, but randomly stalling in traffic was pretty nerve racking and was one of the scenarios I was trying to avoid by purchasing the DCT transmission.

Has anyone else had this occur?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the DCT model as well and I haven't experienced this issue.

Reactions: DanFelix

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
No problems, if you are close to the dealer, take it to them. There should be diagnostic fault codes just like a car.

·
Registered
433 Posts
No problems here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mines running great

·
Registered
301 Posts
When it stalled was it like the key was turned off or did it sputter then die? After it stalls does it start right back up wiothout doing anything but hit the starter? does it crank but not fire? If it doesn't start until the key is turned off then back on. These are all questions they will want answers to. You should take the bike in as this is a problem that should definately be covered by warranty. Make sure your sidestand is staying up. I had a sidestand break one of its double springs and my bike would stall when I hit bumps beacuse the stand wasn't all the way up. On the DCT any engine shut off switch-ie right grip kill, key, tip over, sidestand- will immedeately take the bike to nuetral and shut off the engine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
When it stalled was it like the key was turned off or did it sputter then die? After it stalls does it start right back up wiothout doing anything but hit the starter? does it crank but not fire? If it doesn't start until the key is turned off then back on. These are all questions they will want answers to. You should take the bike in as this is a problem that should definately be covered by warranty. Make sure your sidestand is staying up. I had a sidestand break one of its double springs and my bike would stall when I hit bumps beacuse the stand wasn't all the way up. On the DCT any engine shut off switch-ie right grip kill, key, tip over, sidestand- will immedeately take the bike to nuetral and shut off the engine.

Good points, especially the kick stand issue, not sure I would have thought to look at that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the info. I should have mentioned that the bike has been at the dealer since Tuesday of this week. They said the tester they have to pull the fault codes was an older model that wouldn't collect data from this particular bike. They indicated that they were waiting on a new tester from Honda. I spoke to Honda in CA as well and I believe they have given the dealership suggestions on some items to check. I think it’s more challenging for them as it’s a new model. It’s a bit frustrating to wait for answers, which is one of the reason I wanted to post here, to see if this was something others had experienced.

In terms of when it stalled, the first time it was fairly immediate. The second time though it slipped out of gear and just revved while I gave it throttle. That lasted about 5 seconds or so and then it sputtered and died. In both cases when it stalled it was able to coast.

Once I was able to get out of traffic the bike started right back up. I didn't have to touch the key at all. The first time it happened it was less of an issue as it was low speed and no real traffic. The second time there was a lot of traffic and the speed was much higher.

Thanks again for the tips. I'll share them with the dealership. I hope they can figure out what's going on soon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Chaze,
Something similar happened to me, after riding about 120 miles, I was at a stop light and pulled off and it wouldn't get out of 2nd even when I gave it more throttle. I pulled over to the curb switched it off, and started back up again and drove home. I will be on it again this weekend but I only have a little over 200 miles on mine.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Sorry to read that there is some sort of engineering issue related to the D models that has affected more than one member already with regards to stalling.

Most likely though, there is something simple going on that will require an easy fix that's going to solve all of this; maybe they'll be a recall to address whatever the problem is to nip it in the bud.

If I were a D model owner, even if my bike hadn't stalled, I would contact my dealer or Honda of America to let them know that this is going on with some owners. This is a huge safety concern. What if one were pulling out in traffic, and his or her bike stalled in the middle of a lane with oncoming traffic?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Are you guys sure you didn't accidentally hit the MT/AT switch when you were braking? I've done that a few times and realized that I was in manual mode and it doesn't change gears (unless it's downshifting) in manual mode.

Reactions: DanFelix

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good point tundra. I didn't notice that but will be alert to that when i ride tomorrow morning. After I started back up, i didn't have any more trouble, and it did start after I came to a complete stop.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This happened to me one time as I was moving out from a stop sign. I pulled over and all the lights were still on and the bike started right back up. I believe I brushed the kill switch with my right glove and killed the motor that way.

·
Registered
309 Posts
This happened to me one time as I was moving out from a stop sign. I pulled over and all the lights were still on and the bike started right back up. I believe I brushed the kill switch with my right glove and killed the motor that way.
I've done that a time or two as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you guys sure you didn't accidentally hit the MT/AT switch when you were braking? I've done that a few times and realized that I was in manual mode and it doesn't change gears (unless it's downshifting) in manual mode.
Hi Tundra.

When it happened the first time I did think "What did I do?", as it had never occurred before. The second time it happened though, I am sure it wasn't something I did. The incident was a little different the second time as It slipped into neutral while going about 35 and didn't stall out right away. Only after about 5 seconds did the engine sputter and stall.

Thank you

·
Registered
301 Posts
Have your dealer look at your tip over switch. It will put the bike in nuetral and shut off the fuel pump when activated. It should however require the key be cycled off and on to reset. Don't ask how I know all about the tip over switch function ok. I promised my wife I wouldn't share about her misfortunes. It may just be the plug isn't seated all the way. Had that issue on the tranny harness on our new Taurus with less than 100 miles. best of luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My CTX DCT stalled the second day I had it with 81 miles on it. It stalled out, luckily at a stop sign. I was not expecting it and the bike fell on it's side. I had just viewed a YouTube video on how to lift your bike and was able to lift it off the street. It would not start up again even after turning it off and on and rocking it. It would not go into neutral. I had it towed and the Honda dealer is picking it up tomorrow to check it out. I'll keep you all informed on what goes on next.

·
Registered
842 Posts
My CTX DCT stalled the second day I had it with 81 miles on it. It stalled out, luckily at a stop sign. I was not expecting it and the bike fell on it's side. I had just viewed a YouTube video on how to lift your bike and was able to lift it off the street. It would not start up again even after turning it off and on and rocking it. It would not go into neutral. I had it towed and the Honda dealer is picking it up tomorrow to check it out. I'll keep you all informed on what goes on next.
My, my, that is dreadful. So sorry it happened. I hope you weren't injured, tho I imagine the bike was...

Ride Often, Ride Safe,
f

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just a thought, but check the battery connections to make sure they're tight.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts