CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share what we found and may save someone a few bucks in the process.
Heated grips: there are several aftermarket brands which will work just fine for half the price (installed!) than the "Honda" ones. We are using Oxford heaters.
Very hot! With 4 levels of heat. Thicker than the standard grips too. $180.00 installed.
Top case: do a search for "scooter top case" on e-bay motors. They are cheep Chinese knock offs but I've yet to have a problem. Some are painted and should match the red quite well. Our white one is is almost impossible to see a difference. There are many sizes and shapes available. The black one on my husbands V-strom was $45 with shipping and my white one was $85.!!! (See the pic in the gallery) both are quick release and are easy to install on the luggage racks!
Saddle bags: yes the honda ones are cool, look great and probably function well too. But.... $500 plus is a little silly for plastic. We're going with some soft bags. With a little searching we should be rollin' for about $100.
Tank bag: we found the "frunk" or cubby hole to be just about useless! Tank bags come in many sizes and shapes. There great for wallet, hat, cell phone, garage door opener etc. just be sure to get a strap mount bag as there is no metal for a magnetic mount! Mine is a "motocentric" $65.00.
Cig. Lighter: go to radio shack and get one for 8 bucks! Or get the "battery tender" unit shown elsewhere in this forum looks nice too. My husband has mounted one on his last three bikes. Looks and works great!
Future goodies will be some mini boards and probably custom seat. The tall windshield has arrived just need to pick up and install. Aftermarket windshields are usually in the $150 range so well give this one a shot.
Happy trails all!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Request for more information

Just thought I'd share what we found and may save someone a few bucks in the process.

Top case: do a search for "scooter top case" on e-bay motors. They are cheep Chinese knock offs but I've yet to have a problem. Some are painted and should match the red quite well. Our white one is is almost impossible to see a difference. There are many sizes and shapes available. The black one on my husbands V-strom was $45 with shipping and my white one was $85.!!! (See the pic in the gallery) both are quick release and are easy to install on the luggage racks!
Hey JinPtown. I asked this on another thread but maybe you didn't get back to it. The pic you've got of your top case for the CTX looks like a Bestem, model 2012. The Bestem cases are cheap and good like you say according to many reviewers. This is one of the popular cases used by Suzuki Burgman owners. I went to the Bestem website; they've got a white one as an option that looks just like your picture. They've also got a maroon one that would match pretty nicely with the CTX red. I had a question that I'll also ask you on a PM...How did you mount it? The website shows that it comes with a rack, but what about the brackets and hardware? Did you buy them from Honda at $150 or more? Did you get something somewhere else? Or did you engineer something yourself? Can you send a pic that shows how it is mounted in more detail?

I definitely want one of those Bestem top cases for $80 in red or even white if I can't find a red one, but I don't know if I can find a cheap alternative to the Honda brackets and how to find them if they are available.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts