CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am recently a new owner to a Honda CTX 700N manual and I have rode a few times and really enjoy it so far. Although I went to go for a ride today and found out that the bike won’t shift into first or second gear. I checked the clutch cable right away thinking it must be broken and not working but found out everything looks good and nothing is loose that I can tell. I then checked the fuses thinking it could be a sensor issue as there are two terminals that plug into the inside of the clutch. Has anyone had issues with the sensor going bad on the clutch? If not I’m thinking it needs to be rebuilt which would be very surprising considering the bike only has 3,000 miles on it. Anyone got any suggestions of how to troubleshoot this issue and fix it? Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
450 Posts
The clutch also won't engage when the kickstand is down... just to make sure. (Might be the solenoid for the kickstand as well.)

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you havent already i would start by downloading the service manual from one of the links here and go from there.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Attached is a link to download the service manual PDF. Look thru chapter 11 for troubleshooting and to get an idea on how it operates. On page 1-39 it only shows the crank position sensor wires entering near the clutch. I don’t think the manual uses any type of sensors that would prevent it from shifting. I assume it is stuck in neutral and wont shift into any gear. Issues with the manual transmission on the CTX and NC 700 are rare if you Google the question. I would guess it has something to do with the pedal linkage jammed up or the ratcheting mechanism that turns the shift drum. There is no they all do that and here is an easy fix.
http://www.greenknights36.com/html/files/Pictures/Temp/ServiceManual.pdf

·
Registered
375 Posts
I hunted around on the forums without success. Wasnt there a discussion several years ago with JFC about a pin or something that was coming loose on a trans shaft?

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you look on page 11-15 the shift drum socket bolt I believe is the equivalent of the shift pin that would come loose on the DCT and prevent it from shifting, See page 12-75. It is referred to as the shift drum center bolt. This holds the shift drum center on the DCT or the shift drum stopper plate on the manual. If it comes loose it jams up the shift ratchet mechanism. The repair on the DCT was to apply the correct locking agent and torque it back to spec.
I hunted around on the forums without success. Wasnt there a discussion several years ago with JFC about a pin or something that was coming loose on a trans shaft?

·
Registered
2014 manual, naked version,Corbin, Bodis exhaust,factory bags, MRA windscreen, center stand
70 Posts
I had a similar problem when my bike was still low mileage. I corrected it by adjusting the clutch cable just slightly. I believe the cable just stretched a small amount because I never had the concern again. It is probably the easiest thing to try first and you may not even need tools to do it.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
If you look on page 11-15 the shift drum socket bolt I believe is the equivalent of the shift pin that would come loose on the DCT and prevent it from shifting, See page 12-75. It is referred to as the shift drum center bolt. This holds the shift drum center on the DCT or the shift drum stopper plate on the manual. If it comes loose it jams up the shift ratchet mechanism. The repair on the DCT was to apply the correct locking agent and torque it back to spec.
see above

·
Registered
593 Posts
see above
I have never seen any complaints of the bolt coming loose on the manual or being an issue. Although if it did come loose it could create a problem. Based on how many instances that this had happened to the CTX and NC700 DCT’s that you can find online, I think that it was a rare occurrence. I think the new NC 750 DCT’s are using the exact same design and possibly the exact same bolt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In your description of the problem you indicated that this is not a DCT. So:
1. does the shift lever move or is it locked in place? Doesn't move check linkage to transmission
2. can you get it in gear when it is not running? (try rocking the bike back and forth)
3. if you get it in gear, can you move the bike by disengaging the clutch? doesn't move check clutch cable
4. attempt to start the bike while in gear and the clutch pulled. does the bike start or try to leap forward?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am recently a new owner to a Honda CTX 700N manual and I have rode a few times and really enjoy it so far. Although I went to go for a ride today and found out that the bike won’t shift into first or second gear. I checked the clutch cable right away thinking it must be broken and not working but found out everything looks good and nothing is loose that I can tell. I then checked the fuses thinking it could be a sensor issue as there are two terminals that plug into the inside of the clutch. Has anyone had issues with the sensor going bad on the clutch? If not I’m thinking it needs to be rebuilt which would be very surprising considering the bike only has 3,000 miles on it. Anyone got any suggestions of how to troubleshoot this issue and fix it? Thanks
I am pretty sure with kickstand down, it will not go into gear. I have an automatic CTX and when in gear if I put kickstand down, it shuts down.

·
Registered
375 Posts
He has the manual trans model but, Yes, you can start up the DCT and unless you raise the kickstand pressing the D/S button does nothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts