CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone consider the CB1100 before deciding on CTX 700? Any thoughts on the pros and cons of these two bikes?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I haven't bought either one yet, but I was looking at the CB1100 for a long time, trying to convince myself that I would eventually feel comfortable with the height and foot peg position, but pretty much gave up. The CTX is super comfortable for me (I'll have to get used to the pegs being so far forward - from one extreme to the other). I think it's what I'll be getting if I can afford the extra insurance on a new bike. That is all that's holding me back right now.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
The CB1100 is truly a nice looking retro style bike. It is a log of bike for the money but I can buy the real retro bikes in good shape if you wait and watch for them.

I think the weight being high makes it feel it's weight and seat height is to much for me. also, for me, water cooling makes sense because we have many days over 95 here (like the next 3 days). Also service of the valves is a consideration. Typically 16k intervals and they are shim and bucket type so dealer cost is very high. Not all motorcycling is cheap transportation and many are just toys. Ok, I am guilty. lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can buy a retro (or old bike) if you like, but what you have is an old bike with old technology, parts can be hard to find. The CB1100 is a retro style bike with modern technology and plenty of parts available should you need them (and you probably won't). Which one do you want?????

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
apples and oranges. The 1100 is much more powerful and has a much higher seat height. I love that bike and if my wife had a higher inseam we would have one and not the CTX. With that in mind she LOVES the CTX. I wish I could afford a mint CB750.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Both bikes are completely different animals, there is nothing in common with each other. If you have trouble decideing between the two, a test ride on both will quickly answer that or even just sitting on them will do it alone. The CB is a very heavy quick upright tank while the CTX is a laid back low cruising feather for a quick comparison.

Alot of people on here complain about the ctx for being heavy and hard to maneuver. I find that funny, this bike is insanely light and nimble almost like a toy. I couldn't believe how light it was when I first sat on one, it explains why the kickstand is set so low. The cb is very top heavy! So, if a ctx has any hint of weight to you, you will not like the cb.

The good thing about the new cb, is that it reserects a true standard bike. Most bikes now really only fall into two catagories, cruiser and sport, even the ones that they call standard.

It all boils down to a question all people should have with any bike purchase. What will it be used for and will it fullfill that purpose? Cause there are a ton of bikes to choose from and all have different combinations of purposes and one will not do everything you want it to.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Did anyone consider the CB1100 before deciding on CTX 700? Any thoughts on the pros and cons of these two bikes?
Just because two vehicles are far different from one another does not mean that one might not consider and/or compare each before buying. I can definitely see where you're coming from on your inquiry, even though others may not. I love the looks of the CB1100, but I knew from a functional standpoint and a practicality standpoint, the CB1100 wasn't for me. I ride a bike for fun, easy-to-commute-on transportation, and the CB1100 is way too much bike for me, and if 1100 cc bikes were my only choices, I'd choose not to ride, even though I love to ride.

I found myself considering choices that were far different from each other; most of which were smaller displacement choices than the CTX, because I just want high mpg, adequate power, great durability, value, and easy to ride fun.

If I had endless money, I'd have opted for a Zero S (electric) for $16K and 200 mpg-e and zero time at the gas station, even though I don't like the fact that Zero doesn't offer any kind of touring or cruiser-type choices in their bikes and for $16K, you get a really stripped-down, naked bike. I also considered Honda's new CB500X. But it became a decision of value, fuel economy, and how much I was going to budget myself to spend, because I always liked the idea of the high, low-end torque of the 670 power train over the 470, more traditional motorcycle-like CB500X. I just had to decide whether or not I was going to spend an extra $1800 for the CTX.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up getting the CTX. I went to the shop, and sat on both. The CB1100 was a bit high and top heavy, but like one commenter here, I thought the foot peg position might be more comfortable. The CTX was lower and I felt more confident, but I wasn't crazy re the forward foot pegs. In the end, I chose the CTX because I liked the fairing and the windscreen. I typically ride to work, about a 15 mile commute, 80 percent highway driving. The fairing and wind screen are a much more practical choice for the kind of riding that I do.

Having put about 500 miles on the bike, I am general pleased with the bike, but I guess not overwhelmingly so. There's plenty of power for my type of riding, and I have not experienced any issues with the tall windscreen (unlike some who have written here). I got the manual and the bike shifts effortlessly. It's light and nimble with plenty of acceleration.

The one draw back, I guess, is that I am not finding the seating position as comfortable as I thought it would be. My old bike was a Honda Shadow 600. The length of that bike was a bit shorter and the seat had a ridge between rider and passenger that doubled as a back rest. I find myself missing that back rest on the CTX. I noticed that there are some companies that sell after-market seats (e.g., Corbin). If one is offered for the CTX I would certainly look into that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We traded a 1992 CB 750 Nighthawk and it was MINT , all orig.with 15 K miles....Wife just did not like it and didn't ride it so we traded it for the CTX which she loves....its a women thing

·
Registered
87 Posts
We own both a CTX (naked) and a CB1100. My wife rides the CTX and does not like my CB (too tall and feels top heavy). CTX gets much better gas mileage. CTX is pretty comfortable as a tourer whereas the CB can get a bit hard on the back after awhile. CB handles better and is much quicker. CBs standard style gives more options for carrying gear, but we are adding side cases to the CTX in spring. Overall, if you want great mileage with a comfortable ride and a light weight feel, the CTX is great. But I do love my CB. :)

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
the CB1100 Honda is a beautiful bike and not badly priced. Must be fun when the two of you hit the road on your bikes.

In my mind, the CB1100 is a very naked standard bike like many other CB models I have had over the years. I just wanted water cooling and less weight so the CB1100 was off my short list. I did get the FZ-09. Today it warmed up to 55 so I put 50 miles on my CTX and 25 on my FZ-09 just riding back roads nearby.

Reactions: CTX

·
Registered
87 Posts
FZ-09 is a very cool bike. Considering it for my son (aka another bike in the garage for me to ride lol)

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
FZ-09 is a very cool bike. Considering it for my son (aka another bike in the garage for me to ride lol)
it is not a nice looking as you CB1100 but I warn you, don't ride it. You will love the low end power and how light it is.

Reactions: CTX
1 - 15 of 15 Posts