CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just bought her CTX 700D a couple of weeks ago and has been trying to make the shift from her Rebel 250. She likes everything about the CTX except the fact the seat height is too high for her. She is very comfortable with the peg placement, etc, just cannot stop with both feet flat on the ground. The dealer informed us Honda does not make a lowering kit and they said the bikes are too new to find aftermarket parts yet. Has anyone found a source for a lowering kit. She would like to lower the CTX 1-1/2 to 2 inches?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
go to ebay and search for lowering kits for nc700x models then see if you can go to their web site or contact them for help as they may have one. The two dog bone shape links by the shock have to be a different length. Not sure is it is longer or shorter. Another way is go to a seat shop and have them narrow the front part of the seat so she can get her legs down straighter.

good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
go to ebay and search for lowering kits for nc700x models then see if you can go to their web site or contact them for help as they may have one. The two dog bone shape links by the shock have to be a different length. Not sure is it is longer or shorter. Another way is go to a seat shop and have them narrow the front part of the seat so she can get her legs down straighter.

good luck.
I followed your instructions exactly and found a lowering kit manufacturer who claims their adjustable links fit all bikes. I wrote to them specifically to ask if their link will fit on the CTX 700. Hopefully the answer is yes, because theirs will lower the bike up to 4 inches. It does fit on the NC 700X if that makes a difference.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
You can get the adjustable lowering links like mentioned. In conjunction slide the forks up the clamps evenly to lower front. Adjust front and rear height together to keep the same ride characteristics.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I followed your instructions exactly and found a lowering kit manufacturer who claims their adjustable links fit all bikes. I wrote to them specifically to ask if their link will fit on the CTX 700. Hopefully the answer is yes, because theirs will lower the bike up to 4 inches. It does fit on the NC 700X if that makes a difference.
if you lower the CTX 4 inches you will be dragging the pegs too much.

there is a difference in the two bikes. just compare the stock ground clearance specs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife has exactly the same issue. This was the lowest bike we could find but still just an inch or 2 too high. For now she is offsetting this with a good pair of Dansko shoes we picked up at the walking company. Supper comfortable for her and it has made all the difference for now in terms of getting her basically flat footed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you lower the CTX 4 inches you will be dragging the pegs too much.

there is a difference in the two bikes. just compare the stock ground clearance specs.
Thanks! We looked at the NC 700X and saw how high it sits. We really only need 1 to 1-1/2 inches. 4 inches would be crazy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife just bought her CTX 700D a couple of weeks ago and has been trying to make the shift from her Rebel 250. She likes everything about the CTX except the fact the seat height is too high for her. She is very comfortable with the peg placement, etc, just cannot stop with both feet flat on the ground. The dealer informed us Honda does not make a lowering kit and they said the bikes are too new to find aftermarket parts yet. Has anyone found a source for a lowering kit. She would like to lower the CTX 1-1/2 to 2 inches?
I bought the bike a month ago, and same as your wife, I couldn't flat foot, just about 1 1/2 inches short. The dealer where I bought the bike from were able to find the lowering kit and they added in for me for free (around $150 part + labor). I also bought a HD boot with 2 inches heel, great boot. Now I'm all flat foot and already put in 500miles on my bike. Put in boot insole for additional height.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Only problem when you lower the CTX it'll be like the comparison I made to a Sportster on another thread, rides like a piece of plywood on a skateboard.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I bought the bike a month ago, and same as your wife, I couldn't flat foot, just about 1 1/2 inches short. The dealer where I bought the bike from were able to find the lowering kit and they added in for me for free (around $150 part + labor). I also bought a HD boot with 2 inches heel, great boot. Now I'm all flat foot and already put in 500miles on my bike. Put in boot insole for additional height.

lowering a bike is always an option. what you do when you lower the rear is increase the rake of the forks. This will tend to make it heavier going slow and make if feel more stable going fast.

to keep the geometry about the same you could also lower the front by letting the fork tubes rise in the triple clamps about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Depending of how much the rear link lowered the bike it might get the steering closer to original for a lighter feel.

also you will have lower ground clearance when lowering a bike so test that slowly till you know the limits. The ride should be about the same because one rarely bottoms out the suspension unless you load it down with gear.

The stock CTX kick stand allows the bike to really lean over so maybe you did not have to shorten it but in most cases you do. When I had to, I purchased a new kickstand, sawed an inch out of it and had a welder put the foot back on.

the boots were a good idea, and you can adjust the foot controls to fit your boots a little if needed. you could also take your seat to a shop and have them narrow the front some which would help you putting your feet down.

I have had to lower my VFR800, made all the difference in my comfort and confidence.

Happy riding.

Reactions: ofdave
1 - 12 of 12 Posts