CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best cruise control for a 2015 CTX 700DCT with factory heated hand grips

·
Registered
226 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Do you want a cruise control (which adjusts your throttle to maintain speed) or a throttle lock (usually incorrectly called a cruise control but all it does is hold the throttle in one spot and only maintains speed on a perfectly flat road)?

For a throttle lock I've got a Kuryakyn 6218 throttle assist which is inexpensive and works well. Another nicer one is the BrakeAway. For a cruise control there is a company in Australia making one which you can find at mccruise.com

Steve

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know what would be best for you, but I do have a 2015 CTX 700DCT with factory heated hand grips, and have made my choice. As mentioned above, you can get a 'real' one, for about $1,000, which will maintain your speed, or something that will maintain your throttle position, for $100 or so.

I had 2 reasons for choosing the Kaoko Throttle Lock 1) Needed something to rest my throttle hand on longer rides. 2) Didn't want to spend $1000.

The Kaoko is easy to use, and doesn't lock your throttle, just makes it harder to turn - when it's set. When it's disengaged you can't tell it's there.

It was not easy to follow the instructions that come with it, but was pretty easy to pay my Honda dealer to install it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank everyone for their input, I think I will be going with the Brakeaway device. This seems to work well and not break the bank.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Thank everyone for their input, I think I will be going with the Brakeaway device. This seems to work well and not break the bank.
I have had 2 brakeaways. They're good, but of course work best on flat surfaces. But can give your hand a rest. I also feel they're the safest since they so quickly release.

My buddy put an automobile cruise on his Suzuki Burgman 650. He looked at my throttle control linkage, showed me it was the same as on the burg, and didn't see why it wouldn't work on the C. It took him a bit to figure out the wiring, and he's a retired electrician. But he did and it works very well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made my own throttle lock with a "Big Cloths Pin" from the dollar store and some wide-ass elastic bands.

Put 1 elastic band on the throttle,
Clip the cloths pin to it with the "squeezy" bits facing forward,
Use another elastic to "increase the clamp tension as desired" (test tension so it doesn't slip/not too tight)
Head out to the highway
Accelerate to desired RPM, push cloths pin down with fore finger to touch the brake handle.
Release throttle.

This worked all day long on a 4 day highway trip.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the Brakeaway. Works very well. Of course I live in the part of North Dakota where you have to go down a ditch to find a hill. Serious. If there was no such things as gravity you could shoot a gun and the bullet would go 250 miles before it struck land again. Perfect for throttle locks. 0:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I looked at the MC cruise kit. downloaded the install instructions. it looks like a well designed system and has a set-up for the CTX700 specifically.
its still on my list of possible mods. but I want to ride the bike some more to see if I really think I need it.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I considered my C to be unridable because of the throttle. After searching countless systems I went with the BrakeAway system with no regrets. You still have to have your hand on the throttle but you can relax your grip and maintain some resemblance of your desired speed. It takes constant tweaking on unflat surfaces but your hand/wrist/arm will be grateful.

Glenn

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just have a Go Cruise, essentially a metal adjustable clothespin but better. Works great for flat straight stretches or road which is pretty much the only place you can use cruise control. Under $25 bucks and easy to install and remove.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I considered my C to be unridable because of the throttle. After searching countless systems I went with the BrakeAway system with no regrets. You still have to have your hand on the throttle but you can relax your grip and maintain some resemblance of your desired speed. It takes constant tweaking on unflat surfaces but your hand/wrist/arm will be grateful.

Glenn
If you still have to keep your hand on the throttle you don't have it adjusted correctly. When grip is released, on this or any other throttle lock, it should stay in position. Now you can rest your hand in your lap or have both hands to unzip your jacket or whatever.

If you are talking about going 60 mph on a level road and having the bike speed up when going down a hill, then Yes it will need a slight throttle adjustment to reduce throttle opening so you don't speed up. Pretty sure this is what you are talking about but don't want a newbie to read your post incorrectly.

If you need to be able to grip the throttle less (like I do due to carpal tunnel in my hands) then you have to look at things like the Kuraykn Throttle Boss or the various throttle rocker products.

Steve

·
Registered
96 Posts

Glenn
I wonder what Glenn means by "C"?
probably "Car"
he doesn't like his Car throttle.
understandable
we have all been there.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I wonder what Glenn means by "C"?
probably "Car"
he doesn't like his Car throttle.
understandable
we have all been there.
Really? That’s what you get from my post?
I don’t even have a car.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I think that was a joke, Glenn.
Thanks Mark! I need to lighten up, I suppose. Lol.
Lately I’ve been taking things the wrong way. I’m currently recovering from heart surgery so it’s got me off my game. I better smarten up!

Glenn

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
When I rode across the country on my 1989 CBR600F1 ( ...a trip my butt still hasn’t forgiven me for.....), I used one of these.

C85A08FC-37B6-4987-BB0E-F24B1A574E8E.jpg

It worked pretty well. The reason I liked it was because it looked like it was supposed to be on the bike, and had a really clean look. If I ever was going to get another throttle lock, I believe I would get this style.

Brad

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Thanks Mark! I need to lighten up, I suppose. Lol.
Lately I’ve been taking things the wrong way. I’m currently recovering from heart surgery so it’s got me off my game. I better smarten up!

Glenn
I was wondering where you were! I hope you're doing well!!!! Yeah. Don't need anymore stress that's for sure!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts