CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have ever done any long rides you probably found your right hand needing a rest. In the past most of the bikes I rode had a built in electronic cruise control.
The CTX doesn't. I happened to notice a device that seems to have some merit. It is called GoCruise and you can see it on www.2wheelride.com.

The web site only shows the composite unit but there is a newer version made of aluminum, either black or polished aluminum.

The new version has an adjustable tension device, where as the composite unit only has one setting.

I bought the aluminum unit which sells for about $36.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Until recently I never had cruise control. I used a Crampbuster and didn't think anything of it. My new ride has cruise control and it's the bees knees. I don't do much freeway riding but when I do it's fantastic.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bees knees????
That's a new one for me. What's it mean??

Reactions: fjones

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Means it is great.

I had the older Go Cruise and did not care for the way it failed to hold speed. Then they instituted a rubber ring to help and it did some. Maybe the new design was significantly improved.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The manager at the place I bought the device told me he had the old style and it tended to slip because of the lack of pressure being exerted.
The metal one with the adjustable thumbscrew should aleviate the problem.
Guess we'll see.

Reactions: fjones

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Keep us updated, may be worth another try. I had to get a bracket fabricated for the Breakaway Throttle lock for my C14. I have not purchased the unit yet but I have heard great things about the Breakaway, but expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I would not put any throttle lock device on a bike without a clutch lever. Just my 2cents.
I have no experience with the DCT so I cannot comment. Regardless, a lot of guys refuse to use any kind of throttle lock even on the manual bikes. That is the beauty of the Breakaway, as soon as you engage the front brake the lock is AUTOMATICALLY released. WARNING, not cheap but a quality piece.

http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would not put any throttle lock device on a bike without a clutch lever. Just my 2cents.
Although I have a standard shift I think if used properly this device would be suitable for the shiftless unit.
It really doesn't "lock". You can override it any time, there is some friction but it is easily overcome.
If you are riding endless miles on I-5, like you mentioned, using some type of "cruise control" is almost mandatory.
If it isn't for you yet.....just wait.....old age will get you.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I'm resurrecting this year-old thread, so sorry :)

I was reading in search results, post 11 says that there is not a model from BreakAway for the CTX series -- that information is deprecated. There was no product at that time, but there is now. I don't want anyone else reading in search results to be confused by that post because it is no longer accurate.

Anyone else using search and reading in this thread, the part number for the CTX (700 & 1300) as of this writing, is 7CP02. Your best bet is to look directly on the manufacturer's website for the current information.

BrakeAway Motorcycle Cruise Control

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Reactions: JH700CTX

·
Registered
2,857 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm thinking about using the same thing myself, after a bunch of threads on various CC options, this looked like the most painless option.

Heh, if you knew what was behind the bar ends on the CTX you might say otherwise. The weights inside are clipped in with metal fasteners that I swear are not meant to ever be removed. Both of them broke before giving up their death grip on the inside of my handlebars.

Right now I'm thinking of holding out for an Atlas. They just finished a successful kickstarter that I wish I had known about, and the combination of ease of install, removability, and out-of-the-way-ness, seems to be winning. They won't be shipping until june though, at the earliest. ATLAS Throttle Lock

·
Registered
157 Posts
Heh, if you knew what was behind the bar ends on the CTX you might say otherwise. The weights inside are clipped in with metal fasteners that I swear are not meant to ever be removed. Both of them broke before giving up their death grip on the inside of my handlebars.

Right now I'm thinking of holding out for an Atlas. They just finished a successful kickstarter that I wish I had known about, and the combination of ease of install, removability, and out-of-the-way-ness, seems to be winning. They won't be shipping until june though, at the earliest. ATLAS Throttle Lock
The Atlas is now available. Has anybody tried it yet ?

·
Premium Member
199 Posts

My clips came right out. Took me 10 minutes to install!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got one last week - Atlas, that is

I got in at the tail in of the kickstarter. It was already 100% funded but you could still preorder at a slight discount. I just put in on last weekend. It went on pretty easy. It could have been very easy but I had to shave some of the grip material facing the throttle lock to get it to fit without the throttle dragging with the device disengaged. The throttle lock comes with three stick on plastic pads. They are different thicknesses. You pick and apply one to the throttle lock to account for the spacing on your bike. I used the thinnest one, but it wasn't quite thin enough. Over all I'm very pleased with it. It is build like a tank and, as you can see, blends in very well on the bike. There are two very slight cons: 1) it's between my thumb and the start button and 2) the button on the unit itself is fairly hard to press. Neither of these would stop me from getting it again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
If you guys want a "Cruise Control" for your CTX they are available from MC Cruise in Australia. They are good guys to work with and their equipment is well engineered. Self-Installation is not for the inexperienced.

GonzoB and myself each have installed one on our CTX's. I will not use the "Throttle Lock" concept equipment because of the frustration it causes to other vehicle operators. Not to mention that the "Crampbuster" style are downright dangerous - IMHO!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts