CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Read lots of comments here about crash guards. It looks like T-Rex is getting the best reviews. I'm leaning to get the T-Rex crash guards for the front engine and OEM luggage guards. Is the fairing/bike adequately protected in a low speed drop or slide? Thoughts? Looking to buy asap...please post pictures with your recommendations!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have not purchased the T-Rex crash guards but I found them on a website (can't remember which one) and admired them, I really liked the ones that for oem saddle bags, they remind me of the ones for a Goldwing. The pictures I saw appear to be fitted for CTX700 D (fairing), I believe there is a thread on our forum the has discussed this, long story short I think you need to make sure they fit what you have.
Gary

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the T-REx on my 14 faired. The engine guard has a slider that attaches to each side that stands out from the guard itself and takes the brunt of the fall. They will work for a minor drop, but probably not a major wreck. The luggage guards will work great, But if you are wearing soft shoes and happen to catch your self from the bike slipping or something and put your foot out to catch yourself and it flies backward your heel will hit the luggage guard. Have already had that experience, but had on heavy boots, so no injury. Sorry I don't know how to post pictures.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm mainly looking for protection for low speed slides or drop. Nothing can probably stop bike damage in a wreck. Thanks for the warning on the heel hitting the luggage guard. I'll keep this in mind if I end up purchasing these.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
I'm mainly looking for protection for low speed slides or drop. Nothing can probably stop bike damage in a wreck. Thanks for the warning on the heel hitting the luggage guard. I'll keep this in mind if I end up purchasing these.
Keep in mind that the T-Rex luggage guards are designed to work with the OEM bags. Not sure if they'll clear any of the bags from other suppliers.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Keep in mind that the T-Rex luggage guards are designed to work with the OEM bags. Not sure if they'll clear any of the bags from other suppliers.
Nope. Just the OEM. The handle bars, pegs/floorboards, saddlebags and fairing will contact the ground long before the crash bars will. Its really a waste of money unless you looking to mount accessories to the bike. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I have the rear bag guards on my CTX700. in this picture you can see it right behind my wife's boot. It is not in the way. It is not even noticeable. I actually bought them to put on my red 2014. I had the day off on November 30th, 2017 and was gonna install them. I wrecked on the way home from work on Wednesday November 29th. Bike totaled. I am sure i would have not sustained as much damage to my left leg and knee if i had them on. So, when i got my new, Blue 2015 CTX this past September, I put them on. I mean, they were brand new and in my garage!
This is the best bike i've ever had. My wife loves it.
The seat height is perfect for two-up riding. just a great, easy going platform. We go everywhere every weekend.
Tons of fun. Great crash bars. I hope you can see them. They even have these skid plates. nice touch, but I'll never scrape them on the ground. I don't ride that way any longer.
Ross

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey All,

Read lots of comments here about crash guards. It looks like T-Rex is getting the best reviews. I'm leaning to get the T-Rex crash guards for the front engine and OEM luggage guards. Is the fairing/bike adequately protected in a low speed drop or slide? Thoughts? Looking to buy asap...please post pictures with your recommendations!
My 2nd post and I am going to complain. Just installed the T-Rex engine guards. The right peg attachment wasn't at the proper bend. ( Good thing I have a vice) I got the nut on and it stripped. I would also suggest putting both pieces together before starting the 2nd side.
I don't think I would buy them again. For $180 I I was expecting more. One side is almost touching the fairing and the other
is one is where I expected it to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up purchasing the T-Rex engine and luggage guards and just installed the engine guards so far. I completely agree with you CmdrHAP! The right and left engine guards did not align properly and the holes where they connect together would not let the screws through. I had to expand the existing holes for the screws to fit. I was very disappointed and probably would not buy them again. Also, these will only guard the engine as the name states. It looks like the fairing and foot brake extend further out and will still hit the ground if it fell. I'll eventually get to installing the luggage guards since I have the OEM saddle bags.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
T. Rex engine guards are not much help on the fairing model except to mount things on. The T. Rex saddlebag guards look like they will do a great job put them on my wife's bike.

Good luck. Bryan

·
Registered
817 Posts
I will not spend the money for them.
It is just another expense when something happens and they also have to be replaced.
More for looks than protection from what I can tell.

Doug

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just installed T-Rex luggage guards on my N model with JFC Brackets and after market saddlebags

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
...The luggage guards will work great, But if you are wearing soft shoes and happen to catch your self from the bike slipping or something and put your foot out to catch yourself and it flies backward your heel will hit the luggage guard. Have already had that experience, but had on heavy boots, so no injury.
Thanks for telling me about the heel hitting against/under the luggage guard.... Reminded me that I had this happen to me on another bike and nearly pulled me off bike, not to mention the tendon pain. This let me know to pass on this add-on..

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I got a chance to install my Fehling crash guards today. It took about three hours. Would have been shorter if not for my hand arthritis. Everything fit perfectly. I really like the looks it adds to the Silver Bullet. Took a short ride to be sure I didn't foul anything up.;)

Attachments

Reactions: dgall

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Interesting enough I found that the floor boards work to keep the engine and bike off the pavement.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Interesting enough I found that the floor boards work to keep the engine and bike off the pavement.
Ok, but for us old fogies, it's more about the staaahhyl than the substance.:cool::D Loving the look of crash bars..

Ride safe

·
Registered
839 Posts
Ok, but for us old fogies, it's more about the staaahhyl than the substance.:cool::D Loving the look of crash bars..

Ride safe
I was considering them for adding some additional wind protection with some additional plexi.

Where did you order and how long to receive?

Reactions: Professor*76

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I was considering them for adding some additional wind protection with some additional plexi.

Where did you order and how long to receive?
I was also thinking of adding some canvas or vinyl to provide some lower wind protection.
They are from Fehling out of Germany. Took about a month to receive, since non- critical items sat at the airports a while. Excellent quality though. Fits the bike like a glove, and easy to install.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I was also thinking of adding some canvas or vinyl to provide some lower wind protection.
They are from Fehling out of Germany. Took about a month to receive, since non- critical items sat at the airports a while. Excellent quality though. Fits the bike like a glove, and easy to install.
I had a set of vinyl "crash bar chaps" from my old Victory Cross Roads. I cut them down to fit the Fehling bars on my CTX700. Not even remotely stylish, but I don't care because I love the wind protection. I only remove them on the very hottest summer days.

Reactions: Professor*76
1 - 20 of 20 Posts