CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone added crash bars or frame sliders to their CTX?

Reactions: gregsfc

·
Banned
463 Posts
I'd probably get crashbars if I found anyone made them.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
MC ENTERPRISES
835 Flynn Road
Camarillo, California 93012

Monday-Thursday
6:30am to 5:00pm PST

866.886.2368 (toll free)

Ryan worked with us on the Zggtr forum and developed great Canyon Cages for the C14. Outstanding product. He makes bars for the police bikes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I will call MC Enterprises Monday and ask!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Since the CTX has the same engine block as the NC700; can anyone speculate if the NC700 crash bars made by givi or sw-motech fit the CTX?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Since the CTX has the same engine block as the NC700; can anyone speculate if the NC700 crash bars made by givi or sw-motech fit the CTX?
I don't have a CTX yet, but the pictures look to me like they just might work.

Pathfinder

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The problem lies with the placement of the forward pegs. Engine guards on the NC700 would interfere with the angle the legs have to follow for proper peg placement. Another problem deals with all the plastic lower fairings and Tupperware. You would have to remove them to install especially on the fairing model. I did a lot of research on this early on and was able to secure a set from a friend to try to modify it to fit. No deal. Ultimately came to the conclusion the best engine guard was the front pegs. They actually do a great job of protecting the engine with their forward position. Its possible they could be knocked off in a catastrophic wreck but then even engine guards would not help.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The problem lies with the placement of the forward pegs. Engine guards on the NC700 would interfere with the angle the legs have to follow for proper peg placement. Another problem deals with all the plastic lower fairings and Tupperware. You would have to remove them to install especially on the fairing model. I did a lot of research on this early on and was able to secure a set from a friend to try to modify it to fit. No deal. Ultimately came to the conclusion the best engine guard was the front pegs. They actually do a great job of protecting the engine with their forward position. Its possible they could be knocked off in a catastrophic wreck but then even engine guards would not help.
Agreed...my Kuryakyn floor boards took most of the hit when I went down. The fairing got very little damage. The color matched panel on the saddlebag took a good scuff too but the bag itself was fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I see; I laid the bike down once already but very gently thank God and was surprised to find no damage. The footpegs really did prevent any contact with the ground. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
329 Posts
forgot to complete my earlier comment

I called MC Enterprises and they don't make one for our bike and not interested in experimenting at this time. I believe a CTX owner down near their shop might be able to persuade them to try it.

I just want engine guards to rest my feet on long trips. I believe a simple extended peg from from each side of frame up high would be sufficient.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I purchased some universal clamps for auxiliary lighting with the intention of using the frame tubes for mounts. The problem I found is the frame bars are not just round they have gussets or strengthening on the back keeping clamps from grabbing. I am not saying it is impossible, jus may be difficult.

·
Registered
289 Posts
With the fairing and, in my case, the saddle bags being so much wider than where the engine is tucked in, I'm going to look into something that will hit before the edge of the fairing makes ground contact. I believe the ST1100 had something like that? The floorboard seemed to keep a good portion of my bike from hitting the ground. That may be another area to look at for some sort of crash guard.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
With the fairing and, in my case, the saddle bags being so much wider than where the engine is tucked in, I'm going to look into something that will hit before the edge of the fairing makes ground contact. I believe the ST1100 had something like that? The floorboard seemed to keep a good portion of my bike from hitting the ground. That may be another area to look at for some sort of crash guard.
Good luck and as always, let us know what you find. This has been a hot topic off and on for a while and lots of members would like to install better protection. Completely surprised no one has been able to come up with something yet. We are kinda limited do to the frame design.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I'm more concerned about protecting my legs in a sideways impact.
Unfortunately nothing will do that except driving a caged vehicle. That's why it's absolutely critical to stay aware of your surroundings and use escape routes when ever necessary. You can never get complacent when riding. Wearing bright clothing instead of the customary black is a cheap way to ensure your visible.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow. JFC just gave the simples, most basic essential advice you can rely on. HI VIZ is the way to go for safety when you have no shields (cage) to protect you. Motorcycle armor has advanced greatly.

Reactions: Malcolm Sell

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm more concerned about protecting my legs in a sideways impact.
Funny, that thought never occurred to me. My fear has always been getting trapped under the bike...so good riding boots with ankle crush protection, riding pants with knee and hip armor, and a good jacket. I just added a turtle shell(chest and spine protection) to go under my jacket.

I guess I figured if i got tboned by a car, I'd never have time to react anyway.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts