CTX 700 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow, it is amazing how a little topic start with the ease of use of the Mission gaiters generates 80 comments on covid. I got a couple of the Mission gaiters after seeing this and really like them. I KNOW that gaiters are now rated as "worse than nothing at all", but like the original OP I like to have it on as something easy to just pull up as you enter a coffee shop or market that requires them. I even had my wife cut one in half to make 2 easy gaiters for me. Every time I used one I kept thinking "this fabric sure seems familiar to me". Then it hit me one day. Now when I run low on the Mission gaiters before laundry time, I just head to my underwear drawer (see photo). And the best thing about using these is, if you are out and about and think the gaiter got contaminated by covid, you can just switch to the other leg. Underwear Mask.JPG

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
There was a comparative test run in England, reported by the BBC, of the different face coverings. What I remember from the report, was the gaiters were so bad, it was as wearing nothing at all. I too was intrigued by the form factor and concept, and was just about to click "buy", until I saw the report.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I read an article that some outfit was testing gaiters and condemed them as usless. Within a week I read another article that the testing by the original company was done on only 1type of gaiter. Multiple types of gaiters were then tested and the results were positive on a lot of gaiters but not all. It was not pubished which brands were better than others. The testers then said that any gaiter was better than wearing nothing. I have no idea whether the one I wear is up to snuff or not, but I continue to wear it whenever I leave home so possibly I don't spread as much to others. I am not really conserned about getting it because so far I have not had a positive test and I must get tested every 2 weeks to enable me to visit my wife in the nursing home. We should all think about others around us. My life really hasn't changed except that I try to social distance as much as I can. I still ride a lot, over 14000 klm so far this year and stopping at take out places and gas stations a lot but with a little common sense social distancing is easy and I carry a small spray bottle of alcohol based sanitizer with me. Hope everyone stays safe.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi TIP; I hope things stay well where you are. My mother, in Brantford, is in lockdown again as a staff member just tested positive. apparently person worked in several areas, so will be very interested in retest results for all staff. hope things are not spreading with good care measures being taken.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hi TIP; I hope things stay well where you are. My mother, in Brantford, is in lockdown again as a staff member just tested positive. apparently person worked in several areas, so will be very interested in retest results for all staff. hope things are not spreading with good care measures being taken.
Hope you are ok. Received a report out of Ontario. 19 month backlog for surgyery, 25% of the Covid cases are health care workers. I need to get up to Canada but won't go till sanity returns. Don't want a month of my life in quarantine. 14 days there, and 14 days back here.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hope you are ok. Received a report out of Ontario. 19 month backlog for surgyery, 25% of the Covid cases are health care workers. I need to get up to Canada but won't go till sanity returns. Don't want a month of my life in quarantine. 14 days there, and 14 days back here.
I am. Thank you. This is my mothers 4th lockdown. She is 88 and it is rough on her, especially with my dad dying in January. She recognized the reasons for the lockdown and that it to protect her and other residents as well as staff.

Most surgeries were cancelled except for emergencies. Unfortuanately, some cancer surgeries were cancelled which can be problematic: keep you safe from covid but not able to fight the cancer that can kill you. I think all the Ottawa hospitals are back to almost full surgical schedule. Getting PPE remains a problem, although 3M announced it will be expanding a local factory in Brockville to produce N95 masks. Getting product out of China is a toss up, while Britain is not exporting any made there, and there was the issue where Trump initially blocked products being made despite contracts and the fact that the masks were being made for the entire continent in the US. Treaties dont seem to matter much, as per recent imposition of Aluminum tax that will cost Americans money and Canadians jobs and it is not clear what the benefit is, although the national threat comments are pure BS. Consider the source...
While the borders are closed to most driving across, people can still flly anywhere they want. You have the integrity to actually quarantine if you were to travel; many don't and the tracking is not as stringent as it should be for those crossing the border. Then we have the Americans who say they are driving to Alaska but seem to all show up in Banff??? Can be a very expensive trip.
Do you have family up here?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I am. Thank you. This is my mothers 4th lockdown. She is 88 and it is rough on her, especially with my dad dying in January. She recognized the reasons for the lockdown and that it to protect her and other residents as well as staff.

Most surgeries were cancelled except for emergencies. Unfortuanately, some cancer surgeries were cancelled which can be problematic: keep you safe from covid but not able to fight the cancer that can kill you. I think all the Ottawa hospitals are back to almost full surgical schedule. Getting PPE remains a problem, although 3M announced it will be expanding a local factory in Brockville to produce N95 masks. Getting product out of China is a toss up, while Britain is not exporting any made there, and there was the issue where Trump initially blocked products being made despite contracts and the fact that the masks were being made for the entire continent in the US. Treaties dont seem to matter much, as per recent imposition of Aluminum tax that will cost Americans money and Canadians jobs and it is not clear what the benefit is, although the national threat comments are pure BS. Consider the source...
While the borders are closed to most driving across, people can still flly anywhere they want. You have the integrity to actually quarantine if you were to travel; many don't and the tracking is not as stringent as it should be for those crossing the border. Then we have the Americans who say they are driving to Alaska but seem to all show up in Banff??? Can be a very expensive trip.
Do you have family up here?
I have some nephews and cousins in Toronto. Had a mother but she died this month in Toronto. Apparently the entire family was in quarantine, and the gov't checked on them daily. I like going to Yorkdale and the Pacific Plaza on Steeles if I am up there. There was someone recently who got caught saying they were driving to Alaska and ended up being fined some 500+K and 6 months in jail. Not worth the effort.

·
Registered
238 Posts
"I don't think anyone has said masks will STOP the virus; they are one of the key tools to slow down its spread. "

WHY?
I've heard that 60-80% of the population will get it.
If we all believe that its contagious, and we believe that almost all of us will get it, and we know that we cant just stop it, why are we trying to prolong our lock down, mask wearing, non social, hide the sky is falling living????

Yes protect the old and frail and let the rest of us go back to normal!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
"I don't think anyone has said masks will STOP the virus; they are one of the key tools to slow down its spread. "

WHY?
If we all believe that its contagious, and we believe that almost all of us will get it, and we know that we cant just stop it, why are we trying to prolong our lock down, mask wearing, non social, hide the sky is falling living????

The game is afoot. Nothing has made sense since this started. Constant contradictions and faulty research, and the list goes on.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

WHY?

Many of us will get infected.
If too many get infected at the same time, in addition to all the other things going on (MVAs, seasonal flu, daily life and bad things that happen to people), hospitals can get overwhelmed and that is when things get bad.
The reason people are asked to wear masks is to limit possible spread from people who may have been infected and not know it> it is to protect others, not the wearer.
Check the stats: it is not the old and frail that are mostly getting sick these days: it is people under 40 who are acting socially irresponsibly, gathering in large numbers without any physical distancing and without wearing masks.
There is no "going back to normal". LIke it or not, this is the new normal for the forseeable future.

One book I am reading is Influenza: The Hundred-year Hut to cure the Deadliest Disease in History by Dr. Jeremy Brown. this book talks about what we are currently facing and compares it with the Spanish flu from 1918 (which by the way was not started in Spain..). There are lots of similarities, including the promotion of malaria medicines that don't affect the vaccine. we have a lot to learn from the past, and what we failed to learn from the past.

I am also reading Shake Hands with the Devil by Lt. Gen Romeo Dallaire about the genocide in Rwanda. The ultimate in stories about a lack of social responsibility on a world wide scale that allowed genocide to occur. I'm not saying the two are equal, but the issue of social responsibility is a sliding scale: if we can't make small measures that have little or no negative impact on us, how can we be expected to take on larger responsibilities in our spheres of influence, be it in a home, a workplace, a school, a city, a country or the world?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Again, yes the young get it and get over it. Its the old and frail that cant survive it.
SO the young are gathering and getting it and for the most part not getting affected by it.
In my state the infected daily numbers are close to a thousand, YET the deaths for the day are in the single digits!!
Getting it doesnt mean anything!
KEEP the old and frail locked up and away from the rest of us, that is the solution!
Yes we are tired of this lock down, keep your distance crap.
Tons of businesses can not and will not survive.

Where do you think the govt gets all the money they are handing out in unemployment and the like??
We are going to be taxed up the a## and this will affect our economy for many, many years!
But hey if you'd like you retirement to be staying in your trailer drinking soup - keep believing the media crap!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had it. 53, good health and it was a cold with really odd fatigue. Walk in the park, which is the case for the vast majority of those who contract the disease; which is simply inarguable. For the record, I do still wear a mask. To CTX docs point, and drawing on Phil's social responsibility point...to whom does social responsibility apply? Doc's position is socially responsible with very positive strategic impacts for the largest segment of the population. What socially responsible behavior should the at risk population adopt? Nothing? Sequestration indefinitely? By the way, I know where I contracted it, the mask mandated City of Gainesville, Florida. So, though there may be benefits of masks...they did squadoosh for me.

·
Registered
238 Posts
So got it got over it and done.
That's all I'm asking!
A week or two ago a college had students move in. There was a number of cases so the college closed and sent every student home!!!
What a good way to spread the virus!!!! Better would be to keep the kids there for a month or two and let everyone get it!

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
162 Posts
Go suck on a hospital door knob and get it over with then. With any luck we won’t have to hear you complain anymore.

·
Registered
665 Posts
:rolleyes: C'mon man....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Go suck on a hospital door knob and get it over with then. With any luck we won’t have to hear you complain anymore.
Really completely uncalled for and way out of line. Because someone has a different opinion than yours you go that low? Do you only want others to agree with you?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I had it. 53, good health and it was a cold with really odd fatigue. Walk in the park, which is the case for the vast majority of those who contract the disease; which is simply inarguable. For the record, I do still wear a mask. To CTX docs point, and drawing on Phil's social responsibility point...to whom does social responsibility apply? Doc's position is socially responsible with very positive strategic impacts for the largest segment of the population. What socially responsible behavior should the at risk population adopt? Nothing? Sequestration indefinitely? By the way, I know where I contracted it, the mask mandated City of Gainesville, Florida. So, though there may be benefits of masks...they did squadoosh for me.
Mike: you may have had a mild case, but to say that it is a walk in the park is not accurate. Reading comments from chief medical officers of health across north america and elsewhere is showing that not to be the case. Younger people (those children under 40 or 30, not those approaching middle age in their late 50's...) are taking longer to recover, and ongoing physical problems are lasting longer, and having inflamation of blood vessels and damage to heart and other organs, not just lungs.
This will pass, but it won't be on the agenda of politicians. It will likely be having a significant impact for more than a year or so: only time will tell.
Masks have benefits in limiting the spread, not protecting the wearer. Then you have all the other protocols that are likely not being followed if masks are not being worn (not referring to you, but those who likely helped spread it to you...).
Statistics are becoming less meaningful. I dont know anyone who has confidence in the numbers coming out of China; then again, the numbers in the US have also become less credible once the White House began to take over from CDC and started "managing" the numbers.
Even with the flawed numbers, ever wonder what it is about the nature of the US that is causing it to be far and away the highest centre of infection (totalitarian states such as China And Russia don't count...unless you want to count the number of people who go against the dictators and end up dead)? Numbers are going to increase with schools back, but how society reacts to increases will have impact on longer terms results.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
162 Posts
Really completely uncalled for and way out of line. Because someone has a different opinion than yours you go that low? Do you only want others to agree with you?
It’s not a matter of agreement. It’s either acknowledging facts or ignoring them. Ignoring facts is what is killing hundreds of thousands of people and leaving millions more with health problems. And don’t forget, the people that don’t get it still suffer when someone they know and love dies from it or has to try to recover from it. It’s a communicable disease and I’m tired of people ignoring the facts of the situation and putting more people at risk and therefore actually killing more people. I just saw an article today that said Sturgis, which had an estimated 500,000 attendees, has spawned 250,000 cases, and if I recall correctly the first death was today. First death. There will be more, count on it. And it’s because people are ignoring facts and getting together in close unprotected groups. And someone spouting off about how we are all gonna get it and it’s not that bad is delusional. Delusional and dangerous. So if he actually wants to get it and get over it, it’s pretty simple: go down to the closest hospital and hang out. Lick a doorknob or 20. And then go home and stay there and we’ll just see how long it takes for your neighbor to notice the bad smell coming from your home. But don’t force your erroneous ignorance onto other people. Don’t get other people killed because you were dumb.

81 - 100 of 151 Posts