CTX 700 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My experience with Continental tyres has not been so positive. I fitted Continental (twisties ?) to my AN650. The rear tyre developed fractures in the rubber within a thousand km. I had it replaced for free. Within two thousand km both front and rear tyres showed the same cracks - deep enough to be a serious blow-out risk. I had them both replaced. I wrote to Continental who did not reply. I lodged a formal complaint with Consumer Affairs in Australia so that if the tyres did kill anyone Continental could not deny that they'd been warned. Both front and rear tyres developed the fractures within 24 hours of riding. I was on a road trip and checked the tyres hourly. The only "response" from Continental was their website changed from recommending the tyres from "big scooters" to "scooters under 500cc". Personally I wouldn't fit them to a wheelbarrow.
Any chance you got old stock tires?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've always had great luck with AVON tires. Used them on 6-8 bikes. Great ride, great handling wet or dry, good tread life. AVON makes a special tire for several bikes, two being the Gold Wing & the Harley's. Don't know if they have a special pair for the CTX or not. EZ to find out, call AVON USA 800#, talk to a tech rep & he'll give you the AVON part number. I've found Dennis Kirk has always and the best prices on tires & batteries. I've been using beads for over 10 years, never a problem. Smooth as silk at speeds over 100mph. 1oz in the front 2oz in the rear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've always had great luck with AVON tires. Used them on 6-8 bikes. Great ride, great handling wet or dry, good tread life. AVON makes a special tire for several bikes, two being the Gold Wing & the Harley's. Don't know if they have a special pair for the CTX or not. EZ to find out, call AVON USA 800#, talk to a tech rep & he'll give you the AVON part number. I've found Dennis Kirk has always and the best prices on tires & batteries. I've been using beads for over 10 years, never a problem. Smooth as silk at speeds over 100mph. 1oz in the front 2oz in the rear.
I just put Avon ultra sport tires on my ctx 1000 miles ago they still look new great on wet also

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had a chance today to put 150 miles on my new front and back tires. Thread depth on front new 6/32 and the rear is 8/32. Now I have something I can look back too as I get more miles on them. First impression is man I love these tires. I can only compare them to the OEM Metzeler tires. They ride real nice and seems to stick well in curves. Run some pretty good curves today. I will probably will not give a wet review is I tend to stay inside during the rain unless I get caught in it. Will try and give reviews on how well the work once I get a few thousand miles on them and how well they last. I know some of the sport bike riders had problems with them turning loose under hard acceleration and hard curves. Well I don't think with the 700 either of these will be a issue. We just don't lean as much as the sports bike because of our lean angle clearance. I'm sure they probably will not last as long as the Michelin tires, but 2 of these are almost the price of 1 Michelin. If these does well on mileage I will go back to them,if not time to try something different. I tend to not get the mileage on my tires as the rest do being our roads are so abrasive here in Mississippi. That grey slag rock kills tires. But as for now I will give it a 10 out of 10. Miles on tire may change my rating. I also like how the bike seems so responsive now. Of course being I just too the car tire off would make any tire responsive:D
David

David
Hi David...thanks for your review. Would you give me your now long-term opinion of Continental Conti vs. the original and/or Michelins? Larry

·
Registered
734 Posts
David checked out a while ago.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts