CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a chance today to put 150 miles on my new front and back tires. Thread depth on front new 6/32 and the rear is 8/32. Now I have something I can look back too as I get more miles on them. First impression is man I love these tires. I can only compare them to the OEM Metzeler tires. They ride real nice and seems to stick well in curves. Run some pretty good curves today. I will probably will not give a wet review is I tend to stay inside during the rain unless I get caught in it. Will try and give reviews on how well the work once I get a few thousand miles on them and how well they last. I know some of the sport bike riders had problems with them turning loose under hard acceleration and hard curves. Well I don't think with the 700 either of these will be a issue. We just don't lean as much as the sports bike because of our lean angle clearance. I'm sure they probably will not last as long as the Michelin tires, but 2 of these are almost the price of 1 Michelin. If these does well on mileage I will go back to them,if not time to try something different. I tend to not get the mileage on my tires as the rest do being our roads are so abrasive here in Mississippi. That grey slag rock kills tires. But as for now I will give it a 10 out of 10. Miles on tire may change my rating. I also like how the bike seems so responsive now. Of course being I just too the car tire off would make any tire responsive:D
David

David

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Had a chance today to put 150 miles on my new front and back tires. Thread depth on front new 6/32 and the rear is 8/32. Now I have something I can look back too as I get more miles on them. First impression is man I love these tires. I can only compare them to the OEM Metzeler tires. They ride real nice and seems to stick well in curves. Run some pretty good curves today. I will probably will not give a wet review is I tend to stay inside during the rain unless I get caught in it. Will try and give reviews on how well the work once I get a few thousand miles on them and how well they last. I know some of the sport bike riders had problems with them turning loose under hard acceleration and hard curves. Well I don't think with the 700 either of these will be a issue. We just don't lean as much as the sports bike because of our lean angle clearance. I'm sure they probably will not last as long as the Michelin tires, but 2 of these are almost the price of 1 Michelin. If these does well on mileage I will go back to them,if not time to try something different. I tend to not get the mileage on my tires as the rest do being our roads are so abrasive here in Mississippi. That grey slag rock kills tires. But as for now I will give it a 10 out of 10. Miles on tire may change my rating. I also like how the bike seems so responsive now. Of course being I just too the car tire off would make any tire responsive/forum/images/CTX700Forum_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
David

David
Thanks David for the review.... I’m with you about the all-weather reviews.... If I ever did a tire review, it would be “ the tire performs well in the dry between 60 and 80 degrees with stops every 50 miles.....”

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I put a Conti on my Harley on the back last time so far it has done good on wet And dry payment. Sucks on sand though but what doesn't. 😏 I have about 4000 k on it wearing pretty well.🤗

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Only put them on about 1k miles ago. We'll see how they hold up.
You boyz need to ride more..... my tires are wearing fast!!!
Signed,
Brad “It’s all about me” Bachelor

Reactions: david1954

·
Registered
188 Posts
Conti's scary

Had a chance today to put 150 miles on my new front and back tires. Thread depth on front new 6/32 and the rear is 8/32. Now I have something I can look back too as I get more miles on them. First impression is man I love these tires. I can only compare them to the OEM Metzeler tires. They ride real nice and seems to stick well in curves. Run some pretty good curves today. I will probably will not give a wet review is I tend to stay inside during the rain unless I get caught in it. Will try and give reviews on how well the work once I get a few thousand miles on them and how well they last. I know some of the sport bike riders had problems with them turning loose under hard acceleration and hard curves. Well I don't think with the 700 either of these will be a issue. We just don't lean as much as the sports bike because of our lean angle clearance. I'm sure they probably will not last as long as the Michelin tires, but 2 of these are almost the price of 1 Michelin. If these does well on mileage I will go back to them,if not time to try something different. I tend to not get the mileage on my tires as the rest do being our roads are so abrasive here in Mississippi. That grey slag rock kills tires. But as for now I will give it a 10 out of 10. Miles on tire may change my rating. I also like how the bike seems so responsive now. Of course being I just too the car tire off would make any tire responsive:D
David

David
My experience with Continental tyres has not been so positive. I fitted Continental (twisties ?) to my AN650. The rear tyre developed fractures in the rubber within a thousand km. I had it replaced for free. Within two thousand km both front and rear tyres showed the same cracks - deep enough to be a serious blow-out risk. I had them both replaced. I wrote to Continental who did not reply. I lodged a formal complaint with Consumer Affairs in Australia so that if the tyres did kill anyone Continental could not deny that they'd been warned. Both front and rear tyres developed the fractures within 24 hours of riding. I was on a road trip and checked the tyres hourly. The only "response" from Continental was their website changed from recommending the tyres from "big scooters" to "scooters under 500cc". Personally I wouldn't fit them to a wheelbarrow.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Superb tires, the best bang for the buck tires out there!

I have 3 bikes currently with them on there and I have 2 more bikes that will be equipped with them soon as well. Never had a problem with the tires and I have been running them for many years and in most to all climates and terrains on various bikes. I won't buy anything else unless it is a specialty tire for a special condition.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
My experience with Continental tyres has not been so positive. I fitted Continental (twisties ?) to my AN650. The rear tyre developed fractures in the rubber within a thousand km. I had it replaced for free. Within two thousand km both front and rear tyres showed the same cracks - deep enough to be a serious blow-out risk. I had them both replaced. I wrote to Continental who did not reply. I lodged a formal complaint with Consumer Affairs in Australia so that if the tyres did kill anyone Continental could not deny that they'd been warned. Both front and rear tyres developed the fractures within 24 hours of riding. I was on a road trip and checked the tyres hourly. The only "response" from Continental was their website changed from recommending the tyres from "big scooters" to "scooters under 500cc". Personally I wouldn't fit them to a wheelbarrow.
This sounds like a service date expiration issue. All tires come with a date of manufacture. The expiration date is generally 5 years from the manufacturing date.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1000 mile up date

David

David
Tires are doing great. The front and rear both wore 1/32 in the first 1000 miles. Still haven't tired them in wet conditions but running back roads they hold the road very well. I'm running 42 psi front and back. neither tire has any signs of cupping at all. Hope they slow down on the wear. At this rate about 6000 miles may be toast. I really like the price of the tires, but if they don't hold up what money have I saved in the long run. If I get at least 10000 miles out of them I will buy another set, if not looks like Michelin in the future.
David

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I was wondering if you were riding lately. I’ve got about 600 miles in this week. Pretty good riding here lately. A little wind... not too bad though.
I appreciate your dry weather reviews.... Since I can pick and choose, if the tires never see wet again, that would be alright with me.....

Reactions: david1954

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was wondering if you were riding lately. I’ve got about 600 miles in this week. Pretty good riding here lately. A little wind... not too bad though.
I appreciate your dry weather reviews.... Since I can pick and choose, if the tires never see wet again, that would be alright with me.....
Took me 12 days to get that and 2 of the 12 was on Sunday, I don't usually ride for pleasure on Sundays, and 3 days of rain. But burnt the road up when I had a chance. Put in about 250 miles today and was beautiful weather. I will ride tomorrow after church to visit a buddy in the Nursing Home. Had a stroke and I try to get by there every week to see him.
David

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Took me 12 days to get that and 2 of the 12 was on Sunday, I don't usually ride for pleasure on Sundays, and 3 days of rain. But burnt the road up when I had a chance. Put in about 250 miles today and was beautiful weather. I will ride tomorrow after church to visit a buddy in the Nursing Home. Had a stroke and I try to get by there every week to see him.
David
Enjoy the ride.... we have grand kids today.....no riding for me, it takes two of us to keep up.....
250 miles a day is a good number for me. Much more than that and it seems like work. If my wife goes along, it’s more around 100 miles.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Enjoy the ride.... we have grand kids today.....no riding for me, it takes two of us to keep up.....
250 miles a day is a good number for me. Much more than that and it seems like work. If my wife goes along, it’s more around 100 miles.
I wished our lived closer to us. Closest is 4 1/2 hrs away and other about 11 to 12 hrs away. I don't mind giving up riding for the grand kids. Got to call Seth net week and see about the seat he is going to build for me. Butt was hurting yesterday when I shut it down.

David

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Tires are doing great. The front and rear both wore 1/32 in the first 1000 miles. Still haven't tired them in wet conditions but running back roads they hold the road very well. I'm running 42 psi front and back. neither tire has any signs of cupping at all. Hope they slow down on the wear. At this rate about 6000 miles may be toast. I really like the price of the tires, but if they don't hold up what money have I saved in the long run. If I get at least 10000 miles out of them I will buy another set, if not looks like Michelin in the future.
David
Even at a cheaper price the 6000 mile (estimated) life would be a deal breaker for me. I'm getting about 20k miles out of the Pilot Road 4's (and that's 7 tires front and rear - not a guess. Number 8 is at 19k and looking a bit tired). Counting the price of installation and the inconvenience of taking a wheel (or the whole bike) to the dealer, I'll stick with the longer wearing tire. Conti's are good tires and may be worth buying if you are a low mileage rider, or can mount and balance yourself.

Reactions: Vulcan Mediator

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Even at a cheaper price the 6000 mile (estimated) life would be a deal breaker for me. I'm getting about 20k miles out of the Pilot Road 4's (and that's 7 tires front and rear - not a guess. Number 8 is at 19k and looking a bit tired). Counting the price of installation and the inconvenience of taking a wheel (or the whole bike) to the dealer, I'll stick with the longer wearing tire. Conti's are good tires and may be worth buying if you are a low mileage rider, or can mount and balance yourself.
That's why I'm keeping a eye on the wear of the tire. I do my own tire changes so I don't figure that in my price saved. But if you figure how long the tire last vs price where you think you save money is not there. Once I finish these out will try a set of the Michelin tires. Tires seems to not last me long with my riding style and our very abrasive roads.
David

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Around 2100 mile review on just the front. Back had to be replaced due to nail. Anyway running 42 lbs in it. Started out with 6/32 thread depth and have 5/32 on it now. Tire is looking good no signs of cupping and keeping a nice round profile. Still real happy with it. Will wait till I get around 5000 miles before doing another review on the tire. I know here in Mississippi the roads eats tires fast, so I hope to get at least 12000 out of the tire. Only time and miles will tell.
David

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I'm right at 10k on my rear tire on my Harley Ultra will be over that by Thursday new comander ll will be in then. The Conti tourer did it's job. The best I've ever got out of rear tire was the Dunlop American Elite. I got a nail in it at 14k with 3/32nd left on it. The best I usely get on a tire is 10 to 12k. I keep saddlebags always loaded rain suits extra gear oh yes it's a Harley so I do carry a tool bag 😏 and jumper cables I guess I need to trade them for a new style jump box though that way I can join the 22nd century or whatever century you want to call it.😏

Bryan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts