CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I have a 2014 CB1100 and an 09 Shadow Spirit 750. Been thinking about replacing the Shadow with a fuel injected bike, possibly a 2014 CTX700N.

The specific bike I'm looking at has 22k miles, the factory top box and hard side bags, and floor boards.

I've read that the bearings can be an issue with the CTX, as well as the display and electronics.

Other than tires and chain, I'd appreciate tips on what to look for and what to watch out for.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
There is no "factory top box" for this bike.

Bad/old batteries are the leading culprit for the electronic issues in the DCT; the system is very sensitive to low power. Make sure the battery is no more than 2 years old (might be willing to accept a 3 year old battery if garage kept and on a tender when not in use).

Display is generally pretty solid. There are some isolated issues.

Find out when all the fluids were last changed.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Motorcycles are no different than cars. You can get a lemon, someone else's damage or lack of maintenance, or things break overtime. The fact is this is an excellent bike and pretty durable. Yes some had issues with a shift pin, but as percentage of total bikes made, pretty insignificant. Not aware of bearing problems, but explorecaves is correct that battery needs to be strong, but that's a cheap normal fix for any vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no "factory top box" for this bike.

Bad/old batteries are the leading culprit for the electronic issues in the DCT; the system is very sensitive to low power. Make sure the battery is no more than 2 years old (might be willing to accept a 3 year old battery if garage kept and on a tender when not in use).

Display is generally pretty solid. There are some isolated issues.

Find out when all the fluids were last changed.
Thank you for your reply. Currently it has a top box with a Honda logo on it that seems perfectly color matched to the bags and the rest of the bike.

It also has the Kuryaken floorboards and a taller windshield, so it appears to have been well loved.

The current owner put a shorty pipe on her, but says he still has the original. I think the bags, box, boards, and windscreen are all from the first owner.

I would be owner number three.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts