CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my '15 CTX700, and think the DCT is a great way to shift. If you're looking for a middleweight bike with a DCT, and a reasonable seat height, there hasn't been much competition, and Honda hasn't even given us the 750 engine that went into the NC700. The Honda website lists says that our upgrade option is a Goldwing. Not for me, the weight is a no-go for me, let alone the price.

I was intrigued when I first heard about the CMX1100 (Rebel 1100), and that it is available with DCT. I started shifting manual clutch motorcycles almost 50 years ago, and shifting with left hand on the clutch, right on the throttle, and left toe on the gear shift is not much of a concern, but a flick of my left index finger or left thumb is preferable.

If I was a decade or so younger I'd probably just stick with the CTX, but I'm not, so I picked up my Rebel 1100 last Tuesday. If anyone is interested I'll post my impressions of the pros and cons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really like my '15 CTX700, and think the DCT is a great way to shift. If you're looking for a middleweight bike with a DCT, and a reasonable seat height, there hasn't been much competition, and Honda hasn't even given us the 750 engine that went into the NC700. The Honda website lists says that our upgrade option is a Goldwing. Not for me, the weight is a no-go for me, let alone the price.

I was intrigued when I first heard about the CMX1100 (Rebel 1100), and that it is available with DCT. I started shifting manual clutch motorcycles almost 50 years ago, and shifting with left hand on the clutch, right on the throttle, and left toe on the gear shift is not much of a concern, but a flick of my left index finger or left thumb is preferable.

If I was a decade or so younger I'd probably just stick with the CTX, but I'm not, so I picked up my Rebel 1100 last Tuesday. If anyone is interested I'll post my impressions of the pros and cons.
What do think about the new 1000? Pictures please and the pros and cons?

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
452 Posts
I've heard the 1100 isn't exactly built for us 6-foot-plus riders. Would you agree?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do think about the new 1000? Pictures please and the pros and cons?
It's a process. I'll attach a picture, but I've only got 180 (break in) miles on it, so I'm still forming opinions. It's still so new that the options are not available. I've got fairing & wind screen on order, passenger sear & backrest, and a rear rack on order. I'm not too fond of Honda's saddle bag option, but no one is offering after market options yet. I'm also getting heated grips, but that's just to extend my riding season. I'll need luggage for a hoped for 2k trip this June.

Just to start, if I did all my riding solo, I'd keep the CTX, until it aged out (I fix computers not motorcycles). Last October, I rode up to Tacoma, WA. Not sure if my location shows here, but it's in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, with a friend, and took 2 days comming back down the coast, and then thru some of the best twistys on the Suislaw River Road. Wouldn't ask for any more from a bike for both touring & some fun.

One of the things I'm hoping for is better suspension performance when riding 2 up. I won't really know until I get the options installed, and my wife let's me know. In my limited solo riding, I think the Rebel is a pro for suspension.

Another pro is that while I have no need to ride faster that my CTX will, the Rebel will accelerate better on an uphill grade when wanting to pass a RV in the mountains. Also, let's not kid ourselves, the extra power twisting the throttle is fun. I think the CTX is rated at 47 HP, and the Rebel at 87 HP.

So far, the biggest con is the gas mileage / tank size. The tank's just slightly larger than the CTX, and my first tank of gas was about 45 MPG. We had a sunny day over 50 degrees the other day. I filled the tank as much as I thought prudent, and the fuel gauge started flashing at about 110 miles. It took 2.7 gallons, for a mix is tight twisties, sweeps, and a return on the slab. Will report back later, as I do more miles. I also think I can set the display to show the distance remaining, but haven't done that yet. It's cool that it has up to date electronics.

The other big con is the current market place . It's a new bike with limited availability. It's not like going in to a dealership and offering a discounted offer on a bike that's been on their floor for a year plus. I think I'll be close to $13K by the time I've got my addons to make it a touring bike. I've also seen mention of a transfer of this engine to a NC750, which might be a better platform to start with.

All in all, I've still got a smile on my face. I'll keep this thread updated as I learn more about this bike, because I think we should have a possible upgrade path from our current rides.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard the 1100 isn't exactly built for us 6-foot-plus riders. Would you agree?
The short answer is yes, sort of. I bought this bike sight unseen. When I first sat on the new bike, I had a hard time lifting my knee up enough to get on the mid pegs, with riding pants that worked fine with the CTX. I asked my 6' 1" son to sit on the bike and he was fine, so I think my problem was more age related, and that I had on very thick pants with stiff armor on the knee.. I think Ari at Revzilla reviewed the bike and is over 6'.

I've got a 30" inseam and the first thing I did was put on an Airhawk seat pad I already had to boost up the seat height. If your legs are long enough, I'd think about an African Twin on the not too used market. More off-road chops, and even more HP..

I'll post more as I learn more

·
Registered
252 Posts
Honda needs to build more bikes with the DCT, including a true sport bike and true sport touring bike. The 1100 size engine should do all of that. It is a good size/weight. If they made the sport tourer/sport bike now I would have one. It cannot be heavy. I will keep my CTX700 for now. It could use the power of the 1100. That would be a real winner.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Honda needs to build more bikes with the DCT, including a true sport bike and true sport touring bike. The 1100 size engine should do all of that. It is a good size/weight. If they made the sport tourer/sport bike now I would have one. It cannot be heavy. I will keep my CTX700 for now. It could use the power of the 1100. That would be a real winner.
you could look for a used vfr1200 in DCT...except it is 600 lbs...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back in "the good old days" there were just bikes. In the '70's I had a Triumph 650 that I rode up thru Big Sur, spent a lot of time in the local mountains on twisties, and it took me back and forth to work. My CTX is like that, and that's my intention for the Rebel.

Once I get the fairing & wind screen, heated grips, passenger seat & pegs, passenger backrest, rear rack, luggage, and refoam the seats for more comfort, I think I'll have something you could call a sport tourer, even if Honda labels this a cruiser.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Back in "the good old days" there were just bikes. In the '70's I had a Triumph 650 that I rode up thru Big Sur, spent a lot of time in the local mountains on twisties, and it took me back and forth to work. My CTX is like that, and that's my intention for the Rebel.

Once I get the fairing & wind screen, heated grips, passenger seat & pegs, passenger backrest, rear rack, luggage, and refoam the seats for more comfort, I think I'll have something you could call a sport tourer, even if Honda labels this a cruiser.
I like the "good old days" comment. I spent most of my riding career on a 1974 Honda 750 K4, and it had plenty of power for me, even in my younger days. What did bother me a bit, though, were the mid pegs, due to some hip maladies. I did install crash bars and highway pegs which helped, but I was always nervous about quick access to the rear brake. I think the Rebel 1100 mid pegs would give me the same problems. That was the instantaneous delight I felt when I first sat on the CTX 700 with the forward pegs. With my Corbin standard seat, I can ride all day in comfort.

There are some aftermarket suppliers that make forward controls mods for the Rebel 500, so it may still be an issue for long legged riders. It will be a while before many mods are available for the 1100, however. Good luck with your upgrades and your trips this summer.

Reactions: Arrgh

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is a good looking bike...

I wanted know how that passenger seat was, it looks like it goes right on top of the fender in the back? Is that fender basically part of the frame with a piece of plastic over it? Where does the rear footpegs go?

Man... Im tempted and RIGHT after I upgraded the suspension of my CTX too...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is a good looking bike...

I wanted know how that passenger seat was, it looks like it goes right on top of the fender in the back? Is that fender basically part of the frame with a piece of plastic over it? Where does the rear footpegs go?

Man... Im tempted and RIGHT after I upgraded the suspension of my CTX too...
The passenger seat kit is both the seat, which attaches to the fender, and a set of pegs that attach to the frame. I don't think there's any plastic involved with the fender, it's steel and feels pretty substantial. When I ordered the parts the dealer said maybe mid March. When I get it installed, I'll post a pic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it's been a month now, and still no word from my dealer on the arrival of the rest of my bike. The Rebel 1100 platform has great potential, but unless someone wants an absolutely stock Rebel 1100, this is NOT a upgrade to the CTX. The extra power, improved DCT, and enhanced electronics are all nice, but until my wife & I can ride together on it, with touring accessories, we'll be riding the CTX.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ive also learned that the HONDA REBEL 1100 is limited to 100 MPH by the computer
I haven't confirmed that, and am not sure when I might. I don't ever ride on a race track, and probably hit my highest speeds when passing an RV on a mountain road with a short passing lane. My CTX700 gets the job done, and my Rebel 1100 gets the job done quicker, which is a good thing. Any passing situation that needs a speed over 100 is most likely not a good idea.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The need to build bikes for shorter inseam people in general.
Very much agree. I understand that the only way to get massive shock travel and ground clearance is to move the seat higher, but with my 30" inseam, a lot of bikes are taller than I want to ride. Not that I can't, but I prefer being able to put 2 feet down, not just 1 toe tip. I spend most of my time on pavement, and when I'm on a dirt road it's even more important to be able to get both feet down.

The CTX700 does have a seat height that works for me. The Rebel feels lower when getting on, and stopped, but a bit taller while riding. Perhaps it's because of the mid pegs.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My upgrade is now a Kawasaki Z900 RS Cafe.

IMG_2061.JPG

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Very much agree. I understand that the only way to get massive shock travel and ground clearance is to move the seat higher, but with my 30" inseam, a lot of bikes are taller than I want to ride. Not that I can't, but I prefer being able to put 2 feet down, not just 1 toe tip. I spend most of my time on pavement, and when I'm on a dirt road it's even more important to be able to get both feet down.

The CTX700 does have a seat height that works for me. The Rebel feels lower when getting on, and stopped, but a bit taller while riding. Perhaps it's because of the mid pegs.
I have a 28" seam, so I need even a lower bike. Considering that you actually lose 1.5 to 2" in seam height when seated (depending on the width of the seat), there are very few bikes out there that are rideable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts