CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Thursday I took my vintage XV920 Seca for a ride. Just to clear the pipes and hear it roar.
It is a Horse of a bike, for its day. It uses the same engine as the 920 Virago but is set up like a vintage Ducati of the same day. It weighs barely 500lbs wet and clocks 69hp at 6000 rpm.
It has a chain instead of the shaft drive, and the chain is encapsulated in a closed wet oil filled bath.
It was fun shaking the dust off it.
But today my wife and I took a quick ride on our CTX700.
I gotta tell ya, maybe it's because I am older, and bigger and slower
but this CTX is an incredible and comfortable ride.
My wife and i just buzzed the neighborhood, stopped by a friends house, went to a sidewalk coffee shop.
Just a real nice day.
I love this CTX!

Here's my Yamaha XV920
YAMAHA-XV920.jpg

·
Registered
580 Posts
Love that chain guard.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That housing, giving me a fully enclosed chain, holds about 1 quart of lithium grease and gives the chain an advertised life of 30,000 miles.
I'll never get near that.
It has a wonderful pull from about 2000-4000 rpm. It has the most incredible roll-on. If you're doing 55 mph and you want to go faster, just twist the throttle and you're at 65 mph almost instantly.
With an 8" headlight it looks like a Cyclops coming at you.
I parked it next to my buddy's new MV Agusta with its 3" led headlight. What a Gas!
It's a crazy bike They only brought it into the U.S. in 81 and 82. Something like 1870 total.
But I still love it.
Love my CTX more.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There were several of those, punched out to 1000cc, that were raced with the AFM and in AMA Battle of the Twins. The European market got the full 1000cc version (the TR1) and it too was popular in twins racing over there. FYI, there were some chain drive 750cc engines built as homologation specials for AMA flat track, I remember seeing one under a local guy's work bench.

You might like looking around this site at some of the cool specials:

The full chain enclosure makes SOOOOOO much sense, but they just don't seem to attract buyers in these modern times when they are put on bikes.

Enjoy your Yamaha!

cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
144 Posts
On Thursday I took my vintage XV920 Seca for a ride. Just to clear the pipes and hear it roar.
It is a Horse of a bike, for its day. It uses the same engine as the 920 Virago but is set up like a vintage Ducati of the same day. It weighs barely 500lbs wet and clocks 69hp at 6000 rpm.
It has a chain instead of the shaft drive, and the chain is encapsulated in a closed wet oil filled bath.
My wife and i just buzzed the neighborhood, stopped by a friends house, went to a sidewalk coffee shop.
Just a real nice day.
I love this CTX!

Here's my Yamaha XV920
View attachment 86713
Just a real nice day.
I love this CTX!

Here's my Yamaha XV920
View attachment 86713
I've always liked the looks of this bike. I don't remember it coming with those buckhorn handlebars. Are they a replacement? Also, have always been a fan of those big round headlights. Probably from my Triumph days in the '60's and '70's.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I bought the bike in 2012 on Ebay. The owner died and it was in storage. Had not been started since 1992. His sister listed it on Ebay, not knowing what it was. I saw the picture in the listing and knew what it was. I had wanted one since i first saw it through the window at Cycle Springs Yamaha in Tarpon Springs, FL in 1981. But my first daughter was on the way so it was one of those "out, off" till later deals. The Ebay listing was local so i went out and saw it before I bid. The lady adjusted the listing to show what I told her about the bike. She turned down my cash offer and let the listing run.
She should have taken my offer, cuz it was more than the 520.00 i won it for on Ebay!
Well the brakes were locked up, it needed new tires, the carbs were filthy and the aftermarket pipes were ugly with rust.
But I took the spark plugs out and loaded the cylinders with WD-40, put in new plugs, let it sit a week, and the dam thing started with a new battery.
The starter was bad, teeth and gears, so i rebuilt that. Put in a new relay, battery, new ignition, threw out the 2 into 2 pipes and replaced them with Mac 2 into 1 pipes, rebuilt the carbs and had a new bike with 8800 miles on it.
The previous owner did put on those handlebars and I eventually got some OEM New Old Stock and now have them on it. These 40mm Hitachi carbs are very difficult to balance with aftermarket pipes. So, after messing with that for a couple of years I got one of those new intake manifolds that a guy in California makes by cutting and welding a Ford 6 cylinder manifold. That allowed me to mount One carburetor onto it with a side mounted Harley Davidson breather and filter and the Bike is now a Champion. It pulls like a Tractor! Just a strong as a bull MONSTER!
I guess that is why I will never EVER part with it.
I waited 5 daughters and 30 years to get one. And it is more than i ever thought it would be.
and, with all that I have put into it, I now have abut 2500.00 into my 500 dollar Ebay special. So it's still not bad.
Not for a bike that sold for $2,995.00 Brand new in 1981! And that was 1981 dollars.
I have less than that in it at 2013-2018 dollars!
(alright, I'm using some of my "not that much money" Logic that i used to convince my wife that I can make money on this.) Kinda like when she and my daughter go to the store and come back and tell me how "lucky" I am that they were able to save me all that MONEY cuz it was on sale!
But I am rambling.
I just love taking old twins and making them run again.
I have a 1983 750 Midnight Virago and a 1983 500 Virago. The 750 was 450 buck and the 500 cost me 700. And both run like a dream. My two son-in-laws ride these.

Man, I am rambling. I'm waiting for my wife to get dressed so we can go out. She has tried on 3 outfits and asked my opinion while I am writing this. I know enough to say each outfit is beautiful. I cannot choose!
I have a great life.
I just love it!

·
Registered
580 Posts
If you are still alive after raising 5 girls, you DESERVE whatever you can get. ;)

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's that Harley breather.
I don't know why so many manufacturers insist on using multiple carburetors for twin cylinders.
Harley has had only one carb for decades. And my Kawasaki 1500 nomad only has one carb.
so this works just fine for me.
breather 4.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
That housing, giving me a fully enclosed chain, holds about 1 quart of lithium grease and gives the chain an advertised life of 30,000 miles.
I'll never get near that.
It has a wonderful pull from about 2000-4000 rpm. It has the most incredible roll-on. If you're doing 55 mph and you want to go faster, just twist the throttle and you're at 65 mph almost instantly.
With an 8" headlight it looks like a Cyclops coming at you.
I parked it next to my buddy's new MV Agusta with its 3" led headlight. What a Gas!
It's a crazy bike They only brought it into the U.S. in 81 and 82. Something like 1870 total.
But I still love it.
Love my CTX more.
I had an 82’ 920J. The only issue I had with the bike was starter problems it was plagued with. I tore the engine apart several times to put in new starter components but it never fixed the problem. When you started the bike it sounded like a blender breaking up ice cubes.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, it did. So did my 750 Virago.
I added a couple of shims, turned the main starter gear around, and they both are good. They both still cans sound like a box of bolts. But they both work fine.
These bikes are quirky. They are different. They are also easy to work on.
They are just fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts