CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
You can't do much. Be prepared to get a new or used one. I think moist air got inside. The meter is factory sealed. There were already attempts to dry it (e.g. in rice), but this will not help for long.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I won't discount the battery. It is the original, but the bike cranks and runs fine. Bike has never seen rain or a wash and only has 2K miles on it. It is always stored in a garage. I live in a humid climate and run a dehumidifier in the garage. The display started out fine yesterday and I watched it degrade during the ride. I have the extended warranty so I probably will do nothing until next spring. Has anyone replaced the Combination Meter? Where is the Odometer mileage stored?

·
Registered
333 Posts
The mileage is saved in the combination meter memory. It's good if the dealer can make a replacement. I don't even know how to legalize a new combination meter.
Failure of the meter's seal can occur at any time. If this is the cause of the faulty meter operation, no one can say for sure the cause of the fault.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would consider getting it checked right away under warranty so they can determine if it needs to be replaced. It may take a month or more after the shop submits the warranty replacement request to Honda for them to process the request and to have a new one shipped out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Especially with inventory delays-my CTX has been at the dealers service dept since August (just before the extended warranty expired) to address an issue with the back angle sensor that is causing massive confusion for the ECU!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just me but I would not accept the bike being down for 4 months when I paid good money for the extended warranty. If you research the exact parts that they say are back ordered you may find they are readily available from parts suppliers like partszilla. Its rare that the Bank angle sensor is bad and if so it would kill the EFI and totally shut the bike down where if it’s the “shift spindle angle sensor” many times this will throw a code because the bike is not shifting properly but it is not bad but reporting that the shift spindle is not in the correct position because the “gear shift reduction motor” is weak and not ratcheting the spindle into the correct position.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just me but I would not accept the bike being down for 4 months when I paid good money for the extended warranty. If you research the exact parts that they say are back ordered you may find they are readily available from parts suppliers like partszilla. Its rare that the Bank angle sensor is bad and if so it would kill the EFI and totally shut the bike down where if it’s the “shift spindle angle sensor” many times this will throw a code because the bike is not shifting properly but it is not bad but reporting that the shift spindle is not in the correct position because the “gear shift reduction motor” is weak and not ratcheting the spindle into the correct position.
I appreciate your time and I will suggested that to their service manager on Tuesday when he's in again keeping you posted.

·
Registered
662 Posts
There are many videos on YouTube on ghosting or LCD digits fading or missing. Possibly try lightly pushing down on or around the display bezel to see if it makes a difference. Or smack it lightly with you hand and see if the digits come back momentarily. It looks like the information is displaying correctly and may be as in the video the LCD is not making good contact inside the meter. Don’t mess with it too much so as not to be denied warranty replacement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts