CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First ride today in damp cool (50 F.) weather. My last ride in similar weather was on a Gold Wing. Big difference in the amount of cold air on my legs/feet. Can’t say I enjoyed it but I usually don’t ride much below 40 F..
I have T-REX front & rear bars and they look like they would easily accommodate some form of wind deflectors to better protect my legs.
Has anyone already done this?? I’ll probably fabricate the brackets to attach to the bars and make the deflectors out of some locally sourced material.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Greetings Philipintexas. I have a Madstad windshield that was an improvement, but it really got better when I added their lower wind deflectors CTX700N and NC700S (2012 - Up) Lower Deflectors Kit (Pair)

Was out the other day at 3 C, about 37 F, and I could feel the temperature, but it would have been worse without my lower deflectors. time to get the long johns out and make sure I have the chaps on; really reduces the wind effect.

By the way, I checked on the Weather Network: Dallas looks to be sunny with highs between 12 - 22 C over the next week. here in Ottawa, I woke up to a nice white covering of snow. Kinda reduces possible hours of riding.
cheers, PhilipinOttawa...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, I’d checked the Madstad web-site but didn’t see their offering. Theirs looks very much like what I planned to make. I like the idea of attaching them farther to the rear using the T-rex bars. Good info..

Re: Ontario weather, I like the fact Texas weather lets me ride almost year round. I used to live in Alaska many years ago so I feel your pain...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I regret that I didn't buy Madsta lower deflectors with the windscreen, but on the other hand I have riding pants offering enough wind protection in most circumstances. The lowers could offer some benefit on motorways though.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I regret that I didn't buy Madsta lower deflectors with the windscreen, but on the other hand I have riding pants offering enough wind protection in most circumstances. The lowers could offer some benefit on motorways though.
Maurimy; apart from the wind benefit, which is notable, I find the bigger advantage is the noise reduction that I got with the lowers. Take a quick look; they still may have their coupon in effect for a price reduction.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have an evil plan to make my own once I install these:

Reactions: CTX2fer

·
Registered
722 Posts
That's what I was going for.

Reactions: Vulcan Mediator

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
howdy from 80 degree haifa israel.
yes, the wind comes from the front lower and up. picture , then forget, me riding to church 80 miles in cool weather and in five miles or so of speed limit riding , my church pants were up over my knees. i went to a place where they make leather clothes and ased for a leather band with velcro that i could wrap around my pants at anlke height and that solved the pants being pushed up by the wind problem.
ken

·
Registered
722 Posts
My issue is more head buffeting above 70mph than cold. Turbulence is coming up from the sides.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm with Vulcan: the Madstad lower deflectors are awesome. Like many here I mounted mine 'upside down' in order to better keep the wind off of my thighs instead of my ankles.

View attachment 87327
I'm interested in that seat, as well as the deflectors! Where did you get it?

So far I have a Shad Top Box and a Puig Windscreen, just installed today... Don't care for the head buffeting :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
First ride today in damp cool (50 F.) weather. My last ride in similar weather was on a Gold Wing. Big difference in the amount of cold air on my legs/feet. Can’t say I enjoyed it but I usually don’t ride much below 40 F..
I have T-REX front & rear bars and they look like they would easily accommodate some form of wind deflectors to better protect my legs.
Has anyone already done this?? I’ll probably fabricate the brackets to attach to the bars and make the deflectors out of some locally sourced material.

Maybe something like this? Ural leg guards. Get 'em on eBay.

Or this? Tucano Urbano.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm with Vulcan: the Madstad lower deflectors are awesome. Like many here I mounted mine 'upside down' in order to better keep the wind off of my thighs instead of my ankles.

View attachment 87327
I have the madstad lowers also and I love them....also try knee warmers...Revzilla sells them for 19.95 they are called Oxford Chillouts....I have them and they work great....good luck and stay warm

·
Registered
187 Posts
Insulated pants work very well. Check Cabella, Bass Pro offerings. Not rated for road rash.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked at the Madstad lowers but wanted something a little more “Custom” looking and a bit more streamlined, so a couple days work, some scrap aluminum and an Ebay find on some 1/4” “smoke” acrylic sheet and I have my solution. Keeps the wind off my feet and legs plus the low-pressure behind them pulls warm air from behind the radiator up around my legs.
I have the advantage of having T-REX bars so I attached everything to them. Had to mill off a little of the “Pucks” but I was able to keep the tip-over protection.

PICT5563.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm interested in that seat, as well as the deflectors! Where did you get it?

So far I have a Shad Top Box and a Puig Windscreen, just installed today... Don't care for the head buffeting :(

View attachment 87341
The seat in my post above is the Corbin low. It's fantastic. It scooted me forward about an inch, which was weird, but I like it. I'm 5'9".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts