CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't visited here much in quite awhile, but I had a really close call yesterday I thought I should report to fellow motorcyclists.

I decided to go on a late afternoon cruise--it was just too beautiful - clear, warm, dead calm. I rode west towards Whiteman AFB, Missouri, on the back road-- a state "lettered" 2 lane hiway. I was cruising along about 55-60mph when suddenly a car came over the top of a hill in my lane trying to pass another car. The car in my lane swerved over running his left side tires off the road into the grass. On these roads, there are pretty steep drop offs into ditches. I'm not sure if the car he was trying to pass swerved over or not-- everything just happened too fast. There was an opening and I went right between the two oncoming cars. Since there was no impact, both cars slowed, I'm sure to look in their rear views and saw I was still upright, and just continued on. I'm not sure if my ABS brakes kicked in or not - if they did, they probably saved me from going down.

Normally, in a situation like that I would have probably went for the ditch, but that would have resulted in a serious crash.
I came back home unscathed except for shaken nerves. God must have been looking out for me.

I usually run with my headlight on dim--from now on it's going to stay on bright. It's a good thing I wasn't going any faster as this would have cut down the time to react by both me and the cars. I'm trying to think of any additional lighting that would make my oncoming visibility greater-- something higher off the ground--like maybe something mounted on top of my helmet. If anyone has any suggestions, please comment below.

I've always classified myself as a very safe and conservative rider, but a incident like this is just totally unexpected.

·
Registered
2015 Honda CTX700 DCT
19 Posts
You were lucky or skillful or both. Good to hear you came through unscathed.

It sounds like the two cars may have been racing each other since it's always illegal to pass in the situation you described. The drivers were lucky you were a motorcycle that could slip between them and not a 16 wheeler.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow, Z. If I were you I wouldn't bother buying a lotto ticket any time soon because you just used up all your luck through the end of the year. :eek: Glad you made it through to the other side.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Saw the typical self centered tin top driver blowing his horn at a 2 up bike slowly to stop at an intersection to make a rh turn. The light was already red as the tin top blew through the light. Can’t fix stupid, only try to avoid it.

I run hi beam, although this term is incorrect, during the day as well as after dark. If an oncoming vehicle flashes me during the day, I wave back and think to myself “you saw me this time!”

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
howdy and i'm glad i can read something you wrote. that may be your eigth life though. 🙈
ken

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I haven't visited here much in quite awhile, but I had a really close call yesterday I thought I should report to fellow motorcyclists.

I decided to go on a late afternoon cruise--it was just too beautiful - clear, warm, dead calm. I rode west towards Whiteman AFB, Missouri, on the back road-- a state "lettered" 2 lane hiway. I was cruising along about 55-60mph when suddenly a car came over the top of a hill in my lane trying to pass another car. The car in my lane swerved over running his left side tires off the road into the grass. On these roads, there are pretty steep drop offs into ditches. I'm not sure if the car he was trying to pass swerved over or not-- everything just happened too fast. There was an opening and I went right between the two oncoming cars. Since there was no impact, both cars slowed, I'm sure to look in their rear views and saw I was still upright, and just continued on. I'm not sure if my ABS brakes kicked in or not - if they did, they probably saved me from going down.

Normally, in a situation like that I would have probably went for the ditch, but that would have resulted in a serious crash.
I came back home unscathed except for shaken nerves. God must have been looking out for me.

I usually run with my headlight on dim--from now on it's going to stay on bright. It's a good thing I wasn't going any faster as this would have cut down the time to react by both me and the cars. I'm trying to think of any additional lighting that would make my oncoming visibility greater-- something higher off the ground--like maybe something mounted on top of my helmet. If anyone has any suggestions, please comment below.

I've always classified myself as a very safe and conservative rider, but a incident like this is just totally unexpected.

So glad you stayed upright and did not have a sudden panic reaction. (& footnote to all: NEVER allow road rage to creep in, stop safely & chill out, if necessary & be Thankful).
Two lane roads are some of the deadliest, especially at hill crests and blind corners. Sometimes, we must slow for we can see and what we cannot.
Best Wishes going forward and Thanks for sharing!(y)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thank God you are okay. Like you and others here I am interested in technology and road strategy that keeps us all safer. In regard to your point about increasing your visibility/conspicuity to others earlier, would you be able to go to Google maps and screenshot the section of the road where the incident occurred? I do have to admit that the level of inattention drivers are showing today (ignoring rules of the road, texting/distracted driving, cannabis & alcohol) is entering my thoughts more frequently. Anyhow, glad you were able to ride your way out of a bad situation.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You were lucky or skillful or both. Good to hear you came through unscathed.

It sounds like the two cars may have been racing each other since it's always illegal to pass in the situation you described. The drivers were lucky you were a motorcycle that could slip between them and not a 16 wheeler.
Just because it is illegal doesn't mean that that it won't be done. It has happened to me more than once and it is the reason I will not ride on tight mountain roads even in a car normally.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It sounds like you pulled off a real life scene from an action movie! I am thankful you are alive to tell this story. God shows His sovereignty and His mercy at times we may least expect. Near death experiences remind us of our own mortality and just how precious life really is. God is good. Glad your still with us!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Glad you came through that ok. From close encounters I've had in my car, when you make it through you are not thinking of revenge, you are just totally emotionally wasted and glad to be in 1 piece. That is one advantage of riding at night: all parties can normally see the headlights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts