CTX 700 Forum banner

Cleaning the Matte Black Plastic

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  TIP 
#1 ·
I have been having a hard time getting the white dullness off the Matte black rougher plastic

The previous owner must have used something wrong and now I can't clean the areas of dullness

Tried Meguiars Mothers and S100. Any other ideas?

Thanks

#4 ·
I like the peanut butter solution :)

Seriously, I haven't found anything that works permanently unless you remove whatever the contaminant is immediately.

Any time in the sun, good luck.

#5 ·
often the white residue on the matte finish is from waxing the rest of the bike
Cleaning with a weak Simple Green solution will remove the white stuff. Use an old soft toothbrush.
The follow with Mother's Back to Black applications-may take 2 or 3. (avail. at wallyworld or auto parts stores). Meguiar's also makes a good product.
This also works well on the matte black on cars - bumpers, wheel arches, etc.
Needs to be kept up with every month or so.

#6 ·
often the white residue on the matte finish is from waxing the rest of the bike
Cleaning with a weak Simple Green solution will remove the white stuff. Use an old soft toothbrush.
The follow with Mother's Back to Black applications-may take 2 or 3. (avail. at wallyworld or auto parts stores). Meguiar's also makes a good product.
This also works well on the matte black on cars - bumpers, wheel arches, etc.
Needs to be kept up with every month or so.

This. All day this. Happens all the time on cages as well, and it drives me batty. If people are going to spend the extra time/money to wax it, do it right the first time. Considering every third car on the road is a crossover/truck/SUV, I cringe when I see plastic cladding all discolored.

Best of luck to you!

#7 ·
Ask your wife to get you some MAGIC ERASER. She maybe already has some in the kitchen. I found it cleans nearly anything but will not scratch. When clean polish it withBack to Black or something similar. Mequires have this product I think. Gas or paint thinners may also do the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.