CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I could use a little help trying to figure this simple thing. I just noticed That the plastic housing for my rear brake fluid is thick and not see through. I can’t tell how much fluid I have because the plastic isn’t transparent. Is this normal? Meaning it’s full now and I won’t see anything but when the fluid goes down the plastic will reveal levels? Thanks 🙏🏻

·
Registered
485 Posts
Two options come to mind. 1. Shine a flashlight on it. 2. Remove the bolt and cover. If you haven't changed the fluid in two years, it needs to be flushed anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two options come to mind. 1. Shine a flashlight on it. 2. Remove the bolt and cover. If you haven't changed the fluid in two years, it needs to be flushed anyway.
Thanks for the tip, I attempted a flashlight prior to posting. This method wasn’t successful. It hasn’t been two years for the bike, I just like to keeping an eye on everything. Maybe it’s still super clear and not discolored so it doesn’t reflect through the thick plastic yet? Strange because it’s visible on most other bikes. Curious what everyone else’s rear brake reservoir looks like?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Did you shine the light from the flashlight on the BACK of the reservoir? To get a good color check you will need to pull out some of the brake fluid. New fluid is the color of ginger ale, old fluid looks like well aged whiskey. BTW fluid level is checked with the bike vertical, not on the kick stand.

brake-fluid.jpg

Steve

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just a note. I strongly recommend replacing the fluid if it has been 2 years or more, or if you don't know when it was last replaced. I recently did the LH rear brake mod and discovered that even though the fluid looked good in the reservoir, the master was full of cloudy muck, probably because it is the low point of the circuit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts