CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you have mounted the webike stand......

Yeah I know, the manual and the shop manual say you're supposed to stand the bike up straight, not let it lean when checking the oil. So I did a little test. I did exactly what you're supposed to do to check the oil;, let it run for five minutes , shut it off , check after three minutes, and the levels were exactly the same whether it was on the center stand or stood up straight from side stand (straddling).... Exactly the same. So it must ask you to hold the bike up straight not because there's an angle from front to back, but just side to side… so much **** easier to check it on the center stand…

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would guess the manual tells you yo hold the bike upright, because it doesn't come with a center stand. Would be curious to see, after checking the oil with the bike upright, what the level would be while on the side stand. If it registered full while upright, and at the low mark, or somewhere in between, on the sidestand, then you know it is full if at the low mark. If the level doesn't register at all on the sidestand, then it has to be upright.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yep, the manual certainly is written for those w/sidestand, it's just written for the standard equipment. I'll take a reading on the side stand as I have not used the bike yet , so the level will be the same.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree. I have the stand and checked it several times on the stand and off (with the bike held upright) and it always matched.

Reactions: Ruby

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Yep, the manual certainly is written for those w/sidestand, it's just written for the standard equipment. I'll take a reading on the side stand as I have not used the bike yet , so the level will be the same.
Definitely not. The posters are referring to using the additional accessory center stand, not the side stand. Even then, there is a difference.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
While it's more accurate straight up, fact is, if you learn the levels, you can read it on the side stand as well. It's not gonna be that far off. You'll be able to tell if it's low or not.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
While it's more accurate straight up, fact is, if you learn the levels, you can read it on the side stand as well. It's not gonna be that far off. You'll be able to tell if it's low or not.
Oil is the engines life blood.Why not just do it correctly. Seriously, its not that difficult! Under filling definitely causes serious damage. Overfilling can cause serious damage if left alone and ruin your whole day having to drain the oil if away from your normal service area. We've had members report overfilling issues by service departments who did not do the check properly or who did the oil fill using a service stand. We've also had members report over filling because they did not do the check properly.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Oil is the engines life blood.Why not just do it correctly. Seriously, its not that difficult! Under filling definitely causes serious damage. Overfilling can cause serious damage if left alone and ruin your whole day having to drain the oil if away from your normal service area. We've had members report overfilling issues by service departments who did not do the check properly or who did the oil fill using a service stand. We've also had members report over filling because they did not do the check properly.
Oh, I don't disagree. I'm just saying a quick check while on the side stand is not gonna make you flap your arms in fear that the oil is to low, and run out and toss a quart in it. That's all.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you have mounted the webike stand......

Yeah I know, the manual and the shop manual say you're supposed to stand the bike up straight, ......................... easier to check it on the center stand…
If you loosen the plug first and then straddle the bike, it's not hard to do it that way. I've got a seriously messed up lower back and I can still bend over far enough to be able to check the oil level this way.

Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have had my CTX DCT for almost a year. I am far from an expert about the engine. But the day I trailered the bike home last year I spent time investigating and getting to know it. Checked the oil...nothing on the dip stick at all. I called the dealer in a panic. They assured me the bike had its check out and they put me through to the service department who went through the procedure in the manual that I

had not read yet. After the warm up and cool down with the bike held level the oil level was right on the mark. Maybe it was an anomaly but I do it by the book now.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Here's how I do it.

I fill the bike on the side stand, put the dip stick in, then I grab the bars and slowly put it upright then bring it back down to the side stand.

The oil will stick to the dip stick at the highest level. I don't feel comfortable straddling the bike while checking the oil. This method should give the same result.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well, I will try reviving this old thread with an additional question. What I hate is all the heat it up, let it sit crap. Why not be able to check it while it is cold. I am in the process of once I know the oil is correct using the heat it up way and then the next day checking it by holding it upright, but checking the cold level. Once I know the corresponding cold level for it being full I can then check it that way any time. Anybody else know their hot vs cold oil levels??

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
304 Posts
Or, check it cold, then heat it up and check the difference. Don’t have to wait a day, or at all.
I haven’t done this yet, I figured to add 2 cents. 😁

1 - 13 of 13 Posts