CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the manual and the info in the forum on chain tension. Seemed straightforward. I measure it with the bike on the side stand as that is what Honda recommends. When I measure it in what looks like the center to me, I can move it about an inch and a 1/2 and then it hits the rubber under the swing arm. Since the spec is 1 to 1.4 inches, it seems to me that if I tighten it so that it almost but not quite hits the rubber, I'm good. Two things bother be about this. 1) It seems too easy and if it were this easy, someone would mention it. 2) They say that anything over 1 15/16 inches means don't ride. But the chain hits the rubber before it ever gets close to 1 15/16, so how would you ever get a measurement of 1 15/16? These things make be think that my measurement of about 1 and a half inches of movement before the chain hits is inaccurate.

Thoughts? Experiences?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I've read the manual and the info in the forum on chain tension. Seemed straightforward. I measure it with the bike on the side stand as that is what Honda recommends. When I measure it in what looks like the center to me, I can move it about an inch and a 1/2 and then it hits the rubber under the swing arm. Since the spec is 1 to 1.4 inches, it seems to me that if I tighten it so that it almost but not quite hits the rubber, I'm good. Two things bother be about this. 1) It seems too easy and if it were this easy, someone would mention it. 2) They say that anything over 1 15/16 inches means don't ride. But the chain hits the rubber before it ever gets close to 1 15/16, so how would you ever get a measurement of 1 15/16? These things make be think that my measurement of about 1 and a half inches of movement before the chain hits is inaccurate.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Mine chain would make a noise on slow speed (5 mph) deacceleration at 1.5 or more slack. I set it to the minimum slack the book calls for which is 1.0 inches. Never touches the rubber stop and everything is now quiet! Red Rider

·
Registered
866 Posts
Just tighten it untill the top of the chain cannot be in contact with the rubber, then measure it and adjust to the 30 mm or 1.25 inches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts