CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide about a chain oiler--I'm sure at this point I want one and I have two contenders in mind--The Tutoro and the Cobra Nemo 2-- Right now, I'm leaning toward the Nemo because of its simplicity and lower cost. There is another brand being sold on Amazon under the name of Gibidi -- that is a little cheaper. Does anyone know anything about this Gibidi unit? It looks IDENTICAL to the Cobra Nemo unit--Those Chinese are good copy cats.

But overall, Has anyone had a Nemo unit and been unhappy with it? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have the Nemo and it works great. If you are considering the Gidibi you can get it cheaper thru AliExpress for$38.68. I have never used them myself so not sure if you would get hit with some sort of import tax? Watch the video on the page where they fill it with water, its hilarious and actually makes you not want to buy it. 90 wt gear oil flows a little different than water. By the looks of it in the video it looks exactly like the Nemo.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32953854907.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.2.7bd53c88qaegQo&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.99734.0&scm_id=1007.13339.99734.0&scm-url=1007.13339.99734.0&pvid=59b1f8dd-9089-40ed-9965-5ccecc4cd723

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Here is the only visible part of the Cameleon on my bike the reservoir tube snakes up around the pivot point of the swing arm and ends under the seat.

Don’t have a photo of the drip tube but it comes drips into the top of the chain, directly in the middle, just in front of the rear sprocket.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I mounted the tutoro on the Rubbermaid bracket right behind my left knee, so I can adjust it on the fly. The tube snakes along the swing arm and the nozzle sits at about between 6 and 7 o'clock on the rear sprocket.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Love my Cameleon 2 oiler. Set it and forget it. Does not drip when parked. Installs under the seat like the previous poster said.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Nemo and it works great. If you are considering the Gidibi you can get it cheaper thru AliExpress for$38.68. I have never used them myself so not sure if you would get hit with some sort of import tax? Watch the video on the page where they fill it with water, its hilarious and actually makes you not want to buy it. 90 wt gear oil flows a little different than water. By the looks of it in the video it looks exactly like the Nemo.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32953854907.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.2.7bd53c88qaegQo&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.99734.0&scm_id=1007.13339.99734.0&scm-url=1007.13339.99734.0&pvid=59b1f8dd-9089-40ed-9965-5ccecc4cd723

The Gidibi looks the same as the Nemo PLUS it comes in lots of different colors! I have the Nemo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here is the only visible part of the Cameleon on my bike the reservoir tube snakes up around the pivot point of the swing arm and ends under the seat.

Don’t have a photo of the drip tube but it comes drips into the top of the chain, directly in the middle, just in front of the rear sprocket.

I had a Cameleon on my Bonneville. I really liked the concept. It always put down too much oil, even on the lowest setting. They sent me a new delivery tube, just in case it had a small air leak, but it did the same thing. I had the tube located where they said to put it; centered on the chain just in front of the sprocket. The 140wt oil is rather tacky/stringy as seen in the photo. I got oil mist all over the place too, including the back of the seat. I switched to a Nemo which still leaves some oil, but it wipes off a lot easier.

Chains to not really absorb oil, and the nature of rotating parts is to the throw the oil off.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here it is on the CTX700. The wheel is dirty of course...probably at about 350 miles with speeds up to 90mph. Fling is inevitable, but this wipes off easily. The mounting bracket was for accessory lights on vehicles with a light bar. Very close fit. Only a few threads of the screws are holding it on. I could get longer screws at some point.

On the nozzle holder, I scraped off the very weak adhesive it comes with. I drilled a small hole in the bracket and bottom of the swing arm and used s self taping screw to hold it on. I also used black silicone adhesive between the bracket and swing arm, along with the zip-ties. It ain't goin' nowhere!

A note on the Nemo; Even though you have have ridden for hours, if you park where the sun can hit the reservoir, pressure will build up and oil can drip out of the tube. On the Bonneville, this drips oil on the tire sidewall because the chain is on the right side of the bike!! NOT a good thing. So I have to remember to "turn off" the oiler by simply rotating the body 1/8 of a turn or so counterclockwise in that situation. On the CTX700 with the chain on the left side, oil would just drip on the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
That’s pretty nifty the way you mounted with that bracket. Is there a certain oil that is better than others for these type oilers to eliminate so much mess and clean up?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I had a Cameleon on my Bonneville. I really liked the concept. It always put down too much oil, even on the lowest setting. They sent me a new delivery tube, just in case it had a small air leak, but it did the same thing. I had the tube located where they said to put it; centered on the chain just in front of the sprocket. The 140wt oil is rather tacky/stringy as seen in the photo. I got oil mist all over the place too, including the back of the seat. I switched to a Nemo which still leaves some oil, but it wipes off a lot easier.

Chains to not really absorb oil, and the nature of rotating parts is to the throw the oil off.
Wow that's to bad, mine seems dialed in perfect there is some oil sling but more than acceptable for what the oiler is doing, i consider it minor and no where near what you are showing as with anything YMMV i guess.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought a Gidibi off Amazon. It came with pictorial instructions, and an extra port connector. I ride a ctx700D with the factory faring. It was a challenge to weave the tube, I didn't want the tube to ride near the radiator, but there is a way. Mounted the unit per this threads video. Mounted the output tube in front of the rear sprocket, middle of the chain. I'm using Bar and Chain oil, wont sling as much. So far it's working perfectly, there is a nice sheen to the chain. If it drips after you park you you can crank the unit counterclockwise a bit. Well worth the minimal expense and time.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You just cant beat the price of $35.99 with free shipping Amazon prime. I paid over $100.00 for the Cobrra 2 years ago and the Gidibi looks exactly the same. I have been using Valvoline 80w90 gear oil in it. Soon as I start my ride out of the hood when I get a stretch of low speed uninterrupted roadway I give it a ¼ turn and when I park it in the garage I never have any oil dribbles on the floor. Even with just a ¼ turn I still have some sling off on the wheel and back fender but she ain’t no trailer queen and I have no shame in having a well oiled machine. My favorite saying is” I cant see it from where I sit”. I do own a chain saw and have a jug of chain saw oil. I will give it a try because apparently it has additives to make it cling to the chain and reduce fling off. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've never felt the need for a chain oilier, not even on my dirt bike....... but I do have a question.
Does all that oil make a mess of your sprockets, chains, rear wheel, tire, fender & every thing else back there? ......

I've always used DuPont dry teflon lube (there's several dry chain lubes) clean & lube every 2500, 3500 miles. My chains & sprockets always last 13,000 to 16,000 miles. My son in law gets 20,000 out of his.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am trying to decide about a chain oiler--I'm sure at this point I want one and I have two contenders in mind--The Tutoro and the Cobra Nemo 2-- Right now, I'm leaning toward the Nemo because of its simplicity and lower cost. There is another brand being sold on Amazon under the name of Gibidi -- that is a little cheaper. Does anyone know anything about this Gibidi unit? It looks IDENTICAL to the Cobra Nemo unit--Those Chinese are good copy cats.

But overall, Has anyone had a Nemo unit and been unhappy with it? Thanks for your input.
I am responding to your, now, dated post. Via Amazon, I purchased the Gidiai version of Nemo2 @ $36- and installed this week. A viable basic concept, decent quality too. not caring to add another gizmo to my handlebar (just added Sykik Rider tire monitors too), mounted below left knee in lil "alcove" spot on my DCT 700.. A lil tight but works. Be sure to understand you must unscrew top & body, which lengthens unit fully. I can appreciate how this lil gizmo might extended chain life and believe one fill would cover 1000mi on typical US Hwys.. Without need to bring along kerosene cleaner, brushes etc.. A nice package, fully complemented with some extra stuff, lil to complain about. (;))

1 - 20 of 20 Posts