CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had a bike with a chain. I found out yesterday the chain needs to be checked/maintained every 500-1000 miles. Commuting alone will put me at 500 miles per month. The service is cheap -- $27.50 I believe is what I heard from the dealer.

I typically do not do any work on the bike myself. [don't trust my 'lack of skills' while tootling around at 70+ MPH]

However, I am now thinking I might need to learn a bit about chain maintenance.

So, what is required in checking/maintaining a chain?

thanks
Suzanne

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I wish the CTX had shaft Drive but it would cut down on the power it has somewhat. Chain drives are lighter, more efficient and you can change the ratio by changing sprocket sizes. Typical life if well maintained is about 20,000 miles. Always budget for a new set and change sprockets at the same time. Cost would be about 150.00 for all 3, front sprocket, rear sprocket and chain plus installation cost. I would do that myself as I have done many.

The manual says every 500 miles. It does not say 500 to 1000 miles You can use trip A for monitoring miles between fill ups and Trip B odometer for chain lube miles and that will help you know when to oil chain again.

The hardest part is getting the rear wheel to rotate. Without a center stand or jack stand you will have to roll the bike a little at a time to expose all the chain during cleaning a lubing. Harbor Freight makes a item with rollers you can roll the bike on and it allows the tire to rotate on the rollers. I have a couple of stands left over from prior motorcycles that I plan to modify so I can lift the rear wheel. If you get the optional 150.00 center stand it will solve this problem and be handy for other services.

My chain maintenance over the rears has been to wipe the dirt off with a rag. check adjustment, then spray with a good chain lube. I like to spray on the chain hanging down below the swing arm as that is the inside of the chain that rides against the sprockets. Do not over spray but be sure to get all of chain. Then I wipe off the excess oil that is on the outside of the chain side plates.

once up the bike is raised, chain service is about 10-15 minute job. Also try to avoid spraying chain directly when cleaning the bike.

I am sure there are more instructions you could find on the web if you searched.

good luck.

Reactions: dewaltman2

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does Honda recommend any specific chain lube?

I've been using DuPont Chain Saver on all my other bikes.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Pete,
of course they do, they sell their own. Use what you like is my motto, any brand except those harmful to o-ring chains (read the label on the can) are better than none at all.

Reactions: fjones

·
Registered
898 Posts
Bill, are you sure there is a center stand option available for the CTX700? I know the NC700X has that option, but my dealer is not showing one for the CTX. I know they are probably the same frame, but I was just wondering if you had a part number, or have already gotten confirmation on this.
Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
The modern O-ring chain is totally under-rated. Chain life all comes down to riding style. If you must win every traffic-light grand prix, don’t expect long from your chain and sprockets. Same goes for sustained high speed in high ambient temperatures, dusty terrain or torrential rain. It’s rare to come across a bike stranded with a broken chain, and when you do, the rider had usually been doing something stupid. Manufactures are keen to have you maintain their service intervals, as it removes them from the litigation loop and adds to their bottom line.
Only real advantage of shaft-drive is in keeping the bike clean. Once you’ve ridden through a grass-hopper plague, a bit of grime on the back wheel is nothing. The modern bike (Honda most notable) is totally water-tight, and easy to keep clean. I must admit I would have preferred to see a belt drive as I think that’s the way of the future, but even they must have some draw-backs.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Thumper, might have jumped the gun on the center stand. I was at the Honda dealer earlier today and they had the right ears for my stand I got at Harbor freight so will be testing that today or tomorrow. I also ordered the service manual today. 59.95 plus 10% off. takes 10 days to get.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Always budget for a new set and change sprockets at the same time. Cost would be about 150.00 for all 3, front sprocket, rear sprocket and chain plus installation cost. I would do that myself as I have done many.

The manual says every 500 miles. It does not say 500 to 1000 miles You can use trip A for monitoring miles between fill ups and Trip B odometer for chain lube miles and that will help you know when to oil chain again.

good luck.
Good stuff ....

thanks
Suzanne

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
YouTube has several good videos on chain maintainance.

Reactions: fjones

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
if you look under the How To section you will see what will make chain oiling an easier task.

I think it is a required tool for anyone owning a chain driven motorcycle.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I would think that everyone that buys and/or rides a chain-driven MC needs to be prepared to handle regular chain cleaning and lubing themselves or with help from someone that is regularly around.

As for me, my daily commute will require that I lube at least every two weeks. I can't be at the dealer this often.

My bigger concern right now, until I find out what it is all about, is the service schedule for the valve clearance check and adjustment. What I've found out is that it comes up every oil change (8000 miles). If this is a service-shop-only check, then this may be a deal breaker for me. I can't be having major work done every ten months. I'm hoping though, that I can research this and figure out how to do it myself without having to get a PHD.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I just changed front and rear sprocket with new chain on Vulcan EN500 and after 35k miles, they looked new. Just clean sprockets and chain every few months, spray some good synthetic lube on every 300 to 500 miles (pretty easy to do) and adjust chain according to the manual. I could have probably put another 10k miles on that chain and sprockets but we are leaving on a long trip so I do total maintenance on both bikes before leaving.
Ride moderate to easy and do maintenance. The chain will never be a problem for you. Carry some good chain lube with you if you are traveling, you can do this at each hotel stop. The chain is old school, but it is a tried and true, strong and cost effective tool for motorcycles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I always use a paddock stand for chain maintenance (and checking the rear wheel /tyre too). But if you can't lift the rear wheel to rotate it, then spray the part of the chain that's visible (below the swing arm, the inside section), and do it more often. Over time it'll even out and the whole chain will be kept lubed. This is advice I've heard and makes sense to me.

I don't know of a Honda with belt drive, they do good shaft drives though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
waldo world Formally known as WalFart i mean Walmart

has Dupont Chain Degreaser,

& Dupont Teflon chain Lube that is Oring safe.

They also have Dupont "The Grunge Brush"

·
Registered
23 Posts
My bigger concern right now, until I find out what it is all about, is the service schedule for the valve clearance check and adjustment. What I've found out is that it comes up every oil change (8000 miles).
isn't that only done once (after the first 600-900 miles), and then no longer needed ?

I've heard many people say that when they do the valve clearance check on their Honda's, that it's rarely out of spec anyway...

·
Registered
975 Posts
isn't that only done once (after the first 600-900 miles), and then no longer needed ?

I've heard many people say that when they do the valve clearance check on their Honda's, that it's rarely out of spec anyway...
Since my post in mid June on this topic of valve clearance check, this topic has been re visited; covered more thoroughly and laid out specifically in another thread linked below.

To summarize, Honda's service schedule for valve clearance is the same interval as the oil/filter change @ 8,000 miles, but no accelerated check early on; they recommend the same interval throughout the life of the bike. This is not true of some other models. The 2013 CB500F/R/X models, for instance, call for a check @ 600 miles and then every 1,500 miles after that

With respect to the CTX/NC700s, the tupperware has to be removed (as they call it) and radiator dropped (disconnected and lowered; not removed) to get to the valve cover. Steps provided in the following link. Look for DewaltDakota's post on page 4 for listed steps to DIY.

http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/honda-ctx700-versus-competition/1185-not-set-ctx700-4.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just changed front and rear sprocket with new chain on Vulcan EN500 and after 35k miles, they looked new. Just clean sprockets and chain every few months, spray some good synthetic lube on every 300 to 500 miles (pretty easy to do) and adjust chain according to the manual. I could have probably put another 10k miles on that chain and sprockets but we are leaving on a long trip so I do total maintenance on both bikes before leaving.
Ride moderate to easy and do maintenance. The chain will never be a problem for you. Carry some good chain lube with you if you are traveling, you can do this at each hotel stop. The chain is old school, but it is a tried and true, strong and cost effective tool for motorcycles.
Thumper, I have a Vulcan 500 too and got 32K miles on my original chain (2006 model). My wife has a new CTX 700N, so I'm monitoring the forum for tips. I clean with kerosense and lube with BelRay SuperClean (or regular) and lately the Dupont spray wax stuff. All seem to work fine. I do this about every 400 miles...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I try to lubricate the chain on my motorcycle about once every two weeks. I'm not to picky about what chain lube I use. I know I have at least 3 different ones in the garage, well I guess I've moved them to the basement now that winter is setting in.
About once a month I douse a rag with kerosene and thoroughly clean the sprockets and chain. This will extend the life of the chain, and it looks good to. Always be sure to go for at least a short spin to warm the chain before you lube it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've been searching for info on how to get the rear tire off the ground for chain maintenance without buying a center stand. I went by Cycle Gear today to ask them about their Trackside Rear Paddock Stand. The salesman said it might work on the CTX, but wondered if the muffler would be in the way. Have any of you used a Paddock on a faired CTX with success? Or, do you have another suggestion to help me work on the chain? John

1 - 20 of 38 Posts