CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
CTX700DN 2014
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow bike riders! I’m seeking advice from those of you who service your bike chains while using a center stand, lift, or other device… I have found a way to lift my bike, unorthodox as it might be, by lashing it to my garage wall and using a scissors jack lifting just below where the center stand would normally be. All appears quite safe and I have a half inch or so clearance under the tire, and the chain lies loose. What I'm puzzled about is that the rear wheel does not freely move? I turned on the key which indicates the bike is in neutral. I also have the front tire choked with blocks and also have the brake locked and this raises another question. Does having the brake on affect just the front tire/wheel, or possibly the drive train itself? I’m 68 and am pursuing this to reduce a lot of hopping on, hopping off if you know what I’m talking about. I'm aware of the safety precautions having a 500 lb. bike even just 1/2 inch off the ground in the rear, but please know I am totally focussed on what I am doing, I'm trying to be safe as I possibly can, and would use something safer (and more expensive) if I could afford it. hank you for allowing me to share my dilemma, and I sure do appreciate any ideas, comments, or advice you may have! Thank you again. Peter Kalispell, Montana

·
Registered
204 Posts
I thought the parking brake only affects the rear wheel? Check page 31 of your owner's manual. Also this suggestion on clamping down the front brake:

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Good advice from the two members above, Peter. I installed a T-Rex Racing center stand for chain maintenance. If you do a forum search, you'll find several threads to help installation and use. Good luck, and be safe.

Reactions: 350Four

·
Registered
CTX700DN 2014
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good advice from the two members above, Peter. I installed a T-Rex Racing center stand for chain maintenance. If you do a forum search, you'll find several threads to help installation and use. Good luck, and be safe.

Hi Professor! This is awesome, thank you sooo much! I'll try my 'MacGyver' set-up and if I feel in anyway it's not safe, I'm going to go the route you did! Did you find it on Amazon or buy direct from T-Rex? Thanks again for responding!
-Peter

·
Registered
CTX700DN 2014
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought the parking brake only affects the rear wheel? Check page 31 of your owner's manual. Also this suggestion on clamping down the front brake:
Thank you Dave! I don't know why I assumed the brake affected the front wheel, the manual clearly states, "Pull the parking brake lever back to lock the rear wheel." I appreciate your time getting back! Have a great rest of your weekend!

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I bought it from T-Rex, Peter.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
I "second" the Professor. T-Rexracing; made in USA & shipping included. Parking brake, for DCT models only, should lock rear wheel. Note, w/DCT, switch to neutral before engine shut off.;)

·
Registered
CTX700DN 2014
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct, I did check the manual as well and there it was, clear as daylight, brake-lock stops the rear wheel, my bad - should have done more homework before throwing it out there... Take care!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You can use "3 points" to jack up the rear. I do it all the time. Simply put your kick stand down, turn handle bars to left all the way, (optional lock the front wheel your choice, not all do, you can use a piece of Velcro wrapped around lever), put your scissor/flat jack under shock, lift until rear just off ground. Bike will perch on front wheel, jack and kickstand fine. There is even an accessory called Snap jack that can put you bike up like this quick and easily.

Also, please don't start the engine and engage tranny to spin rear wheel, do it by hand. I had a friend almost loose a couple of fingers doing it when he instinctively reached in to grab the straw off the spray can when it came off in chain. Better to be safe.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have not gone the center stand route yet because of concerns about being able to lift the bike onto the stand. My temporary solution for chain cleaning has been the Harbor Freight wheel cleaning (roller) stand. Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand It works well for me, easy to spin the rear wheel while on the side stand, stable with a piece of plywood under the front wheel and the side stand to balance the increased height of the rear wheel on the roller. I know it is used by many others for chain maintenance. Just a reminder to those looking for an alternative to the center stand.

·
Registered
CTX700DN 2014
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not gone the center stand route yet because of concerns about being able to lift the bike onto the stand. My temporary solution for chain cleaning has been the Harbor Freight wheel cleaning (roller) stand. Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand It works well for me, easy to spin the rear wheel while on the side stand, stable with a piece of plywood under the front wheel and the side stand to balance the increased height of the rear wheel on the roller. I know it is used by many others for chain maintenance. Just a reminder to those looking for an alternative to the center stand.
Wowser!!! I had no idea such a thing even existed! Thank you so much. This is the least expensive item i've heard of yet that resolves chain maintenance without repetitive moving and hopping on / hopping off the bike! My back is thanking you X 100
So I picture you maintaining your chain using this stand with just your kickstand down... Is there anything else about your stand that you've learned that maybe you can share before I run out the door to buy one :D Thanks - a million RB!
-Peter in Montana

·
Registered
64 Posts
There was a small learning curve for me to get the rear wheel centered on the roller as it leans on the side stand. I also was a little concerned with the extra lean to the left with the rear wheel on the roller and the side stand down. I solved this with elevating the front wheel by rolling it onto a piece of plywood and also placing a similar thickness of plywood under the side stand. I sit on a low rolling stool to clean the chain and then push the stool behind the rear wheel, reach low on each side with my hands and give a little pull. I'm also 68 and find it easier to rotate the wheel in this sitting position than standing and bending over at the waist to rotate the wheel. It does take a little "umph" to turn the wheel on the roller so you may have to find the most convenient position to get the most leverage with least pull on your back. I found the stool easier than standing. Kneeling also gives good leverage if you can get down there without too much trouble. After using the roller several times I don't even think about needing the center stand just for cleaning and lubing the chain.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have a similar tool that I used with my Vulcan 500. Made life a lot easier than having to spray the chain, roll it down the driveway a bit, spray some more and repeat... I love my centre stand!!

·
Registered
CTX700DN 2014
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That former routine you mentioned 'rolling bike down the driveway'... was exactly what I was doing. I went ahead and got the stand today, it's brilliant. I googled our local store, the link confirmed they had a stand in stock and sure enough, there were three sitting on the shelf when I arrived... Thanks again!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the Harbor Freight thing and wish I'd read your suggestion about raising the front wheel when you use it. At any rate, chain lubing is a breeze with the center stand. I bought some flex tube and made a wand to get the spray precisely where it should go.

·
Registered
CTX700DN 2014
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can use "3 points" to jack up the rear. I do it all the time. Simply put your kick stand down, turn handle bars to left all the way, (optional lock the front wheel your choice, not all do, you can use a piece of Velcro wrapped around lever), put your scissor/flat jack under shock, lift until rear just off ground. Bike will perch on front wheel, jack and kickstand fine. There is even an accessory called Snap jack that can put you bike up like this quick and easily.

Also, please don't start the engine and engage tranny to spin rear wheel, do it by hand. I had a friend almost loose a couple of fingers doing it when he instinctively reached in to grab the straw off the spray can when it came off in chain. Better to be safe.
Sorry it's taken so long to reply vic - I"m still getting acquainted navigating my way 'round the Forum... I'd seen a video showing the '3 points' and actually went to our local Harbor Freight store and got their MC Stand, it works great and though there's always a chance for an injury, it's quite safe if a person takes their time and doesn't engage the drive train as you mentioned!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts