CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Riding yesterday and as I was exiting a parking lot I noticed a narrow trail of oil and could see it terminated in a remote parking spot occupied by a Suzuki crotch-rocket parked over a puddle of oil with a 6” piece of chain dangling. I examined it and could see most of the chain bunched up near the drive sprocket and an obvious hole punched in the engine by the chain tangle. I imagine the owner is looking at some VERY expensive & extensive repairs, possibly a new engine.
My observation and the experience of a friend who had the same experience, reinforces my opinion that a little added attention to the drive chain is probably time well spent. Lack of attention can result in some VERY unwanted problems. When a chain breaks, assuming you don’t crash, it will usually punch a hole in the crankcase when the loose chain bunches up at the drive sprocket.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Horrible story about the Suzuki bike, very dangerous. A clean and lubed chain adjusted with correct slack will extend life of chain and sprockets. Follow owner or service manual instructions. Their are also some very helpful hints and tips on YouTube how to maintain motorcycle chains. The condition of the chain and sprockets should be inspected often, a very important part of a motorcycle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts