CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading one of the mags that did a long term test on a NX 700 and was surprised as they were that the chain was kinked and shot at 10k miles. The CTX uses the same engine and drive train..... anyone else had any chain issues? Yes they lubed it.

I have worn out several chains in my 40 years of riding different bikes, i usually get 20-25 k miles out of a quality chain that is taken care of. BTW i only used WD-40 for about 15 years now. I lube my chains about every 400 miles if ridden in the rain the following day.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I hope they last longer than that. Got over 30k miles on my original chain on the Vulcan 500.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm having a tough time this winter maintaining the chain on rainy days. No daylight outside of work hours. Thinking about switching to maintaining it during lunch hour at work. Not riding on rainy days is not an option. I bought this bike to ride; chain be damned. Got gear and don't want to waste that expense either.

I hope my slight neglect lately doesn't cause pre mature chain wear. It's my first chain-driven bike, so I really won't know how well I'm doing cleaning and lubing until I have a worn out chain. Still trying to get a good routine down and learning how much lube to use and how often.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm having a tough time this winter maintaining the chain on rainy days. No daylight outside of work hours. Thinking about switching to maintaining it during lunch hour at work. Not riding on rainy days is not an option. I bought this bike to ride; chain be damned. Got gear and don't want to waste that expense either.

I hope my slight neglect lately doesn't cause pre mature chain wear. It's my first chain-driven bike, so I really won't know how well I'm doing cleaning and lubing until I have a worn out chain. Still trying to get a good routine down and learning how much lube to use and how often.
I had good luck with chain life by cleaning with kerosene and lubing with a good chain lube every 400 miles or after I rode it in rain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GR, good to know my 500 has a little over 22k now chain still has some life left.

The question was not about chains in general, but how this motorcycle wears them or the quality of the stock chain based on a motorcycle mags report. ;)

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I am right at 2905 miles. I use second trip odometer to measure chain miles since last lube. I do it about every 300 miles using o-ring safe lube from walmart. I don't ride on gravel dusty roads so chain does not get really gritty.

I am still at the factory setting without any adjustments. I don't think 15-20k will be any problem reaching. Sure there will be some loose and tight spots by then. Chains wear unevenly and each rider is different at to how much force the chain sees. There will be those who get less and those who get more. When you replace yours for the first time you will know where you fit. My VFR with 100+ HP had 28k on a DID X-Ring chain. Granted it was a larger link chain.

Reactions: fjones

·
Registered
6 Posts
First post for me. As you can see from my signature, I have many bikes in my garage. Most are chain drive. I use this product:

If you do searches in many other forums, you will find that this product is widely used. The days of sticky, waxy, nasty lubes that get all over your wheels are far behind us. I've used it on my bikes and if it makes the big chain on my B-King quiet and looking new at 18,000 miles when that baby is putting 181hp to the ground, then it should be awesome for the CTX. You can get it at Lowes for about $6/can.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
First post for me. As you can see from my signature, I have many bikes in my garage. Most are chain drive. I use this product:

If you do searches in many other forums, you will find that this product is widely used. The days of sticky, waxy, nasty lubes that get all over your wheels are far behind us. I've used it on my bikes and if it makes the big chain on my B-King quiet and looking new at 18,000 miles when that baby is putting 181hp to the ground, then it should be awesome for the CTX. You can get it at Lowes for about $6/can.
Weolcome ReedMan71!

That is all I ever use too! I have had many years, miles and bikes also! People think way to much into chains. Interesting fact here, I have never cleaned a chain and I never will! Yeah, I will get some flak for saying it, but experience out rules whatever you may read. All I do is coat more of the posted wax as needed. It lubes, seals and blocks contaminants.

Of every chain drive, I have only had one issue with a chain. One link was cracked and the other half was still working fine. I caught it during a chain inspection cause it was near end of life anyway and it was still operable even then. Of course I didn't ride it until it was fixed. And that was a high dollar aftermarket chain to begin with.

Any easy way to tell chain life is not looking at the chain, but is looking at the sprockets. You should change your prockets along with your chain. At least every chain change or every second chain change, depends on sprocket condition. Sprocket teeth get pointed and rounded, creating less grip, more slip and in tern ruins a chain fast. Most chains are sold in kits with sprockets.

Just like most things too, it depends how you ride. If you ride it hard, your going to wear the parts faster. Ride more easy, the parts will last longer.

If you go the old fashioned method of using an oil for lube, your not really gaining anything but more work. Oil flings, seeps and dilutes. You have to oil often, about everytime it gets wet and you will have to clean often cause oil attracts dirt.

By The Way - WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant, so don't use it as one! You can use it to clean, but not to lube!

Remember to lube as needed, there is no certian milage/time to go by. The book is a guide for people to fall back on who don't pay attention closely. Weather, time, terrian and use all effect when to do so.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had a V Strom for 100000 miles or 7 years until I traded it for a CTX700 DCT. The chains on the
vstrom would last 25-30,000 miles. Lubed at every fill up or 225 miles. Had a center stand so lubing was very easy. The CTX is more difficult because the chain is more covered up. I bought a Loobman chain oiler and it is the best thing I have done for me and the bike. Just push a button, once in a while, or when the rollers get shiney, and ride. I live on a sandy road, and with the Loobman, the chain stays pretty clean. A lot cleaner than with any aerosol lube. I have never cleaned a chain. I used to put some gear lube on once in awhile and that would clean the chain. Now the wax free oil keeps the chain clean enough. 3500 miles and only adjusted because I took the rear wheel of to adjust the shock. Should have got a chain oiler, years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
I have a question about chains and hope this is as good a place to put it. How does someone really know when it is time to replace a chain?

As for the lube I use the Honda lube that turns white when I spray it on. I have about 3400 miles and everything looks good and there isn't much play in the chain so I'm guessing it is still good.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
I have a question about chains and hope this is as good a place to put it. How does someone really know when it is time to replace a chain?
There is more then one way for a chain to be bad first of all.
Cracks, broken places, stiff places, loose places, rattling, horizontal movement, slip around sprocket/s (check sprocket closely too) and of course the least of all, chain stretch. All are subject for a chain change.

Chain stretch happens, but shouldn't happen much. If it happens to much, one or more of the other possible ways will quickly appear too. I would say overall, anymore then .25-.5 inch total adjustment in it's total life should require a new chain.

Sounds like alot of work to inspect, but it just takes a couple minutes. Only needs to be done periodically, not all the time. Such as oil changes, once a year, etc. Again it all depends on it's life and how it has been treated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chain Life

I'm up to 10k and have not had to adjust the chain once, the dealer could not believe it. I use Liquid Wrench Chain Lube about every 500 miles. If you want to minimize lube fling, lube and let sit for 12 -24 hrs before riding. The mechanic said at this rate, the chain should last 15 - 20K no problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been hearing good reports on the Liquid Wrench Chain Lube from people. I personally use Dupont Chain Saver myself as it's been tried and proven every 500 miles. Over-cleaning with harsh chemicals is what typically shortens the life of O ring chains. Instead of using complicated automatic oilers, just keep your chain lubed every 500 miles and clean lightly when/if needed. That's probably why you have gone 10k without any major adjustment, but I'm sure it's towards the top end of the range. KISS.

·
Registered
585 Posts
i like wax

i like the wax oring chain lube

$6 at walmart dupont... even though i hate walmart in general for most stuff.

• I have been hearing good reports on the Liquid Wrench Chain Lube from people. I personally use Dupont Chain Saver myself as it's been tried and proven every 500 miles. Over-cleaning with harsh chemicals is what typically shortens the life of O ring chains. Instead of using complicated automatic oilers, just keep your chain lubed every 500 miles and clean lightly when/if needed. That's probably why you have gone 10k without any major adjustment, but I'm sure it's towards the top end of the range. KISS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts