CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I think time has come, I am closing in on 22K miles on the bike and the last time chains were replaced was 5K. I keep fairly good chain maintenance but I noticed a kink in one chain the other day and its about time to do a replacement especially after riding for three years in NYC.

Now I need some help I guess, the first is do I need any special equipment to do this? Is it just removing the panel to get to the front sprocket, undoing it, taking off the chain and then removing the rear sprocket and then mounting the new parts? Is there anything else I should be aware of when doing this?

Secondly, what do I buy? Ive been told that I should buy OEM for the front sprocket but the back can be anything (where would I even find this) ? Any chain suggestions? Ive heard about O-rings and X rings but I dont really know the difference.

Edit*
DCT Model 2014

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm away from my home but if you can wait until next week i've got an OEM set of sprockets for the manual model and the chain that needs a home. Is yours manual or DCT, the rear sprockets are different.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm away from my home but if you can wait until next week i've got an OEM set of sprockets for the manual model and the chain that needs a home. Is yours manual or DCT, the rear sprockets are different.
Damn mine is the DCT model, I forgot to mention it in my post. Is the front sprocket different or just the rear and the chain?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I believe (which means i could be wrong) that only the rear sprocket is different. Pretty sure there are threads here to confirm that.

You can get used parts from ebay.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Plenty of good info in the service manual page 1-10, 3-13 / 15. I used a D.I.D KM500R cut and rivet tool, a digital slide caliper to measure the pin depth and flare diameter and also a torque wrench to tighten the sprocket nuts to spec. Page 12-3, 12-48 say “Be sure to use recommended tires and specified drive and driven sprocket to operate the dual clutch transmission system normally. Changing the sprocket sizes, top of page 12-48 could result in throwing a DTC 65-1 “Front and rear wheel signal malfunction”. Sprocket sizes are listed in the owner’s manual. I installed a DID VX3 X’ ring Chain (800cc rated).
http://www.greenknights36.com/html/files/Pictures/Temp/ServiceManual.pdf

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
85 Posts
I also have a 2014 DCT. Two years ago I purchased the following chain on Amazon and sprockets from JT Sprockets:

D.I.D 520VO X 112 520VO Pro V Series O-Ring Chain - 112 Links , Chain Application: Street, Chain Length: 112, Chain Type: 520 ($59)

JT Sprockets (#JTF1373-16) 520 Pitch Chromoly-Steel Front Sprocket - SELECT TOOTH SIZE - 16 Tooth ($23)

JT Sprockets (#JTR1316-39) 520 Pitch Steel Rear Sprocket - HONDA - SELECT TOOTH SIZE - 39 Tooth ($33)

At 15k miles, my sprockets looked great, so I decided to only replace the chain at that point. I plan to replace the sprockets with my next chain replacement. Note - common advice is to replace the sprockets when you replace the chain because worn sprockets will reduce the life of the new chain.

The new chain came with a link and clip. Riveting the link than using the clip is better but that requires special tools. I inspect the link regularly when oiling the chain and haven't noticed any sign of clip movement or failure.

Reactions: TLeventry

·
Registered
372 Posts
So I think time has come, I am closing in on 22K miles on the bike and the last time chains were replaced was 5K. I keep fairly good chain maintenance but I noticed a kink in one chain the other day and its about time to do a replacement especially after riding for three years in NYC.

Now I need some help I guess, the first is do I need any special equipment to do this? Is it just removing the panel to get to the front sprocket, undoing it, taking off the chain and then removing the rear sprocket and then mounting the new parts? Is there anything else I should be aware of when doing this?

Secondly, what do I buy? Ive been told that I should buy OEM for the front sprocket but the back can be anything (where would I even find this) ? Any chain suggestions? Ive heard about O-rings and X rings but I dont really know the difference.

Edit*
DCT Model 2014
I got a "Z" chain for mine with the master link. don't use the quick links the can come off and wreak your bike. The "Z " chain is more flexible that the "X" chain and holds lubricant much longer. I love mine. I installed mine at 4000 miles and I have 24000 + on mind now and it is still going strong and I usually ride my bike at hot at high speeds.

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
I got a "Z" chain for mine with the master link. don't use the quick links the can come off and wreak your bike. The "Z " chain is more flexible that the "X" chain and holds lubricant much longer. I love mine. I installed mine at 4000 miles and I have 24000 + on mind now and it is still going strong and I usually ride my bike at hot at high speeds.
Ruby,

Got any links to what you purchased? Are you using an oiler or lubing manually?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts