CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the center stand stop today but a little puzzled.
The picture on the Japanese bike website seems to show the stop bolt making contact with the top flat part of reinforcement piece welded on the stand tubing.

Mine makes contact with the welded area where the reinforcement meets the tubing.
It works okay but doesn't seem right.
I can't see any other way of mounting it.
I tried some pics but they were really dark.
Anyone have any similar results?

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DSC02295 (Copy).JPG

DSC02302 (Copy).JPG

I think I solved my concern.
As I mentioned before, the stop bolt did not contact the stand where I expected it to.
Since it is a rare rainy day in Arizona I alternated between laying on the floor looking at the stop and my cabinet with a buch of misc. hardware accumulated over the years.
Found some 1.5 inch washers so I stacked 3 on the bolt and installed the bolt.
Looks like it should work fine.
Hopefully the pictures will show the results.

·
Registered
47 Posts
okay, so if I order the stand and the stop from the same site and dig up some washers from my junk drawer I'll have the same thing as you Vulcan? I really want to get this thing before I have to do my first oil change :) Thanks for the pictures!

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dolfin, you will have the same thing.
Although you really don't need the center stand to do the oil change.
I did mine with the sidestand, just stood the bike up to make sure the oil drained out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed the center stand this week, ordered from Japan, but passed on the stop. I thought I'd save the $35 and fabricate a stop as shown elsewhere on the forum. After about 3 uses, the stop I'd installed was sufficiently bent the spring loop was hitting the bracket before the rubber bumper could contact the stop. I fabricated a second, shorter bracket to align with spring loop. Still bent up easily. Third try was a charm (I think). I installed a straight strap which extends down and slightly forward from the dogbone bolt and hits the bottom tube between the stand legs. I actually re-used the original bracket flipped around. If it lasts more than a few operations, I may make it a little prettier and might add a bumper to the bottom.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Third try was a charm (I think). I installed a straight strap which extends down and slightly forward from the dogbone bolt and hits the bottom tube between the stand legs. I actually re-used the original bracket flipped around. If it lasts more than a few operations, I may make it a little prettier and might add a bumper to the bottom.
I'm going to face this task in a week or so, and if you could post some pictures it would help me a lot. TIA

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I would recommend just buying the stop with the stand. Since my original posting on this topic my L bracket bent. I got another hardened steel L bracket and rotated it and it works fine. By the time I add my time and gas I would just but the stop and be done with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
If anyone is going to order this stop, keep me in mind. Perhaps we could order 2 and split the shipping cost. Plus the postage to me. .??

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
If anyone is going to order this stop, keep me in mind. Perhaps we could order 2 and split the shipping cost. Plus the postage to me. .??
Unfortunately when you increase the quantity the shipping cost is increased but with a small discount. If there was a large enough order the discount would be enough but it would have to be 5 or more then there would be the additional cost of shipping to the member in the US from the original shipment. So by the time all shipping is added it would not be worth the efforts...but it was a good idea and something I also considered when I saw what the cost would be. That is why when my metal bracket bent a went with another hardened steel in another position. I had a hard time paying 55 bucks for the stop. That is why I highly recommend buying it WITH the center stand initial order now.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for all the info! This will be a job the hubs will be doing especially if he runs into anny difficulty with oil changes :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks CEETEEX for recommending to buy stop along with stand at same time, it's exactly what I did today. Ride Safe.
Robert

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Good deal. I am off to the big box store today to add a cheap piece of equipment to improve my use of the Center Stand. I will post a thread if it all works out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts