CTX 700 Forum banner
641 - 660 of 666 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Not sure if this would work on the T Rex spring but may be worth a try. I have the Honda stand and used the ratchet strap method. T Rex may have run into supplier issues and are using a different supplier without testing the installation of the new spring. I would contact them with the issue and ask if they could update the YouTube video with installing the new spring. They may find that they can’t install it either.
My Trick for center stand spring

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
this has been posted several times before, even on this thread. I watched it and installed my WeBikes centerstand. It is really quite easy. The way this guy "Macgyver'd" it is ingenius. so, here is the video, from one of our CTX brothers in Austrailia.
Follow the instructions he shows, and you'll have success every time. I've done it on two CTX's
installing centerstand on ctx700 - Google Search

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
680 Posts
Well, I tried to install the centerstand today... failed like a failing failure at getting the spring on... and strategically quit before I lost a limb or something. I guess my local bike mechanic is gonna have to put that spring on.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Well, I tried to install the centerstand today... failed like a failing failure at getting the spring on... and strategically quit before I lost a limb or something. I guess my local bike mechanic is gonna have to put that spring on.
I was able to get my very strong step-son to put mine on after i struggled with my spring for an hour. Perhaps the most intriguing solution I heard of was to put the end of the spring in a vise, then bend it and partially insert quarters (or washers) between the coils to extend it. Then put the bike up on the stand, and install the spring vertically by puling out the quarters one by one. You might try that first before going to the bike mechanic. Good luck. The stand works well though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not worth "losing a limb"... sorry to hear it didn't go well. That spring is a real chore, but with a ratchet strap you can take your time with it. It took me a while to come up with a technique to line it up with that second post... like a time or two or twenty. Good to keep your local bike mechanic working.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
Just do yourself the favor of wearing some decent leather gloves and eye protection.

It's really more about technique than strength.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
680 Posts
That spring is a real chore, but with a ratchet strap you can take your time with it.
I tried the ratchet strap (that was plan B... plan A was the fulcrum method, but I didn't have the clearance on my garage floor to use my screwdriver). Plan B couldn't get a good purchase on the swingarm, and was literally tearing up the strap, stitch by stitch. I might try the quarters method... plan C... though I'm not sure how well I can do that with T-Rex's 2-spring system.

And then, there's plan D...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I tried the ratchet strap (that was plan B... plan A was the fulcrum method, but I didn't have the clearance on my garage floor to use my screwdriver). Plan B couldn't get a good purchase on the swingarm, and was literally tearing up the strap, stitch by stitch. I might try the quarters method... plan C... though I'm not sure how well I can do that with T-Rex's 2-spring system.

And then, there's plan D...
Is this the Honda version with an inside tube or the T-Rex using two bolts on either side? Using the Honda variant sliding the inside tube 3/4 of the way in, then laying the springs in place allowed me to reach underneath... pushing the tube in and aligning the remain hole using the foot of the stand itself with the other hand. I was fully intending to stop and ask for friends to help if it seemed dangerous... but without any stress at all it was simple to do and did not seem dangerous in any way
Automotive exterior Luggage and bags Camera accessory Tool Bag

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
680 Posts
I'm working with the T-Rex version, so no inside tube and a double-spring to work with... guess I should'a bought the Honda version. Anyway, when I get a chance later this week, I'll see if I can get another method to work. I have a plan... either it works, and I'll report from my garage... or it won't, and I may report from a hospital bed...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm working with the T-Rex version, so no inside tube and a double-spring to work with... guess I should'a bought the Honda version. Anyway, when I get a chance later this week, I'll see if I can get another method to work. I have a plan... either it works, and I'll report from my garage... or it won't, and I may report from a hospital bed...
The Honda version uses the double spring set, I was quite surprised when it was so simple to slip the tube in place but the stand leg had very strong leverage. The shock replacement went easy, much easier than I had been anticipating.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Yellow

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are several ways to make installing a center stand spring (or pretty much any extension spring) EASY!

PLAN A: Find a way to stretch the spring and then shove washers, pennies or even nails into the spring when extended. When you release the tension the spring will effectively be longer and a relatively simple install. Just hook it up and pull out the spacers you used.
PLAN B: You can hook up the springs and then hook a ratchet strap through the center stand and around the back wheel and simple ratchet the tension needed to insert the hinge bolts.

A ratchet strap will work to stretch the spring, you just have to be creative and find sturdy attaching points for the spring and the ratchet strap. Hook one end of the spring to something secure that can withstand a few hundred pounds of pressure. Hook one end of a ratchet strap the spring and the other end to something secure and a quality ratchet will extend the spring with very little effort. Tie downs in trailers work as anchors as do a hundred other things. You can find anchor points on the motorcycle as well, if you have few options available, you can lay under the bike and loop ratchet straps around each wheel and hook the spring in the middle.
You’ll make what you assumed was a miserable job into a simple task. It just takes a few moments to set it up. Use common sense and WEAR SAFETY GLASSES, and / or a face shield. If you don’t have those put on your old motorcycle helmet and close the visor!
(I’ve even used my auto dark welding helmet for face/eye protection.)

Springs can become projectiles and if you mess up the sound of it pinging off your helmet is sure better than it smacking you in the head, face or eyes!
Automotive fuel system Light Automotive tire Black Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Coil spring Automotive tire Gas Machine
Coil spring Office supplies Bicycle part Auto part Metal

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Gas Bumper

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
680 Posts
You can find anchor points on the motorcycle as well, if you have few options available, you can lay under the bike and loop ratchet straps around each wheel and hook the spring in the middle.
That's something I didn't think of. I tried ratcheting against the end of the swingarm, as the video showed, but it kept slipping and tearing up the strap stitching. Back wheel sounds do-able.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
680 Posts
Well, I tried running the ratchet strap to the back wheel. The small inner spring went on easy.

The big spring busted the ratchet strap. (Last time I buy one of those from Home Depot. Shoulda known better.) Done for today.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
680 Posts
Well, I gave up and took Serenity to my friendly neighborhood Cyclemax. They looked at it and figured it would take them a few minutes. In the end, it took 3 of the mechanics and half an hour to get that furshlugginer double-spring on. It was worth the $50 and profuse thanks I gave them!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well, I gave up and took Serenity to my friendly neighborhood Cyclemax. They looked at it and figured it would take them a few minutes. In the end, it took 3 of the mechanics and half an hour to get that furshlugginer double-spring on. It was worth the $50 and profuse thanks I gave them!
End result: it's on. (y) The only upside of doing it myself: I learned new combinations of swear words. I already know all the swear words, just stayed at it long enough to put together new combinations.

641 - 660 of 666 Posts