CTX 700 Forum banner
621 - 640 of 666 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just installed mine yesterday and it is super solid. Overall very easy to install with the exception of the spring. Here is a video of the install.
Thanks for the video. I will purchase and install the T. rex center stand and post photos here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am old enough (74) to remember when almost ALL motorcycles came with a center stand.
When did this practice stop? I have just recently joined the forum and am looking for my first CTX700,
and was extremely surprised to see it has no center stand. And putting on that spring is a task in itself
after watching some videos.
Thanks to all for their input.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did the webike stand and stopper this year and am very happy with it. With this stand you definately need the stopper. Also be aware the instructions arrive in Japanese, but the pics are not too hard to follow :)

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
86 Posts
And putting on that spring is a task in itself
after watching some videos.
I also bought my stand and stopper from Webike Japan and added a rubber cushion to the stopper bolt. I installed the stand spring by using a rachet strap to install the spring. Easy. Worked great. The center stand has been the best mod to my bike I've made so far. The stand allows me to remove the wheels, oil the chain, and replace the chain.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought the center stand from T-Rex Racing; it is designed for the CTX. Here's my process...

One last thing to do to the CTX to get it set up the way I want: install a center stand. T-Rex Racing makes one that is designed for the bike. Even so, with the tight clearance, low height (working on it in our daughter's garage, on the floor), and two really strong springs, I expected it to be a pain in the butt... it exceeded my expectations.

I thought that install would be a pain in the butt...

[IMG]

With my wife's help on the last part, we got it done. She also contributed the solution to lining up the springs on the post... she is as smart as she is pretty. (Can't say the same for me... I'm resigned to just being a pretty face... a trophy husband.)

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
680 Posts
The more I see about this procedure... the more it scares the bejeezus outta me. I may just have a shop do it. EDIT: Well, the installation video gave me a bit more confidence to try it. Maybe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The more I see about this procedure... the more it scares the bejeezus outta me. I may just have a shop do it. EDIT: Well, the installation video gave me a bit more confidence to try it. Maybe.
There is nothing technical or mechanical about it, just fitting the center stand into a tight spot and having to snug a couple bolts by feel. The spring is a pain, but is more about learning a technique that works: for me, I attached a ratchet strap to the swingarm and put a loop of line on the end of the spring to attach it to the hook on the ratchet strap. What finally worked in the alignment was my wife's suggestion of putting a line on the ratchet strap and having her pull that from the other side of the bike to line up the hooks on the spring with the post.

I had to work on this on the floor of our daughter's garage, so that's a pain for these creaky old bones. It would have been much easier to put the bike on a work stand.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
680 Posts
It would have been much easier to put the bike on a work stand.
Yup, I don't have a work stand either, so I'll be on the floor with you. But I saw in the video the mechanic using a bar as a lever to stretch and place the end of the spring, and I think I can manage that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yup, I don't have a work stand either, so I'll be on the floor with you. But I saw in the video the mechanic using a bar as a lever to stretch and place the end of the spring, and I think I can manage that.
I saw that same video. I thought those same thoughts. The springs laughed at me. I'm not saying it isn't possible, 'cause we both saw it in a video... just saying I couldn't do it. I used a small pry bar and the spring said, "Nice try puny human." It didn't laugh when I hooked up the ratchet strap. Patience is a virtue... I am not particularly virtuous.

Step #6 (also the final step) in the T-Rex instructions: "Install springs."

I thought to myself: "Self, that seems easy enough." Let us know how it works for you. Today, I lubed and cleaned the chain and checked oil... without my wife holding the bike up. Whooohooo! Yeah, it's worth the effort.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ha ha! I may call in my ex-football-playing brother to give me a hand! I pulled the trigger and ordered it, so I'll let you know!
In spite of the contortions I had to get into to get the job done, it is worth the effort. I am surprised that Honda did not put a center stand on this bike from the get-go. The T-Rex version looks good and works like you'd expect. If your brother has big hands, he may have a problem getting the nut on the bolt on the right side... a 17mm wrench and a deep socket on the other side is handy. And one more tip: on that right side, thread the bolt from the inside to the outside so you don't have to remove the exhaust. The only piece I took off was a cover plate on the left side (2 hex screws - it will be obvious), so I could see better as I was fitting the center stand in place.

Enjoy the benefits of the center stand when you get it installed!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
In spite of the contortions I had to get into to get the job done, it is worth the effort. I am surprised that Honda did not put a center stand on this bike from the get-go. The T-Rex version looks good and works like you'd expect. If your brother has big hands, he may have a problem getting the nut on the bolt on the right side... a 17mm wrench and a deep socket on the other side is handy. And one more tip: on that right side, thread the bolt from the inside to the outside so you don't have to remove the exhaust. The only piece I took off was a cover plate on the left side (2 hex screws - it will be obvious), so I could see better as I was fitting the center stand in place.

Enjoy the benefits of the center stand when you get it installed!
Way to go(y) I thought the same thing about Honda. When I learned that a centerstand was available & the frame was made to accommodate one...bingo, (my last bike with a centerstand was my '02 Kawi 750 Vulcan).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the video. I will purchase and install the T. rex center stand and post photos here.
Great video! I just (April 2022) installed the T-Rex centerstand on my 2014 CTX700N, and the spring was different. Your spring has a short end and a long end with more coils. My spring had fewer coils centered between to long ends. I'll try to post pics later FWIW.

The spring was nearly impossible to install. I used straps rated at 900 pounds and the ratcheting mechanism would not tighten enough to pull the strap back because the lever started to bend. I upgraded to bigger straps rated for 2700 pounds. I connected the other end to a car. As we started to tighten the strap, it started to drag the bike backwards. We piled sandbags behind the back wheel of the bike in addition to having a friend hold and steady the bike to prevent it from sliding back. As we began tightening the strap in this configuration, it literally started dragging the car on the pavement toward the bike before the spring reached far enough. After chocking the wheels on the car we were able to fit the spring. I think this is a ridiculous amount of effort to install an accessory. After installation the stand seems to work normally but due to (IMHO) poor engineering and their misleading installation video, I cant recommend the T-Rex stand.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I still would recommend the T-Rex center stand, with the understanding that the spring is going to be a pain in the butt. You could take it to a motorcycle shop to have it installed, but I prefer to do my own work as much as possible. The spring may be more force than is necessary, but you sure don't want that center stand coming down on you when riding. In T-Rex Racing's installation instructions, they say it should be installed by a service technician; probably covering their butt for liability. If I took this to my local Honda shop, I think I'd bring a dozen donuts along so they can enjoy a treat afterwards. ;-)

I didn't take photos or shoot video of the install... no one needs to hear that kind of language. Kidding; I was working on it by myself until the last few minutes, when I needed some "side pull" to align the spring hook on the post. I still think it would be much easier with the bike on a work stand.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
680 Posts
FWIW, here's T-Rex's installation video. Pay attention to the 1.45 minute mark, where it shows the way they recommend to place the spring.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The spring on my T-Rex looks different from the one in the video, and was not as close to the post on the stand when not stretched - at least twice that distance, and no way to stretch it into place with a small pry bar.

621 - 640 of 666 Posts