CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a center stand and stopper from Webike thanks to the help of @CEETEEX. I ordered these items on September 23 and Webike shipped them on Sept. 24. All is well. They arrived in Canada on Sept. 26. Again, all is good.
Now, it's Oct. 12 and my package is still at Canada customs according to the tracking number. Day after day I check and there's just no movement.
There doesn't seem to be any way of contacting Canada Post and I hesitate to contact Webike because the tracking number is still valid. I want my centerstand!!!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I can only wish you good luck! I'm glad I have mine and have no problem getting my CTX up on it. Great for cleaning my chain, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I would contact Webike and the Canadian customs authorities. Items are usually set aside by customs if they are on a list of banned items or items required to pay a tariff before entering a country. They can also be randomly selected for review. Its important to know which one to determine your best recourse. Webike can usually help in these matters dependent on the circumstances. I know of another member who had the same issue and eventually received his center stand after waiting several months for it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I ordered a center stand and stopper from Webike thanks to the help of @CEETEEX. I ordered these items on September 23 and Webike shipped them on Sept. 24. All is well. They arrived in Canada on Sept. 26. Again, all is good.
Now, it's Oct. 12 and my package is still at Canada customs according to the tracking number. Day after day I check and there's just no movement.
There doesn't seem to be any way of contacting Canada Post and I hesitate to contact Webike because the tracking number is still valid. I want my centerstand!!!
No worry.Its take time.I wait for my order also more than I think and in the end I paid for custom around 30$(Canadian) in post office.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Make sure they sent you the right stand, I suspect at least some of us were given the wrong one even though myself I ordered off the info CEETEX gave us.

·
Super Moderator
6,205 Posts
THE UNDERLYING QUESTION IS STILL...
Why doesn't Honda make a center stand for the CTX. Even the Harley Street 750 has a factory part # for a center stand. Which BTW- only takes about 15 minutes (open the package, get tools, install, put away tools, throw away package, wash hands) to install. You would think that a bike as popular as the CTX would have this as an option.
For one, at little as you may like to hear this, the CTX isn't that popular. The Shadow is considered a popular bike.

#2 and most important. When you install this, it is not designed completely right, it can/could easily fail. Design flaws and extra costs is the main reasons why it is not added.

·
Registered
699 Posts
#2 and most important. When you install this, it is not designed completely right, it can/could easily fail. Design flaws and extra costs is the main reasons why it is not added.
The stand was designed for the Honda NC700S, a bike that's not sold in North America and that's why we can't order the part from our local Honda dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a customs issue that's all. All you can do is wait~
Wouldn't you know it? A day after I made my post, my center stand cleared customs. They had it for over two weeks so it made me wonder. I should have it by mid next week.
I look forward to the install.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For one, at little as you may like to hear this, the CTX isn't that popular. The Shadow is considered a popular bike.

Tell me more, @Rebel13. Are you saying the stands we ordered have a design flaw? And where would the failure be?

·
Super Moderator
6,205 Posts
Tell me more, @Rebel13. Are you saying the stands we ordered have a design flaw? And where would the failure be?
Not the stand itself, but the stand stopping & rebound system a.k.a stopper. The bike wasn't designed for one and the ones sold only partially work. It is flawed and good reason why the bike never made it an option, the bike doesn't provide a good capable stopper system.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine is flawless at 9500 miles. Don't stress over it. Properly installed the stand is a good addition.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
While I don't use the stand almost ever, the stopper and the stand has yet to show any problems like lose bolts or structural problems. It's just too much effort to pull up so I won't use it, if I get rid of it i'll let the next sucker deal with it. The amount of grunt work that went into getting the springs on, I can't be bothered to take it off either.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While I don't use the stand almost ever, the stopper and the stand has yet to show any problems like lose bolts or structural problems. It's just too much effort to pull up so I won't use it, if I get rid of it i'll let the next sucker deal with it. The amount of grunt work that went into getting the springs on, I can't be bothered to take it off either.
For some reason I can't trust the side stand. It just seems to lean the bike over so far that it's almost unstable, or at least it feels that way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
While the stand is nowhere near as easy to push up on the CTX compared to my last ride, the BV250, it is not that difficult. I just get the stand touching the ground, level the bike so that it is balanced on the stand, put my 165 lbs of weight down on my right foot and pull up a bit on the grab bars. Pops up and locks every time.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
While the stand is nowhere near as easy to push up on the CTX compared to my last ride, the BV250, it is not that difficult. I just get the stand touching the ground, level the bike so that it is balanced on the stand, put my 165 lbs of weight down on my right foot and pull up a bit on the grab bars. Pops up and locks every time.
I weigh 220 at 6'0 and still can't do it, so perhaps you are a superhero in disguise. :D
The mechanic who worked on the bike after I first installed it had a lot of trouble too, either way i've wrote it off as a loss.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I weigh 220 at 6'0 and still can't do it, so perhaps you are a superhero in disguise. :D
The mechanic who worked on the bike after I first installed it had a lot of trouble too, either way i've wrote it off as a loss.
Put right foot on center stand step with foot pointing forward, put left hand on left handle bar, put right hand on grab bar, start to stand up on center stand (body weight pushing downwards) and pull up on grab bar! Up she goes!!! :D

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Remember, this bike is considered a cruiser by most accounts and very few cruisers come with or offer center stands as an accessory due to their low ground clearance. Yes HD does sell center stands as an accessory for most of their bikes but HD relies on accessory sales for a big portion of their sales while Honda only sells accessories to get people to buy their motorcycles.

As far as the stand goes, it was designed for the NC700S and NC700X(J) which is the shortened Japanese version. Both these bikes use the exhaust bracket on the right side as the stop for the center stand. Due to the design of the CTX's exhaust and lower ground clearance, this would be impossible. An aftermarket left sided stop must be used to allow the CTX to mount and use the center stand. There's nothing wrong with the design of the stop and many of the motorcycles from the 70's and 80's used the same design straight from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
6,205 Posts
First off, there is no good location on the CTX for a stopper. If you look at the stand and like the rest of them built out there, the impact spot is near the bottom of the stand. Being far out from the center of the pivot is very important. Far out means less stress on impact from releasing the stand or from riding in general(it does bounce at times when you ride). The other important feature is the rubber impact location, again on all center stands. This coushens the blow of impacts, reduce friction and keeps noise down.

Now with the CTX. No proper stoper location. 2, the add on stopper is in a bad location, it is part of a shorter radius, thus increasing the impact every time compared to a farther radius, easily of up to 2-4x's or more. 3, metal on metal contact. Not only do you have more impact, there is zero cushioning of impact.

For honda to install one, it would need a new centerstand designed and that costs money. Then you need a stop location and that is more money. Then you take into account that the CTX isn't popular and that these new parts would not be reusable to any other model, that is money loss. So the real no brainer here is it isn't going to happen!

Centerstands are really a thing of the past on bikes, barely any bikes have them sold today.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts