CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this AM that the Cee Bailey website now has pictures of the recently developed windshield for the CTX, faired model.
You can see them on the Cee Bailey website by clicking on "motorcycle windshields", selecting Honda, then selecting 2013 CTX.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
It's nice to see one has been created. Four photo's of the same angle and a front shot. No side or behind views???

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a picture of the side when I get mine and install it. The "behind" view too.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Price starts out @ $150 plus shipping. When you start adding options though, it begins to add up.

I built a shopping cart with the 21", light gray, with vent and put in my zip code for shipping calculation and got a price total $267 delivered.

21" windshield $150
Light gray tint 20
Vent 75
Shipping 22
Total $267

If one needs and chooses a 23" shield then the price goes up to $287 fully loaded with tinting and vent. Shipping is the same price for all sizes and options in all 48 contiguous states.

On the other end of the price spectrum. If one chooses a 21" windshield, with no tenting and no vent, then the delivered price is $172.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just took a 2000 mile trip with the stock low windshield on my faired version. I've never had a bike with the tall windshield before and living in the Seattle area I've been reluctant to add it because I ride in the rain a lot. However, after going on this long trip and seeing all of the touring bikes out there with tall windscreens I feel like I probably would benefit from anyone. Can someone describe what it's like to ride a bike with a tallish windscreen and what the difference makes? I'm 5',2" and would have to get a custom windscreen so that I don't have to look through the Plexiglas. I would think rain on a full face helmet and a tall windscreen would be a killer. Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just took a 2000 mile trip with the stock low windshield on my faired version. I've never had a bike with the tall windshield before and living in the Seattle area I've been reluctant to add it because I ride in the rain a lot. However, after going on this long trip and seeing all of the touring bikes out there with tall windscreens I feel like I probably would benefit from anyone. Can someone describe what it's like to ride a bike with a tallish windscreen and what the difference makes? I'm 5',2" and would have to get a custom windscreen so that I don't have to look through the Plexiglas. I would think rain on a full face helmet and a tall windscreen would be a killer. Thanks.
I'm 5'3" and I'm able to see over their shortest windshield 21" with an inch or two to spare. It is the difference between holding on tight and relaxing. You wont have the wind hitting your chest pushing you back. Road my bike with the short screen for a couple of weeks and it was a work out.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
For most of us, riding behind a properly designed tall windscreen is the difference between riding for an hour and riding for six. The screen redirects the heavy wind blast away from and around the rider so your body no longer has to fight to maintain its position. The feeling is more like standing into the wind on a breezy day than trying to stand against hurricane force winds. This relieves the muscle soreness associated with this constant struggle. Your neck, back, abdominals, and arms will thank you.

Its also much warmer if you ride in the cold and drier if you ride in the rain for the same reasons. Wind chill can be reduced considerably. Instead of dressing to look like Frosty the snowman, you can reduce your clothing to just a thermal suit or well designed wind proofed coat and regular clothing on most days.

Of all the accessories I've invested in to make my CTX the perfect companion for everyday riding year round, the Ceebailey windscreen ranks #1 in my book. It was a cheap investment for the comfort and protection it brings to fold.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think rain on a full face helmet and a tall windscreen would be a killer. Thanks.
I think you are unnecessarily worried about rain with a full windshield and full face helmet.
With both my big cruisers, the Kawasaki Nomad and the Victory Cross Country Tour, the windshields were tall, gave great protection, and you had to look thru the windshield.
Having ridden both on extended trips with a lot of rain, I found there was no problem with rain and visibility.
The wind pretty much kept the rain off the windshield and in slow going if water drops accumulated on the helmet shield I simply wiped with the built in blade on the glove.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My no.1 reason for having a shield is to cut down on noise. The CB 21" does that very well for me. I couldn't believe how bad the stock short windshield was - it FOCUSSED the airstream onto my head!

Re: visibility. Yes, rain can be a problem, but the worst in my experience is very fine mist. It collects on the shield, but doesn't make large enough drops fast enough to run off, so it's difficult to see. I'm 5'3" and look through the top 2" of shield most of the time, but in situations where it's difficult to see, I simply sit up straighter and I am able to see over the shield.

Gonzo

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Any of the shields sold for the CTX if properly sized will allow you to see over the shield giving you a clear field of vision. Shields are a definite benefit in misty light rains or protection from thrown water coming off the tires of vehicles in front of you. They also do a great job of protecting you from thrown rocks, sand, dirt and bugs. No shield made will protect you from a heavy down pour and visibility through the shield will be your last concern. Seeing through the shield on your helmet will require all your attention.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm 5'3" and I'm able to see over their shortest windshield 21" with an inch or two to spare. It is the difference between holding on tight and relaxing. You wont have the wind hitting your chest pushing you back. Road my bike with the short screen for a couple of weeks and it was a work out.
Crappyco, I'm 5'4"(female) and interested in the 21" Cee Bailey. I also want to be able to see over. You say you're 5'3 and can see over the windshield. Since males usually have a longer torso than females, I was wondering if by chance you're male or female?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm 5 feet 10 inches short waisted and i have the 22 inch cb. like it and i hate it. There is a rolling turbulence that comes down on the top of my helmet, i tried the laminar lip in several locations and that didn't work, i can put my hand over the top of my helmet and it perfect. I guess I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the 24 and then i will be looking through the shield and i really don't want that but on the open hwy that rumble is terrible.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
I'm 5' 10.5" with a 32 inch inseam and I had to install the x-creen because the CB 24 inch shield was still too short. I still look well over the shield. On days without a side wind, it's very quiet behind the shield even at highway speeds.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I couldn't bring myself to spend another 215$ on a 24 so I took the ome short shield and cut it to fit the 22 and bolted it on with a couple #8 screws and fiber lock nuts, if I can figure out how to post pictures I will show you what it looks like.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts