CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the 12V accessory socket and was curious if I can use a battery tender through the socket? Any problems, issues, will it work?

Better options?

·
Registered
157 Posts
It will work if it is connected directly to the battery. However a lot of the 12V sockets are connected via a switch source and requires your key to be switched on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Peter. Do you know if the Honda 12V accessory requires the key to be switched on? I assume so. I am buying the bike tomorrow and the dealer will be installing my accessories. How accessible is the battery, or would it be smart to ask the installers to go ahead and run some wire for easier hookups for a trickle charge? Since I can't bump start the DCT I just want to be prepared. Any issues with jumping the bike from a car?

Really appreciate the feedback, this forum has really helped me make more educated decisions.

·
Banned
463 Posts
The Honda 12 volt accessory is switched on by the ignition key.
Yes, I have one.
With the seat off the battery is readily accessible.
I think you are being too worrisome about a dead battery on the bike. I guess it depends on where you live and how often the bike is ridden. I never have had a dead battery in over 20 years of riding. Never had a DCT bike.....still don't.
Usually motorcycle chargers come with a harness that you can hook up directly to the battery and it has a pigtail that simply is plugged into the charger.

Reactions: chiprussell

·
Registered
157 Posts
@chip. It will be interesting to see where the dealer mounts your accessories outlet.
My dealer in Everett Washington mounted it in the storage compartment above the gas tank cap from the side. It requires the sub assembly 08A70-MJF-A00 which I am still trying to locate.
Back in Vancouver Canada when I had the battery tenderer installed, they attached it directly to the battery and let the quick connect hang on the left side of the motorcycle under the seat.
In addition to using the quick connect to charge my battery, I also use it to connect my heated vest when I ride in the cold.

@Vulcan. Where did they mount your accessories outlet ?

Someone else on the forum mounted their accessories socket under the seat and directly to the battery.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've used a Battery Tender brand battery saver with my previously-owned scooter. The scooter came standard with a power socket that was wired in directly to the battery, however, the Battery Tender I bought did not come with the accessory wires to hook up via the power outlet, and thus I just wired the pig tail directly to the battery. The pig tail came standard with the Tender, and hooking up was very easy once the pig tail was installed. Just remove the seat (or you might even be able to get the pig tail to stick slightly outside the seat); hook it up, and plug it in.

So I guess what I'm trying to communicate is that if the only reason you want or need a power outlet is for a battery tender, or if you want a power outlet but do not otherwise need it wired in directly to the battery; I wouldn't sweat it or have it wired special just for that. Just hook up the regular pig tail under the seat directly to the battery, and all you have to do is hook it up and plug it in, and you're set. Shouldn't be that much of an inconvenience and since the only time you would need to use the Battery Tender is during multi-week periods of non use, it shouldn't be that big a deal to re install the seat. Since the bike will have been sitting for some time, it wouldn't be advisable just to unplug and go riding anyway. You'll be needing to check tire pressure and other safety checks if the bike has been sitting, so, in my mind, installing the seat back on wouldn't be that big a deal for those circumstances.

Just as a note: A Battery Tender is not only about preventing dead batteries in the short term. As the name implies, Battery Tenders are about taking care of one's battery for longer battery life for equipment that is used only sporadically. I originally used one on my scooter, because I assumed that I may not be able to ride very often in the winter time, and that the bike would be sitting for many weeks or more at a time, which could shorten the battery life. However, once I realized that I can ride at least twice in each two week period throughout the year, I learned that a MC battery holds a charge very well for this length of time, and hooking up the Battery Tender for periods less than two weeks was a waste of time, because the Tender would never go active; especially with a new battery. The Tenders monitor the charge level and go active when necessary, but what you'll find is that if you're riding at least a couple of times per week, the battery will never get weak enough for the Tender to do anything at all. At least this was my experience.

·
Banned
463 Posts
@chip.
@Vulcan. Where did they mount your accessories outlet ?

Peter,
I mounted mine in the storage compartment like Honda calls out. I wanted it primarily to power my GPS.
No need to mount one there or use the Honda socket if you are getting it for charging the battery.
If you are doing it yourself it's a chore to take off all the tupperware to access the storage unit and the wiring harness.

Reactions: chiprussell

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really appreciate everyones input. I am getting the socket to primarily charge phone/GPS or for plugging in heated gear. Since I am in Chicago and the weather here has been snowy and cold, just cautious about battery management especially since bump starting isn't possible on the DCT. Thanks for giving me guidance. Heading to the dealer today to sign the paperwork!

·
Registered
191 Posts
My dealer gave me a battery tender for free with purchase of my CTX 700. They ran the leads to the battery so when I got it home all I had to do was plug in the cord and forget about it. The tender price was $38.99, much cheaper then having the accessory installed from the dealer. Now if you want to run GPS or charge your phone, thats another story. Still for what Honda wants for the parts and installation from dealers, I would tackle this job myself. Radio Shack has a kit with wire and leads for around $12.00 including a mounting bracket.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bought the bike today. The service guys gave me a great run through and already had the pigtails ready for easy tender attachment. So happy to actually own the CTX700DCT. Now the wait for all the accessories to get installed. Can't wait to get her home.

Seriously thanks again.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I whole-heartedly endorse the Powerlet and CEETEX's description.

If you ever plan to carry anyone about whom you care one iota two-up, in cold weather, the Powerlet should be installed as a pair.

I've had Powerlets installed low (ST1300) and on the handlebar (by dealer - Suzuki 650 V-Strom), and both locations are functional. My only concern is that realestate on the handlebar can get scarce with addition of navigation, radio, cruise control, and so on, and the Powerlet in general is not something that needs to be accessed while riding.

By the way, I was surprised to see the recommended location of the Honda accessory outlet. What do they expect people are going to do with it in that restricted location ? If one is planning to power something external to the storage compartment, how would one run the wires ?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I mounted my 12V socket on the black cover plate on the left side of the fairing. Hooked it direct to battery. Wallacem

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I whole-heartedly endorse the Powerlet and CEETEX's description.

If you ever plan to carry anyone about whom you care one iota two-up, in cold weather, the Powerlet should be installed as a pair.

I've had Powerlets installed low (ST1300) and on the handlebar (by dealer - Suzuki 650 V-Strom), and both locations are functional. My only concern is that realestate on the handlebar can get scarce with addition of navigation, radio, cruise control, and so on, and the Powerlet in general is not something that needs to be accessed while riding.

By the way, I was surprised to see the recommended location of the Honda accessory outlet. What do they expect people are going to do with it in that restricted location ? If one is planning to power something external to the storage compartment, how would one run the wires ?
Honda mounts the power outlet in the cubby hole for weather protection since not all outlets are weather proof even when advertised as such. If you do install one there, there is sufficient amount of space to run the power cord through the front of the access lid where the hand divit is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts