CTX 700 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
190 Posts
Give the car companies time to improve their products and to reduce prices until they are cheap enough and good enough for most of the public to want them.
Wait - you want a for-profit company to willingly -and quickly, I suppose, if we’re making wishes- spend their profits to develop tech and drive down prices - which further hurts their bottom line? Yeah, let’s hold our breath waiting for that to happen.

We got where we are, ecologically and climatically speaking, because of companies driving for higher profits at the expense of everything else. Without government mandate, which is theoretically supposed to be the people’s will, very few businesses would sink huge money into an endeavor that won’t have an even huger payoff. Especially when there’re cheaper ways to make even more money.

Expecting or waiting for businesses to be more concerned with public welfare than their own bottom line is laughable at least, and dangerous at worst. Given the state of the world, the dangerous part has already proved true.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Again everything remains to be seen. One thing for certain, in an effort to meet 2035, CA will figure out how to tax something not tomorrow, but today.
Sadly that’s how it is here in CA. Taxes are already high on pretty much everything and it seems like on every election they want to pass and increase the taxes of one thing or an other. It everything goes well, I’ll be moving to Montana in the next 10 years or so....can’t wait!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sadly that’s how it is here in CA. Taxes are already high on pretty much everything and it seems like on every election they want to pass and increase the taxes of one thing or an other. It everything goes well, I’ll be moving to Montana in the next 10 years or so....can’t wait!
This is sad. I am originally from Connecticut and left the state because the liberals decimated what was for many years one of the top five states. They now tax almost everything. Property taxes are also among the highest in the country. Electric rates doubled in one year because of state regulations put on the electric companies. California is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful states in the country, and is in the process of being destroyed by the liberals. If you own real estate, you may not want to wait 10 years to move out.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
An automotive writer for a local paper bought a Tesla. He loves it, but admits that by the time he added the long range battery and added a few options that $40,000 car ended up being $60,000. He was also disappointed to find out that the car does not actually achieve the advertised range if he drives the speed limit. To get the advertised range he needs to drive around 55mph on the expressway, which is just about suicidal in my area. He said that if he goes with the traffic flow it reduces his range by more than 30%. That is in good weather. This is a cold climate northern state. During the winter we often have to drive in the dark going to and from work. We also get a lot of snow, which frequently turns a 45 minute commute into a 2 hour commute. So we drive in the dark on a freezing night during a snowstorm, which means we run the headlights, the heater, and the windshield wipers. This isn't unusual; we have to deal with this regularly for 5-6 months per year. Getting stranded on the road is never fun, but it can be dangerous in bad winter weather. I don't see electric only vehicles being a realistic option for most people in cold climate states anytime soon.

I see the car companies are getting ready to push fully electric pickup trucks. They brag about performance and towing capacity. But whenever I read these articles, I think that people who actually use these vehicles for heavy towing are going to be very disappointed when they find out that the 300 mile advertised range suddenly turns into 125 miles.

I'm not against electric vehicles, not at all. I am a believer in free markets. Let companies build them and let people who want them, buy them voluntarily. But do not force car companies to prematurely stop selling conventionally powered vehicles as they will be needed for a long time in rural areas and in cold climate regions. EV's will improve over time. Give the car companies time to improve their products and to reduce prices until they are cheap enough and good enough for most of the public to want them.
They never get the advertised range. The Live Wire by Harley get 75 miles and slows down progressively while getting there. The claim is 125 miles per charge. Now in hot climates or cold winters, you can expect even less. The electric cars are commuters for in city. Spending 20 minutes to recharge every 100 or so miles, is going to put a dent into any trip, of course assuming that there is a charger on route. Going back roads for the scenery will be out of the question. I would also assume A/C decreases mileage. Until I can go where I want as per gasoline vehicle, I will not consider it. Also it is my understanding that the battery is warranted separately and replacement is based on the life of the battery similar to car battery. When considering that these are around 10K that's a lot of cash.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
They never get the advertised range. The Live Wire by Harley get 75 miles and slows down progressively while getting there. The claim is 125 miles per charge. Now in hot climates or cold winters, you can expect even less. The electric cars are commuters for in city. Spending 20 minutes to recharge every 100 or so miles, is going to put a dent into any trip, of course assuming that there is a charger on route. Going back roads for the scenery will be out of the question. I would also assume A/C decreases mileage. Until I can go where I want as per gasoline vehicle, I will not consider it. Also it is my understanding that the battery is warranted separately and replacement is based on the life of the battery similar to car battery. When considering that these are around 10K that's a lot of cash.
Not to mention the fact that if we get to many electric vehicles, many parts of the electrical grid may have to be seriously overhauled and upgraded. Many here with relevant background could weigh in on this, but it does make sense to me. All the more reason to have one (or many) motorcycles. Doesn't work too well in the Winter in most places in Canada or the norther US, but sill relevant.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A/C barely dents the battery. It’s running the heater that does it. Cold weather works better for batteries, to a degree. Really extreme temperatures - hot or cold - aren’t good for most things and people.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Nothing but common sense in your last paragraph, something most politicians lack.
15% ethanol means I can't even drive my car into Canada, let alone my MC. There will be a lot of voided warranties it would seem

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Despite increases in ethanol content, there remains, and likely will continue to be, several premium blends of fuel with NO ethanol content.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Despite increases in ethanol content, there remains, and likely will continue to be, several premium blends of fuel with NO ethanol content.
So those cars and bikes that can take regular will have to spend more for premium. When I was last in Canada, the price per US gal was $5.00+ US for Regular.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Much ado about nothing. This order has no teeth. What is more important is that GM says it will have 20 electric vehicles by 2023. This fits in with my plans for my next car. I just hope that battery technology will advance fast enough that I can buy an electric motorcycle at the same time. 100 mile reliable range at 65 mph, 30” or less seat height, under 500lb, under $20K. I sure do hate filling my bike at a gas station, PITA.
Doesn't Harley have one of those electric bikes you are looking for now? I was in a Harley dealership last month and they showed me one just like that.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Doesn't Harley have one of those electric bikes you are looking for now? I was in a Harley dealership last month and they showed me one just like that.
Harley has the live wire, and was tested by one of the Consumer MC mags. It gets a max or 75miles and the last 25 are at the speed of a turtle. They advertised it at 125miles to the charge. Overly expensive, no range, and no speed after 50 miles. The ideal bike to get stranded on, at the wrong time.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Harley has the live wire, and was tested by one of the Consumer MC mags. It gets a max or 75miles and the last 25 are at the speed of a turtle. They advertised it at 125miles to the charge. Overly expensive, no range, and no speed after 50 miles. The ideal bike to get stranded on, at the wrong time.
You mean they stuck with the Harley M.O.? :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Harleys latest electric bike problem:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Harley is really late to the game, and seems to have really misunderstood where the market is and what the market wants. The biggest thing they got right was having it charge with DC. Except that’s the future still, as there aren’t enough DC chargers around yet. And they still screwed up charging by not including Level 2, the most widely available semi-fast charging.

·
Registered
68 Posts
whats really sad is solar panels, unless made in a regulated facility mind you but those are far and few between, produce more pollution then they will stop over their lifetime, its just not carbon pollution its chemicals and stuff that ends up in the rivers.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Pttttt -
Polluting, smog, rivers that are to polluted to use - doesn't matter.
AND if its in another country all the better!
Its a good product that sells that matters!!
Come on!

41 - 60 of 68 Posts