CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which means no new gasoline powered vehicles and probably a tax on those grandfathered in. Looks like electric mcs or hydrogen powered will have to better equipped. Of course CA has no electric power at present, brownouts everyhwhere. So add a 10s of thousands electric vehicles being charged, and they will again be screaming for help, or limit charging to certain days. I think they may do that now with electrical use.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Or none of that will happen. Late 2034 whoever is governor then will issue a new executive order moving it to 2055. Californians love their cars & bikes too much. Plus the oil companies have the legislature sewn up, so that announcement was greeted with a yawn here.

·
Super Moderator
6,235 Posts
The technology clearly isn't here yet, it is just wishful thinking! It is a typical political agenda push. Do you really think he will still be governor by then? No way, that will never happen! That is all you need to know, laws change as needed on the fly basically... Flying cars where suppose to be a thing since 1841 and it still hasn't happened to this day!

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Back n 2016, I had a new roof installed on my home, and as part of that we go a 7.32 Kw solar system added. People (including here) tpld me that it would never really work. The month before the install, my PG&E was $750/month After, it dropped to $75. Now, with renegotiating with PG&E and a Tesla Powerwall (battery) my bill last month was $25, and the month before was $16.96. We overproduce on Electricity so they have to credit us on gas. When my wife gets her new commuter vehicle,(electric) we're adding a few more panels, and another battery bank. BTW - with the battery backup, we we're never without electricity during the brown outs. Now, you look at housing from the air, and it's getting rare to see a house without panels. Car dealership, shopping malls, and schools are covering parking lots with solar panel "carports". Tesla superchargrers are a common sight to see at shopping malls.

Gas powered vehicle will always (Maybe) be around, but we're seeing mass conversion here.AMAZON ordered 100,000 new electric delivery trucks.

People said that the "grid"couldn't handle it, but the latest studies show that local electric production actually lowers demand on the grid..Each year, we buy less and less power that comes from long distance transmission lines.

Oh, and since the Covid pandemic, Californians ar actually driving less mileage. Everyone is finally starting to realize that the " jumping the car, and go get it" isn't the most efficient thing to do. A friend who works at a local Toyota dealership says that people are driving less, so their service bays are empty some days.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Or none of that will happen. Late 2034 whoever is governor then will issue a new executive order moving it to 2055. ................
Just like back in 2009 when the Democrats passed a bill that required the oil industry to use 1 billion gallons (or whatever the number was) in gasoline in 2010, and 1.05 in 2011, 1.1 in 2012 and so forth. Announced with great fanfare, got to save the planet after all. Within a couple of years ALL the grades of gasoline were 10% ethanol and going over 10% was coming. So the auto industry, small engine industry and oil companies went to Congress and told them that they were going to screw up most of the engines and most of the older emission systems. Congress changed the law which Democrats QUIETLY voted for.

Reminds me, I have to go rebuild the carb in my leaf blower since the ethanol clogged it up.

Steve

·
Registered
165 Posts
Which means no new gasoline powered vehicles and probably a tax on those grandfathered in. Looks like electric mcs or hydrogen powered will have to better equipped. Of course CA has no electric power at present, brownouts everyhwhere. So add a 10s of thousands electric vehicles being charged, and they will again be screaming for help, or limit charging to certain days. I think they may do that now with electrical use.
Just another reason not to live in California, in spite of it being the most beautiful state in the country.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Much ado about nothing. This order has no teeth. What is more important is that GM says it will have 20 electric vehicles by 2023. This fits in with my plans for my next car. I just hope that battery technology will advance fast enough that I can buy an electric motorcycle at the same time. 100 mile reliable range at 65 mph, 30” or less seat height, under 500lb, under $20K. I sure do hate filling my bike at a gas station, PITA.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again everything remains to be seen. One thing for certain, in an effort to meet 2035, CA will figure out how to tax something not tomorrow, but today.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
191 Posts
The technology is here - the infrastructure isn’t. But it’s getting better all the time.
100 mile reliable range at 65 mph, 30” or less seat height, under 500lb, under $20K.
The only part of this that’s lacking is the price tag - sort of. All of it is available TODAY with a Zero - but Zero doesn’t have DC charging (yet). Other bikes - HD Lightning, Energica - have DC but aren’t cheap enough. Prices will continue to drop, and I’ll be surprised if there’s not a DC charging, <$15k, bike within 3 years. The range at speed is not the real issue - the issue is, how quick can I do it again? Without DC, not quick enough. Even with DC, some folks will chafe at a 20min charge time.

But, it is coming. Have no doubt about that, it is coming, and sooner than a lot of people realize.

·
Registered
424 Posts
That is actually a really interesting and cogent observation regarding the capacity of the Grid in California. You are 💯 right. It's kind of like universal healthcare. You have to build the infrastructure first or it's a non starter. But that said I'm interested to see where this takes electric vehicles. I'm also wondering if battery technology improves where range is increased could it reduce the burden on the grid as we would be charging less frequently? All I know is I want to own an electric vehicle sooner or later. Preferably an autonomous iteration. Motorcycle or car, doesn't matter. But I want to be able to drive it until I decide I want to stop and recharge or I'm too tired to carry on.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Back n 2016, I had a new roof installed on my home, and as part of that we go a 7.32 Kw solar system added. People (including here) tpld me that it would never really work. The month before the install, my PG&E was $750/month After, it dropped to $75. Now, with renegotiating with PG&E and a Tesla Powerwall (battery) my bill last month was $25, and the month before was $16.96. ..........
I'm always curious about this stuff so i ran the numbers for the NREL Pvwatts calculator for your system and it figures your system should generate an average of $150 per month, assuming an elec cost of 15.6 cents per KWh, not $675. So first up - what are you doing that uses $750 per month in residential electical usage or is that a typo?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Much ado about nothing. This order has no teeth. What is more important is that GM says it will have 20 electric vehicles by 2023. This fits in with my plans for my next car. I just hope that battery technology will advance fast enough that I can buy an electric motorcycle at the same time. 100 mile reliable range at 65 mph, 30” or less seat height, under 500lb, under $20K. I sure do hate filling my bike at a gas station, PITA.
100 mile range? I usually ride 230-300 miles on a day trip. If I decide to take some time to ride the mountain areas of North Carolina/Tennessee I ride 600-700 day just to get there. A 100 mile range bike that takes 8 hours? to recharge would never work for me. Stopping at a gas station takes 5-10 minutes to go another 175 miles, even with the small 3.2 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
401 Posts
People said that the "grid"couldn't handle it, but the latest studies show that local electric production actually lowers demand on the grid..Each year, we buy less and less power that comes from long distance transmission lines.
This is what will transform the US: Solar power is becoming cheap enough to put on homes, to put on vehicles, to install in smaller power plants for regions, for communities, for neighborhoods. Eventually, so many people will be providing their own power that the regional grids will only be needed to provide emergency power, or to redistribute local power as needed.

When we reach this point, including improving battery technology and other power systems, we'll be able to personalize power generation and maintenance and significantly reduce the need of dirty power.

·
Registered
251 Posts
For me personally, the range and recharging time are critical. When I can't hop on the bike and enjoy a few hundred miles in a few hours, the bike will be no more use to me. It would take a full charge of the battery just to reach the places I would want to explore. You can't legislate or mandate technological advancement into existence, try as they might.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I'm always curious about this stuff so i ran the numbers for the NREL Pvwatts calculator for your system and it figures your system should generate an average of $150 per month, assuming an elec cost of 15.6 cents per KWh, not $675. So first up - what are you doing that uses $750 per month in residential electical usage or is that a typo?
2800 sq. Ft. Home. 100+ degree days. 2 a/c units. Source from PG&E, highest price per Kw in the country. Actual yearly usage $4600 For the elect part of the bill. Months vary depending on usage. Higher electric bills in the summer, lower in the winter.

Also we pay based on time of day. Higher per Kw in the 2-8pm bracket, less after 8pm. Our compensation from PG & E is also based on time of day.
Sound better?

·
Registered
108 Posts
So, I did throw in my personal requirements for an electric motorcycle, reliable 100 mile range at speed being one of them. My touring days over, I am content to ride within a 50 mile radius just for a bit of fun. Right now, the Zero SR with Power Tank would fulfill my requirements, if I could have it lowered a couple of inches. And yes, it could just happen.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2800 sq. Ft. Home. 100+ degree days. 2 a/c units. Source from PG&E, highest price per Kw in the country. Actual yearly usage $4600 For the elect part of the bill. Sound better?
In Arizona what started out as a good idea, now has become a headache. You have to sell you electric to APS, and in return they sell it back to you at a higher price. It is illegal to go off the grid. They use to install and supply the panels for free, buying back only that which was not used. That was stopped. One fact is immutable. A corporation that has control will not allow itself to not increase its profits. There is no benevolence, only quarterly profit. California buys its electric from AZ Polo Verde and because of the increase of LEDs, better consumer use and panels, the profits are suffering so they again want to increase their rates. Where is that hydrogen engine?

·
Premium Member
Yamaha Roadstar,BMW S1000RR, Honda CTX 700
64 Posts
So, I did throw in my personal requirements for an electric motorcycle, reliable 100 mile range at speed being one of them. My touring days over, I am content to ride within a 50 mile radius just for a bit of fun. Right now, the Zero SR with Power Tank would fulfill my requirements, if I could have it lowered a couple of inches. And yes, it could just happen.
I agree. To wean us from oil-take baby steps 😘😭

1 - 20 of 68 Posts